What's new
World Wide Stereo

Receiver for Adire 281s (1 Viewer)

Brandon-K

Grip
I know I don't post here (I lurk mainly), but I was hoping to get some input regardless.
I have the Adire Kit 281's, and I love them. They are 4 ohm and I currently have the Pioneer SX-255r receiver now, but I want something that is at least 5.1 w/ audio and video switching, not just audio. I've looked and it seems really hard to find 4 ohm stable receivers. What can I do? What does everyone recommend I get? I haven't decided what my price limit is yet, but definately only a couple hundred. Thx guys.

Brandon Kahre

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Brandon,

I don't know too much about receivers, but since I'm a Kit281 owner I have one piece of advice. Don't go out of your way trying to find a receiver with high power output, just find a nice little one that's OK with 4 ohm loads. These speakers are inefficient, can handle huge amounts of power and it's not worth trying to get the most of them with a low cost receiver. They will actually be loud enough for most music and movies with 20 watt peaks but you won't get the awe inspiring loud music capability. Some time down the line it will be easy to buy a stereo amplifier of 200 wpc or more, relatively cheaply.

See, I first had a 100 watt integrated amplifier when I built my Kit281s. It went really loud, and sounded fine. But then I got new amplifiers (actually built them) which are much stronger. And I can't get much louder sound, but at high volumes it just sounds better and it feels like there's much more force behind the sound. I hadn't realized how unfulfilling it was to get relatively weak and distorted, loud music from a small and cheap amplifier. So don't worry about finding a receiver that has the power to get very loud, because I'm betting that the sound quality would be compromised and using it at those power levels would be pointless.

Brandon-K

Grip
hmm, so your recommendation is to get a receiver w/out amp and buying or building my own? How much do stereo home amplifiers cost? I've only dealt with car audio until now so I'm totally new to what's available and what's not.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Well, I kind of meant to buy a low powered receiver (with its own amplifiers) to get by for now, and be able to add a separate, more powerful amp later. A "receiver" without built in amplifiers is usually called a preamp/processor and those are mostly used in very expensive systems. The kind of amplifier you'd want to really push the 281s would be necessarily large, probably costing $400 or more. In fact the parts cost for the amplifier I'm using is $400 although if you're willing to build an amp yourself it could be done much cheaper.

Brandon-K

Grip
ouch, don't think I can afford a $400 amplifier so I'd rather get one that would be cheap and still suffice. My Pioneer right now suffices as far as power goes (IMO), but I need video switching and sub preouts. Can anyone recommend anything?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Right! I wish I could help you with picking receivers... just wanted to let you know that any power rating 30 watts or more will be "good enough."

Brandon-K

Grip
good to know. So far other boards have recommended:
Harman Kardon AVR 320-Z (the one I'm leaning towards currently)
Denon AVR-1803 (can't find too much good info on it)
and a few thousand dollar + ones :laugh:

Perhaps I should start asking about the AVR 320-z then?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Since the H/K AVR-320 is now 2 generations behind, you might consider looking for the AVR-325 or AVR-325Z instead.

Brandon-K

Grip
the reason I was going towards the 320-z is because it can be had refirbed on HarmanKardon's site (under specials) for $300 instead of $700. I imagine that the 325's would be closer to the 700, right? What's the difference in the two really? Are you hinting that the 320-z may be oudated now?

Brandon

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

The AVR-320 is a 7.1 receiver, but only has "5" amplified channels. Should you ever desire to run speakers #6 and #7 in the future, you would need to connect a separate 2-channel power amp to do so. The AVR-325 is a 7.1 receiver, with 7 channels of amplified power. Additionally, there are some other differences, too.

The AVR-325 should be nowhere near $700 at this point in time. It should only be $50 - $75 more than the AVR-320.

Yes, I'd be willing to stick my neck out and indicate that the AVR-320 is getting a little out-dated at this point in time.

[Edit]: I found an AVR-325 on eBay for a "buy it now" price of $300 - and the seller is throwing in some Sony speakers, too. Also, I found refurbed AVR-325s for $344 and $359.

You might want to look into a new Pioneer as well. I have the VSX-912K. It is a 6.1 with 110 watts per channel. The reason I recommend it is that it has a very clever auto setup system called MCACC. A microphone is provided that plugs into the receiver. You place it where you would normally sit and hit the setup button. It automatically sets the levels for all your speakers, including your sub, if you are running one. Then later you can see what it thought the distance was from your listening postition to each of the speakers. Very accurate! One factor that influenced my decision was that I (well, my ex actually) still has my Pioneer integrated amp from the 70's that still runs just fine - or so I hear.

Auto video switching, assignable digital audio inputs etc. List goes on and on. Very nice and not much money. I paid about 275 plus shipping for a total just over 300 bucks. Great remote is included that I was able to get to run all of rest of my gear, though I later got a Home Theater Master MX-500 which I HIGHLY recommend for running your HT. About 100 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sp2024
Recent bookmarks