What's new
World Wide Stereo

Quick CD Player Connection Question (1 Viewer)

easchmid

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Schmidt
I am in the process of making all necessary connections for my first home theater-ish setup, and I believe I understand how to hook up my TV, DVD player, satellite box, and receiver. However, I have a couple questions regarding my CD player. I have an old Sony CD Player (CDP-CE525) that I need to connect to my Onkyo HT-R550 receiver (the receiver that comes with the HT-SR800 HTiB).

1) The connection between my CD player and older receiver was made with an RCA cable. If I were to use the digital optical output on the CD player with my new receiver would that potentially result in better sound (I only listen to regular CDs) or should I continue to use the RCA cable?

2) My DVD player is an Oppo DV-980H. Does it have the potential to play CDs (again, regular CDs, not the fancy DVD ones I have read about) better than the Sony CD player referenced above?

I appreciate any info...thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

easchmid

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Schmidt
Thanks...I still plan on hooking up the Sony since it is my only 5 disc changer...anybody out there who can answer question #1?

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I have found that using the analog (RCA) outputs on CD players generally gives a warmer, less digital sound. You may find no difference at all depending on your system.

The only upside I have found with most CD players is that you can play DTS CD's if you hook up the opticle. So for your setup I would save the money and go RCA.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
heh-- less digital.

Here's the rub-- you can connect your cd to your receiver via analogue cables, set your receiver to direct mode, and listen to the unmolested output of your CD players DACs. But, "direct" does not use the subwoofer.

(This is how I listen to a lot of music-- but my receiver (an onkyo 502) has lower quality DACs than my SACD player (sony 2000es), and my bookshelf speakers outclass my subwoofer. I'm not sure if I can hear much difference, but, hey...)

Any other mode has the receiver convert the analogue inputs into digital, apply filters to the digital signal, and then convert the sound back into analogue. A digital connection would be less error prone, unless you fear jitter.

Probably doesn't make much difference, and coax cables are cheap/easy to find.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

My understanding is that CD players must have the DTS logo on the front, other wise it won't play DTS cds.

It's all subjective. I use to think that using the optical or coax connection would sound better and I have to admit as far as I'm concern I did find the analog connection more uncompressed and natural. Great bass from the speakers and sub, still clear sound. DTS CDs I use directly through the DVD player and it sounds just as warm and enveloping.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Nope, no logo needed. The CD player just thinks a DTS-CD is another regular CD......but make sure the player's digital output is chosen on the receiver because what you'll hear through the player's analog outputs definitely won't sound like music!! In fact that intense noise can damage speakers if it is turned up loud enough (that 1200kbps DTS-encoded data stream looks like gibberish to the player's PCM stereo DAC, hence the nasty white noise that is heard).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks