What's new

Raves Continue! The absolute best animated comedy series: THE FAMILY GUY - A must buy! (1 Viewer)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
That baby is hysterical and steals every scene he's in!
By far, my favorite character in the series. I find the news anchors quite funny also.

Diane Simmons: Our top story tonight, I have been cast as the lead in the Quahog Players' production of The King And I.
Tom Tucker: In other news, I wont be going to the play because I'm sure it will be lousy.
Diane Simmons: This just in: Tom, you're such a closet case.
Tom Tucker: We now go live to Diane being a bitch. Diane?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I don't get the "poor animation" posts. What's poor about it? If you want lousy animation, try something from Japan where the characters barely move.

I'm also surprised to see people liking FG & hating Clerks or vice versa, since the humor seems similar to me.

I think a lot of the FG detractors either don't get the pop culture references (maybe an age thing) or aren't into that. Wonder how many of these folks also dislike Dennis Miller.

Gotta love a show with a Fatty Arbuckle reference. :emoji_thumbsup:

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I think a lot of the FG detractors either don't get the pop culture references (maybe an age thing) or aren't into that. Wonder how many of these folks also dislike Dennis Miller.
I got all the pop culture references (I'm 32). I like Dennis Miller a lot... though less than I used to since he got all weird and gung ho pro-Bush.

I was thinking a lot about this show yesterday. It seems to me like the show has good jokes, and the characters only exist to act them out. The gags aren't really tied to the context. It's just "how can we shoehorn this pop culture reference into this story?".

Here's an example. There's a Simpsons episode where Milhouse buys pogs, and he's all happy because he's got an Alf pog. "Remember ALF, Bart!?" It's not funny just because it's a reference to this hokey show we all remember. It's funny because Milhouse is so excited about it. Whereas I think Family Guy would just mention Alf and expect us to laugh about it.

And I thought of a similar example regarding the shock humor. When Cartman has a giant satellite dish coming out of his ass, that's not the funny part. The funny part is how vehemently he denies it's happening. It's all about context. And what I saw of Family Guy (which I'll be the first to admit was very little) did not make good use of context.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I'm leaving for California this afternoon and
will be gone for a week.

Can I leave you all with this thought?

We encourage spirited debate on this forum.
However, this thread has somewhat diminished into
arguments that are consistently going back and
forth between a small group of people.

I think at this point everyone has sort of
pointed out their pro's and con's for Family
Guy
. Those who have already racked up their
fair share of posts in this thread should perhaps
cool down for a bit and leave the thread open
for others who may be encouraged to give their
opinions, but don't because of the constant
arguing here.

Thanks

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanx Ron,

Haven't posted in this thread yet, mostly because of fear of getting caught in the crossfire, but now...

Gotta say, I'm loving this show - Caught a few episodes on TV during the original run (when I could find it) and laughed a lot... But now seeing them again, they're hysterical to me - Don't have the first box, but purchased the second set and have watched 3/4 of it in the last week...

I believe it was Gene Siskel (rest in peace) who at one point said that there are two things that can never be explained to someone else - What you think is funny and what you think is sexy....

Please correct me if I have the source wrong, but I think this is very relevant to the prior conversations on this show... I know what I like and because of personal experiences and different exposures to other types of humor, my best friend might not find "KISS saves Santa" or the episode with the nudists all that funny... I've got nudists three apartments away, ground floor of the complex, they don't shut their blinds, and I've always wondered about whether or not I'd be willing to sit on their couch... So when Peter starts SaranWrap-ping their sofa, I absolutely died laughing...

Not for everyone, but surely a missed jewel for many - and yes, that was just my OPINION...

Brian

Stunt Coordinator
If you want lousy animation, try something from Japan where the characters barely move.
Huhwah? Have you watched anything from Japan since the 70's? Speed Racer does not represent current Japanese animation. For example, Hayao Miyazaki (a Japanese animator) is widely considered the best animator EVER. Not to mention, most animation on TV these days is actually done overseas, primarily in Korea.

-B

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Family guy takes something we remember, but puts a spin on it. I liked the episode where Peter is going to all his past girlfriends and he goes to his old girlfriend Pattie (she opens the door and says she's changed a lot). Pattie's girlfriend comes and puts her arm around her. Come on, it a common joke that Peppermint Pattie (charlie brown) was with that girl who called her Sir... :)

I love it when they go to "Asian reporter Trisha Takanowa: Live in a seedy motel."

paraphrase***

Thanks Tom, I'm standing here in a dirty motel room with a strange man I met in a bar that I will be having sex with in just a short while.

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
this is my first post in this thread, i was going to leave it alone since it seemed like it would be a Family Guy worship thread, and i wasnt gonna go against that, but i see there are some people saying here that they dont like the show so i will join in as i am one of those people.

i think its an OK show, kinda funny sometimes, but i think it lacks intelligence. i think the jokes are really cheap and easy, nothing special. i would enjoy the show more without the little flashback scenes for every joke. i think its redundant. for example, when they say something like, oh this reminds me of when that coyote bit me in the ass, and then they have to show the flashback of a coyote biting him in the ass. ya ok, i got that already, you dont have to flashback EVERY JOKE IN THE SHOW. too simple and redundant for me but im sure most of the fans of the show enjoy it, and to each their own. the show isnt for me but thats OK.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Brian, the animation on a lot of newer shows isn't a whole lot better, technically speaking, than Speed Racer. Dragonball Z, Trigun, Sailor Moon and Pokemon all use pretty obvious cost-cutting measures for their animation. Not there aren't a lot of shows and especially movies from Japan that look great, but penny-pinching is still alive and well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks