What's new

Amazon Prime Reacher (2022) - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the final episode of the Second Season and really enjoyed it. I love the relationship between Reacher and Neagley. IMO, she's Reacher's soulmate and I'm not talking romantically, but rather as friends/family they similarly view the world with their lone wolf persona.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Watched the season ended.

Very glad I was wrong about guessing one of the team was a rat.

This was one of my favorite seasons of a tv show.
Not one single complaint.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My problem with this franchise is more conceptual than specific. Reacher considers himself a lawman, but his willingness to be judge, jury, and executioner means that he's basically a serial killer. I found this season to be more egregious than the first in that arena; some of his kills were a life-and-death necessity, but the majority of them could have been turned over to law enforcement to stand trial. We're supposed to accept his body count because he's killing the "right" people, but that doesn't sit comfortably with me. And the fact that his friends in law enforcement actively work to cover up his crimes because he was useful to them really doesn't sit well with me.

I just feel like Ritchson does his best acting...elsewhere. He's perfect but I always feel like he's acting.
"Titans" was a far worse show than "Reacher", but I feel like he gave a much better performance in that. I think the problem here is that his stoic and taciturn comes across as wooden.

I also feel like the fights aren't as hard hitting as the first season. Reacher is a BRUTAL fighter and it feels toned down in some episodes.
I think that's because it was a team season instead of a mostly solo season. A group of good guys against a group of bad guys is going to be less hands on than a single good guy against a single bad guy.

The one thing that got a little old was Reacher repeatedly telling Neagley, "Did I ever tell you you were smart" and her responding, "Not nearly enough" or words to that effect.
They did overuse it a bit (they should have once-per-episode limit). But I did like the payoff at the bonfire at the end, with "Did I ever tell you you're a good friend, Reacher?" "Not nearly enough."

I wish I was loving S2 as I did S1, but I find Reacher to be more compelling as a loner protagonist, vs this season's "Reacher and the Outsiders" we're getting in order for it to be a more personal situation for him and the 110th.
It was a mixed bag for me. I liked get more backstory about how he got himself driven out of the military, and I liked getting to see his former deputies being extraordinary in their specific ways. But because of all of the geography involved, I feel like this season had far less of a sense of place than the first season. Margrave had a gravity to it that kept pulling a reluctant Reacher back in. This season was a more straightforward revenge thriller.

I love the relationship between Reacher and Neagley. IMO, she's Reacher's soulmate and I'm not talking romantically, but rather as friends/family they similarly view the world with their lone wolf persona.
It's so rare to see a genuine platonic friendship between a man and a woman like they share. It's more intimate than the relationships he has with anyone else, even the women he's sleeping with. And I'm fascinated by the dichotomy with Neagley; she's this fearsomely intelligent and fearsomely competent badass who is also quite childlike in some ways -- the love for chocolate milk and sugary cereals, the obsession with video games, her complete lack of sexual interest in anyone.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My problem with this franchise is more conceptual than specific. Reacher considers himself a lawman, but his willingness to be judge, jury, and executioner means that he's basically a serial killer. I found this season to be more egregious than the first in that arena; some of his kills were a life-and-death necessity, but the majority of them could have been turned over to law enforcement to stand trial. We're supposed to accept his body count because he's killing the "right" people, but that doesn't sit comfortably with me. And the fact that his friends in law enforcement actively work to cover up his crimes because he was useful to them really doesn't sit well with me.

I understand exactly what you're saying, and agree with it. I hate the idea of someone seeing Reacher, or similar characters, as a role model. But... (you knew there'd be a "but")

That said, there's something cathartic about this type of story/character, and it's because the real world is so messy. Violence is rampant. Legitimate law enforcement is too often problematic, whether because they messed up and killed an innocent person, or arrested, tried, and convicted someone of a crime they didn't do. When someone like Reacher, or John Wick, or Jack Bauer, or even Batman comes along and wreaks havoc on a bad guy, it's because we know that they're getting a real (and often loathsome) bad guy. It's a fantasy, pure and simple. I don't want to see this sort of thing happen in the real world, but I'm OK with it when it's a fantasy world.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure Reacher considers himself a lawman. I think he has a strong moral sense of right and wrong and does what is necessary to help people who are victims. I don't think he cares much about administrative justice, as he would then need to hang around town until the trial and become involved repeatedly as a witness. He's a man who takes direct action to right wrongs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think that's a misconception on your part because I don't think he sees himself as any kind of lawman any longer.

Those that read the books might have to offer their thoughts, but Reacher just might not be your cup of tea because I think the general theme in the books is exactly what doesn't sit well with you.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
A couple notes about the finale.

1) After the first time he had to restrain the gurney with Dixon on it he should have knocked it over.

2) Was there anything in the previous episodes where he mentioned interacting with homeland security? His instincts about the congressman were spot on and he expected a double cross. OTOH, the "reinforcements" went in without coordination/cooperation with Neagley and it was obvious they had their own priorities which is something she could have told Reacher (or does in the book).

3) Well, that entire bit about Reacher being too sentimental about an old teammate was graphically shown to be a red herring.

4) Where did Neagley pick up the SAM launcher she used later? I didn't see anything like it in the truck, OTOH, it would make sense to have launchers in addition to the ammo in the shipment.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Watched the season ended.

Very glad I was wrong about guessing one of the team was a rat.

This was one of my favorite seasons of a tv show.
Not one single complaint.
I finished it tonight, and I felt similarly. The payoffs were greatly cathartic; there was some sentiment, but not an overwhelming amount. Only made me look forward even more to another season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think that's a misconception on your part because I don't think he sees himself as any kind of lawman any longer.

Those that read the books might have to offer their thoughts, but Reacher just might not be your cup of tea because I think the general theme in the books is exactly what doesn't sit well with you.
It's not enough to put me off of the show (obviously) because there a lot I like about it too, and I'm able to shift my brain into that eighties action movie mindset. But I do think Reacher (and his teammates) are more antiheroes than heroes.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
2) Was there anything in the previous episodes where he mentioned interacting with homeland security?

Not specifically. But the guy who showed up was one of the (I think) FBI agents that Reacher talked to in an earlier episode. That scene was even shown in the "previously on" segment at the beginning.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not specifically. But the guy who showed up was one of the (I think) FBI agents that Reacher talked to in an earlier episode. That scene was even shown in the "previously on" segment at the beginning.
He was a Homeland Security agent that worked with Reacher’s brother.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Well, as far as this season, the series differs from the book pretty radically, especially in the finale. The arms dealer is dealt with differently, much more by the book, and there is zero sentimentality after the job is done. The farewells aren't even dramatized. It's actually all done quickly in a few paragraphs of description. I need to re-read it, my memory is fuzzy after so many of these, but the TV show does a good job of making these folks real people.

I watched the second Cruise movie, it wasn't nearly as good as the first. An okay actioner, but nothing special, not particularly involving and Cobie Smulders and Cruise had zero chemistry. Honestly, she wasn't the best choice for the role.

I love how every Tom Cruise action film now has to include scene of him running.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finished season two earlier today. This season, Reacher takes on more of a 'The Punisher' approach to the various antagonists encountered. He straight up murders multiple individuals this season that could have been dealt with via the judicial system. Individuals who were not in life and death situations where violence is more permissible, BTW. The violence in season one felt a bit more justified, whereas this season was essentially scorched earth.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the show and the character that Ritchson and the creative talent have produced, but I have to approach the series from a vicarious mindset as Jerry aptly described in post #85 of this thread.

Having gotten that out of the way, some of the things I liked about season two include:

The development of the Neagley character - I think Robert's description of her relationship with Reacher is right on the money.

With more folks from Reacher's past, there was a lot more banter, which provided much of the humor in season two. Particularly liked the back and forth with O'Donnell. ( Someone had an issue with Rutgers. :) )

Happy to be mistaken about Dixon.

I really enjoyed the scene at the diner at the end of episode eight. Neagley didn't have a mark on her, and everyone else was beat to Hell. :) Just shows how much Neagley is a bad ass.

Looking forward to season three, and while I think Neagley will appear for at least an episode or two in S3; I believe next year will be more of the 'lone wolf' Reacher we saw in season one. I am also guessing there may also be a new romantic interest in season three.

- Walter.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
It's not enough to put me off of the show (obviously) because there a lot I like about it too, and I'm able to shift my brain into that eighties action movie mindset. But I do think Reacher (and his teammates) are more antiheroes than heroes.
Reacher has always been an antihero, at least from what I have seen (movies and TV).

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks