What's new

Question about soundproofing Basement Walls (1 Viewer)

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator
Hello

I am starting to build my HT in the basement, a poured concrete basement. I have a space that's 14 by 23, so it'll be a good size. Three of the walls are concrete, with a typical wood stud frame work placed up against (but about an inch away from the concrete), and the forth is my new wall, made of 2x4 wood studs, which divides my HT from the next room. The wood on the concrete walls is 2x3 studs, which are nailed into a 2x3 on the floor, and a 2x3 "stud header" at the top. Fairly typical wall construction, based on what I've seen. I assume that adding the wood frame against the concrete was simply a way of adding insulation, vapour barrier and finally, a finish of wood panelling (soon to be drywall).

I had intended to NOT add resilient channels on the 3 walls that are concrete, but to use the channels on the new stud wall and ceiling. It's a bungalow with the bedrooms right above the basement. I am starting to be concerned about sound and vibration travelling into the frame against the concrete walls and up into the joists above, which form the floor for the bedrooms. The 2x3 header plate is nailed into the floor joists. Kind of direct sound path, huh?

Is there a need to use the resilient channels on all walls? It seems like a lot of effort, considering the only direct contact point is where the stud header is nailed into the joists. Is there an option? Would it be possible to somehow isolate the framework of the walls from the joists? I'd be willing to do the work, but I'd like to use the channel only where needed. I have a feeling that it'll be a pain to use R/C on every wall, but this is based on guess work. Opinions?
I hope I've described it well enough.

Thanks again, Tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks