What's new
World Wide Stereo

Reciever help for $200-$300 dollar budget (1 Viewer)

Chuck_J

Grip
I want to replace my old surround sound receiver I've own since 1993 with a good 5.1-7.1 receiver. Problem is, I have a tight budget to work with.

My current system is set up in my 19x17 family room. I'm not quite ready to set up my basement with THE home theater yet. But I do want to enjoy the home theater sound with the space I have now.

My system consists of a Pioneer DV-563A DVD player that has SACD and DVD-A capability, Sony 6 disc CD player and Don't laugh, Bose AM-10 speakers. I should probably purchase another subwoofer to compliment the sub that came with the AM-10 set.

With all that said, I need recommendations on a good receiver to purchase. Based on my needs I think I can get by with a 5.1 channel receiver since, I only have 5 satellite speakers. I've been looking at the Pioneer line such as the VSX D912K, VSX D914K and the VSX D514.

Should I stick with a budget 5.1 or venture out to something higher? I don't plan to add additional speakers to my current system other than a sub.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can provide. I'm a newbie to all of this. Thanks

728x90

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Check out the Sherwood RD-7108. It is a 6.1 channel A/V receiver with 2 coaxial and 1 digital audio inputs. It has limited video inputs though so you can't do much video component switching with it if that's what you need. I have the RD-6108 and it is an excellent receiver and the 7108 has gotten excellent reviews. It also has the 6 channel analog inputs for SACD/DVD-A playback. Check it out at http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_rd7108.html

This receiver can be found for less than $100.00.;)

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator
Can't go wrong with the digital panny's either
I have the XR-50
and i couldnt be happier, I think you would have a hard time finding a better bang for your buck.

Will-Layfield

Stunt Coordinator
chuck before I even saw this thread I was going to click on it and suggest a pio but it appears that you have already come to that conclusion yourself. I myself have a yammie and could not be happier with it. I would suggest a pio from the 814 and up like you are looking already. The 814 has preouts which no other reciever listed has so I would go with it over the ones listed. It is in your price range as well. And if you decide to go with the 914 or 1014 you would only be getting a niccer reciever. The sherwood mentioned would be an option if you were on a tighter budget because it is less expensive than the ones you and I listed, but if you have the $250 to spend I would spend it to get the nicer reciever w/preouts.

Chuck_J

Grip
Thanks for your suggestions. One other thing. Do I really need anything other than a 5.1ch receiver. I know the price have come down on the 6.1ch receivers, but since I only have the Bose AM-10 speakers wouldn't anything higher than 5.1 overkill? Will a 7.1 receiver work with only 5 speakers, especially the Bose?

I do like the Pioneer receivers, but I've read on this board where the THD percentage is relatively high. How much should I be concern with that on an entry level home theater set-up?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
6.1 and 7.1 receivers will have no problem with only 5 speakers. The extra surround channels will just be down mixed to the normal 2.

John VonThaden

Auditioning
I might also add that you should consider the Onkyo 502, which is in your price range. I just got one for $200 and am amazed with the value.

GaryRoboff

Auditioning
One more to consider, the brand new Sherwood RD-8601. This six channel receiver is available online for prices between $266 and $299, and has significant features at an amazing price. The RD-8601 uses the same Crystal CS-49400 surround processor as the current top of the line Shrerwood Newcastle products, and features component video switching, universal video upconversion, and automatic speaker set-up complete with a microphone! I don't see how you can go wrong at this price. The instruction manual is available on
Sherwood's web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks