What's new
World Wide Stereo

Question On Mounting a Flat Panel Monitor (1 Viewer)

John Gido

Second Unit
Just looking for some opinion/feedback on mounting a SMALL 20" flat panel monitor (weight approx 14lbs.) in our bedroom. I purchased a mounting bracket for mounting to a single stud (bracket weight is < 4lbs). The only problem is that the wall space available for mounting does not contain a stud in the correct location (center of the wall). It is a small section of wall space between a doorway and a closet approx. 24" across and, unfortunately, the only available space.

Would it be possible to use 2 "molly" screws (NOT plastic anchors) through the bracket & drywall. Total weight would be < 20lbs.

Thanks in advance.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
How thick is your drywall and what kind of shape is it in? And how many and how far apart are the holes on the mount? Drywall can hold 20lbs if the wall is reasonably thick and in good shape. But if the holes in the mount are all in a few inches it would make me nervous. If you go that way I'd use toggles instead of molly though. When I use mollys they don't aways set correctly and then you have less of a grip than you expected.

Also, there used to be these expandable bars that "attach" to the studs. I've used them to insert lights in the ceiling. Of course, you'll wind up with a hole to deal with; but if you're going to run the cable(s) up the inside of the wall - now you're set.

Another option would be to go in through your closet, add a cross piece for the mount, then patch the closet.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't hang a TV on drywall - it may last awhile but the possibility of failure is great and then your TV is on the floor in pieces. I would place a supporting panel of 3/4" plywood spanning and tied securely into the studs on either side behind the TV (painted or finished to match your decor) and then secure your mount to that wooden panel.

John Gido

Second Unit
Thanks for all of the feedback.

I believe that toggle bolts will work in this application based on information contained in this article. I've held pictures on my wall using drywall anchors that are nearly as heavy as this screen without any issues. The added strength of toggles can only help.

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Man, I hope you are right. I usually "over-do" hanging jobs but 2 weeks ago I hung a heavy mirror with the recommended toggle bolts. 3 nights ago the whole thing came crashing down tearing up the wall, the mirror and then it caught the electrical outlet just right and sheared it off, pulled it out of the wall and exposed the wires. I re-did the right way and would never consider hanging a TV from drywall.

V JACKSON

Agent
Toggle/Molly bolts will work fine...I've used them to mount 40" plasmas with no problems, and those weigh a lot more than 20lbs........................................Just make sure they pop open behind the wall and that you screw them tightly to the bracket............................

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks