What's new

Questions on 2nd Home Theater (1 Viewer)

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if people would get a separate receiver and dvd player for a second Home Theater or would they try to use existing equipment? My HT is downstairs 65"Toshiba rear projection,Denon 5800 receiver (7.1). I am closing off our vaulted ceiling in the living room so I will have a room upstairs approx. 12x15. I could run a cable from downstairs to upstairs to use the multi room on the denon but it seems like it might become a hassle to share equipment.
There is a lot of light from windows so I don't think a projector would work. I was thinking about going with a DLP.
I was going to pre-wire for 7.1 does anyone have any suggestions on speaker cable for the 4 surrounds?
My downstairs has big speakers mirage M5-si. I was looking for a whole new look and sound for this one. Any suggestions would be great.
mark

John S

Senior HTF Member
Buy your soeaker cable at Home Depot or any decent hardware store.

12 gauge is awesome 14 guage works great as well. 16 gauge is starting to get just a little light for my tastes. I used 14 gauge myself.

It is a hassle to share equipment in that manner. Most of the milti-zone AVR's only support the second zone from 2 channel analog sources.

Denon 5800 aye?? I can somewhat see your concern. That sets a very high standard you are used to, going to cheap up in the new room will probably result in dissapointment.

If you need speaker suggestions, post up in that section. They do not want product reccomendations in the basics area.

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of home depot for the wire I saw they had spindles of all gauge wire there.
I still have time before I need a receiver.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
before you buy just any speaker wire, do some research. this is something that if installed in the wall, you will NEVER be able to get at again. If you are hiring any work done, they likely won't use speaker wire bought off the spool at Home Depot. Look for wire rated UL and CL2 CL3 wires. Check your local codes before you buy anything, some require more specific types of wires for in wall instalation.
look at places like parts express or connectxpress for good deals on quality speaker wire.

edit...
looks like connectxpress is gone. too bad. do a search for 12 gauge speaker wire, there will be a lot of places selling in bulk. and likely cheaper that buying whatever is in stock at your local hardware store.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You want to use 12 ga for long runs.

A speaker website (not selling wires) once recommended this:

1-10 ft: 16 ga
11-20 ft: 14 ga
20+ ft: 12 ga

A long run of speaker wire will roll-off the higher frequencies. Thicker wire reduces the problem, but does not eliminate it. Since 12 ga is not that much more expensive than thinner stuff - buy a spool of it and use it for everything.

SHARING EQUIPMENT:

Dont.

Video sources like HD CATV box's and DVD players are dirt-cheap. If you try to share things - some part of the second system will not be independent of the main system and if someone is watching a movie downstairs - you want a totally different system upstairs to watch something else.

This is a good opportunity to research budget-but-good equipment and buy used. I put together a really good sounding HT system for my mother with scratch-and-dent M&K speakers, a used "Home Theater Direct" subwoofer, a older-but-respected Yamaha reciever and her existing DVD player. Check out eBay and CraigsList for good deals - but be patient.

Example: I just saw a Yamaha A1 reciever (orig $2500) selling used for $400. If I did not already have an A1 in my system - I would have gone for it.

Take your time (a few months) and put things together slowly after researching the parts. You will learn a LOT about how things work and may be shocked at how last-years equipment is half the price - but tends to NOT be a leap in improvement.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance

NEVER is a REAL LONG time, hehe. it is possible to get at and run more wire, I have been here for some years and almost EVERYBODY here makes that same mistake , Granted it is easier to run B4 drywall but it is NOT impossible to run wires after drywall :)

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for answering my questions. 12 ga it is and I will look for new/used equipment. My wife won't like it but it should keep me busy for awhile. You guys are right about the used equipment. Some of that stuff is going for cheap. When I think what I paid for my denon 5800, used might be the way to go.
mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks