What's new

Question on N64 prologic games (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I finally have gotten my HT started and have my mains and surrounds hooked up. My 64 had been collecting dust for a while but I still had it connected to my reciever, so I booted it up to see if whay my games sounded like on it. I booted up Zelda:tOoT and was surprised that such a high profile title wasn't prologic, or at least didn't seem to have any sound coming from my surrounds (my reciever was set to prologic) (heh just riding around Zelda for a couple minutes and flipping through the menus reminded me of how absolutely massive, awesome and fun this game was, I may try to play through it again and rebeat it, this time without a guide :frowning:, I know I was a weakmined fifteen year old though :P)
So anyway I was wondering what are some games that had really good prologic sound for the 64 Rouge Squadron, I know has the best sound of any 64 game (though I don't know about battle for Naboo and the ill fated Indiana Jones game), I know i remember it being the only game really getting raves for it's sound at IGN (been a reader of the site since 1997, and am an insider now :P).
I have the following games, do any of them have Prologic? (or am I mistaken and is prologic not even available on the 64?)
Excitebike
Donkey Kong
Zelda Majora's Mask
Zelda Ocarina of Time
The New Tetris
WCW vNWO World Tour (I remember being excited about the graphics and incredible fighting engine on this game, LOL)
Ken Griffy Junior's Major League Baseball
F-Zero X
Adam

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
I think Majora's Mask is the only game on your list that supports Dolby Surround Sound. Most of the later Rare titles also support Dolby Surround:
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
Banjo-Tooie
Jet Force Gemini
:)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I would add Donkey Kong 64 from your list to that Rare list that Steven pointed out... it has really great sound, especially in the cavernous sections. It's been a while, but the best part is in Jungle Japes, where Chunky Kong goes down in the hole marked with the giant X... the flaming jets give good separation.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Dumb question - what do you need cable wise to get prologic out of the N64?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I hooked up my N64 to my Lexicon DC-1 and Zelda: OOT was FILLED with surround sound. Bats and ghouls would pan from front to back all the time. Check your connections and/or settings in the game.

Mike

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Doh I completely forgot that I have to turn on the surround in the menu. :P stupid me!
Adam
ps how's the sound in Conker, Perfect Dark, and Battle for Naboo? three games I plan on picking up soon, for fariliy cheap :P

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'd stick with Rogue Squadron instead of Battle for Naboo. Even though they're based on the same engine, I found RS to be a much better game overall.

Mike

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly Jurassic Park for the SNES was in DPL. Maybe the first ever? Here's a link I found after a 2-sec search, I'm sure there's probably more info about it somewhere.
Edit: Did some more searching, click this link to read what games are in DPL in Spanish. It's not even close to complete, but interesting to see the games on differing systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks