What's new

Rear ported Center Channel in entertainment Center (1 Viewer)

Ray Nist

Agent
I currently have the paradigm cc-370 and mini monitors with SVS 16-46PC+ as my main system in my gameroom, but am looking to upgrade my 'game' system which is used mostly for xbox games and the occasional DVD. This system is a mix match system currently:

MainsOld Cerwin Vega VS-12

Ray Nist

Agent
sorry, accidentally hit enter, let me finish:

Mains - Old Cerwim Vega VS-12's
Center - Optimus Lineaum Center
Surrounds - Original Optimus LX5's
Sub - SVS 20-39PC+

I am looking for a center channel that will go below my TV in a storage area with doors that open out. The Optimus Center is front ported. I really like my Paradigm center and was thinking of going with their CC-170, and later updating the other speakers to Atoms. Will this center, or any rear ported center work if the ports face an enclosed area? The area is about 2.5ft wide, 20inches deep, and 1 foot high.

Thanks
Ray Nist

James Edward

Supporting Actor
A rear ported speaker should not be placed in an enclosed space. I'm sure there are people out there using them this way, but it can't be an optimal setup. If it has to be enclosed, you should look for a front port design. If you like Paradigm, PSB is another high value speaker in the same price range.

Ray Nist

Agent
What about plugging the ports? I have heard that paradigm sells port plugs for their speakers.

--Ray

do you have a website for PSB?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
PSB

I'll let the more knowledgeable speaker builders here reply, but I would think that plugging the port changes the design parameters of the speaker.

The PSB Alpha Series, and the Image Series are the ones to compare with the Atom and other smaller speakers in the Paradigm line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks