What's new

Reasonable cost of upgrading to HD is absolutely a rewarding experience! (1 Viewer)

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
isn't another big question that once they pull the plug on 1080i, won't those of us (who have newer tv's with HDMI that only display 1080i, not 1080p) be stuck down to 480i or whatever? I hope the studios (IF they do it) change the flag to 1080i, NOT only 1080p. that's my 2¢

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Jerome,

Let me see how good my memory is...don't you have the KP-57WS520 model like me? :) For some reason I remember we bought our sets at the same time (Dec 04). Sorry if I'm thinking of someone else.

On any rate, just some advice on the matter. The Sony CRT RPTV actually perform better at 480p component with SD DVD...and 1080i component with HD....this even the case with the HD-A1 as I had the player for a brief time. I've had my set professionally calibrated inside and out and HDMI gives a slightly darker image with less contrast....and upscaling SD DVD softens the image a bit as compared to just sticking with component 480p.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Don't believe everything you hear.......

HD DVD's, except for 3 or 4 titles with known mastering booboos, are worlds better than ANY upconverted DVD when viewed on a properly calibrated high quality 1080 display. I suspect that most, if not all, who make this claim are not displaying HD DVD at full resolution on a 1920x1080 display, or are sitting 3 or more screen widths from the image and therefore are not fully realizing the potential of the HD DVD title.

Ted

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This I cannot agree with.

While upconverted SD-DVDs do look awesome they are no where close to that of an HD-DVD. I'm running my A1 on a Z3 via HDMI and the difference is very noticeable.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Say what?

I'm aware of the potential for the ICT (image constraint token) to be used sometime in the future. Though it is likely it won't be used for a good long while (or the studios are nuts). ICT would down rez HD DVD and BD to 540p over component.

I'm also aware of the DOT (digital only token) that would limit output of HD DVD and BD players to only the digital (HDMI) connection with nothing going out over component. This is also something that isn't likely to be used for a long, long time. And when it is you can be sure of a shit storm that will likely not let it happen.

But I've heard absolutely nothing about a future possibility of the digital output being limited to 1080p while excluding 1080i. I never heard of such a ludicrous thing, and I spend WAY too much time reading about these formats every day (I mean WAY, WAY too much time).

Where did you hear that? I suspect you may be confusing the DOT issue maybe? Because even if DOT was used, you'd still be able to output 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and probably 480p/i (as long as it is over the HDMI connection).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks