What's new

Youtube on Apple TV through Onkyo Receiver: Screen goes black, audio drops out when ads play (1 Viewer)

jsendicott

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel
I have an Apple TV 4K with HDMI going to Onkyo receiver and then passed through to LG C1 TV. Recently when watching anything on the Youtube app (on Apple TV) whenever an ad comes on in the middle of a video the TV loses signal and the receiver loses audio (you can hear the relays click off and on) for about 3 seconds. I realize there must be a format change happening in the output of the Apple TV for the ads, but wow It's incredibly annoying.

Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but another problem I'm having is that my PC, using an Nvidia 1080 card, will frequently drop-out both audio and video when using HDMI out of 1080 card into Onkyo and passed through to LG C1. Weird thing with this one is that one day it's rock solid and the next it will drop out about every 10 seconds or so.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you know if the Apple TV 4K is a Gen 1 or the current Gen 2?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is the 4K first gen
I've recently come across some problems with the 4K Gen 1 that the Gen 2 and earlier HD versions don't have. I'll have to try YouTube to see if I have problems with it. I have both Gen 1 and Gen 2 units, so I can compare them.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It sounds like the Onkyo's video processing is disabled so, instead of converting various input resolutions to it's native format it is switching to the actual input format, thus causing the interruption. Are you noticing any weirdness with the Onkyo's OSD overlay?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It sounds like the Onkyo's video processing is disabled so, instead of converting various input resolutions to it's native format it is switching to the actual input format, thus causing the interruption. Are you noticing any weirdness with the Onkyo's OSD overlay?
John brings up a good point. Do you have the ATV set to output everything at 4K, or to keep the native resolution? I suggest setting to output at 4K SDR. There's actually a THREAD HERE on the rather cryptic output settings of the ATV 4K and how counterintuitive the options are.

jsendicott

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel
John brings up a good point. Do you have the ATV set to output everything at 4K, or to keep the native resolution? I suggest setting to output at 4K SDR. There's actually a THREAD HERE on the rather cryptic output settings of the ATV 4K and how counterintuitive the options are.
Thank you for this info! It's probably set to output everything at 4K. I will try different output settings tonight and see what happens.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thank you for this info! It's probably set to output everything at 4K. I will try different output settings tonight and see what happens.
You want it to output at 4K SDR so it doesn't ever switch resolution. Also, make certain video processing in the receiver is turned off.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You want it to output at 4K SDR so it doesn't ever switch resolution. Also, make certain video processing in the receiver is turned off.
I think video processing needs to be on for the OSD to work.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Try going into the settings on the AppleTV and turn off "Match Content" under Video and Audio and see if that fixes it.

Norma_S

Auditioning
Real Name
Norma Schutt
I have an Apple TV 4K with HDMI going to Onkyo receiver and then passed through to LG C1 TV. Recently when watching anything on the Youtube app (on Apple TV) whenever an ad comes on in the middle of a video the TV loses signal and the receiver loses audio (you can hear the relays click off and on) for about 3 seconds. I realize there must be a format change happening in the output of the Apple TV for the ads, but wow It's incredibly annoying.

Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but another problem I'm having is that my PC, using an Nvidia 1080 card, will frequently drop-out both audio and video when using HDMI out of 1080 card into Onkyo and passed through to LG C1. Weird thing with this one is that one day it's rock solid and the next it will drop out about every 10 seconds or so.
I had the same problem with several apps running on my Apple TV and fixed it. I fiddled around with the Apple TV’s settings and Googling it, I started changing one setting at a time. After I changed its video settings for Match Content to OFF it’s been fine ever since.

Fil

Auditioning
Real Name
Fil Mackay
I had the same problem with several apps running on my Apple TV and fixed it. I fiddled around with the Apple TV’s settings and Googling it, I started changing one setting at a time. After I changed its video settings for Match Content to OFF it’s been fine ever since.
What generation of Apple TV 4K was this problem (and resolution) with? I have the same issue (first generation) but I have. not been able to find a setting to fix it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks