What's new

Question on Onkyo TXSR-705 (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I am debating on upgrading from my 5 year old Kenwood VR-507 to the new Onkyo 705. I have never used the Kenwood as a video pass through, as I've never needed it and have always been skeptical.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

However, with the 705's Faroudja video processing, I'm debating on whether I can start and hook the Xbox 360 via component, my HDDVR via HDMI, and my 2 year old Sony progressive scan DVD player up to it, and send those sources all across HDMI to my television.

I do have a question, I know the receivers pass HDMI exactly through.. what comes in goes out. So the HDDVR will pass through exactly what it is sending.

And the Xbox 360, if it is set at 720P through component, will pass that through. If it's sent to 1080i, it will convert to 720p. Frankly, on my 32 inch Samsung HDTV I can't tell a difference between 720P and 1080i, probably because it's a smaller screen.

Will the 480P signal the DVD player is sending out be upconverted to 720P in the receiver to be sent to my TV? And if so, should I notice somewhat of an improvement?

thanks in advance...

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I almost ordered a 705 yesterday, but cancelled it after I read about lip-sync issues that this unit seems to have, along with the 805... Anyone at this forum familiar with these problems? I know it's discussed extensively at AVS but I want the HTF perspective too.

tsunami

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I own one.

I am really happy with it too. I see (and saw before I bought it) postings about lip synch issues too. But there were so many positive reviews that I figured it was either a fluke or some other issue. At least I was willing to buy one and try it out - I figured I could get a refund if there was an obvious problem.

I have no issues.

I have a 5.1 setup. The automated sound setup process was painless and actually very good. I could not improve on the speaker setup manually (and I tried).

I am using all 3 HDMI inputs to handle a DVD player, a Sony PS3, and a DishTV HD DVR. I am using two component video inputs to handle an old VCR and the Nintendo Wii.

I have only a single HDMI cable running from my 705 to a Westinghouse 52" LCD TV/Monitor. (TX-52F480S) All signals are either passed through or fomat converted and sent over HDMI to the TV.

I have no lipsynch issues with any input nor any material (DVD, Bluray through the PS3, games on the PS3 and Wii, VCR, my Tivo which proceeded my DishTV DVR, and my DishTV DVR. The only timing issue was with Rock Band on the PS3 but it had a setting to change the video/sound timing depending on your setup. Using this, I was able to get very tight audio/video synchronization. Perhaps people reporting synch issues have delays applied under surround processing modes or have components that are somehow introducing delays. (of course, maybe there is some subset of 705s that have this problem but, if you do like I did, you can always send it back to the vendor if the problem crops up)

Overall I am very happy with the amp, it's input/ouput options, it's flexibility, it's sound quality...

RegeG

Auditioning
Real Name
Rege
I have owned a 705 since May. I have encountered no problems with the receiver. I am using it as a Pre/Pro, and it is amplified by a ROTEL amplifier. I think it is a great unit. A lot of bang for the dollar.

I did consider the 805. I figured the 705 was a better value for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks