What's new
World Wide Stereo

puzzled with room layout for Atmos please HELP (1 Viewer)

fito1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis
MyLivingRoom8.jpg

MyLivingRoom3.jpg MyLivingRoom4.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
- Now have a few pictures of your room - but what Atmos setup are you looking at doing?
- How many ceiling speakers are you looking at setting up?
- From the picture - you have a 3.1 setting showing (LF,C,RF, Sub) - you looking at adding rears and/or multiple rear speakers as well as adding the Atmos in ceiling speakers?
- What are you trying to build here - full blown home theater, or just some enhanced sound. For a more home theater setup, you need to do something about light control, speaker setup/placement and maybe throwing down some rungs/carpet to help with sound reflections.

Please check out the Dolby atmos setup guide as well.

For a 5.1.2 setup
For a 7.1.2 setup

Last edited:

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/index.html

In order for members to help you better, you need to be more specific in your request.

- What configuration of Atmos are you going to use?
- Do you already have your receiver/amp equipment? If so, please provide model numbers.
If the Denon 710 is your AVR, then you are relegated to a 5.1.2 setup - but are you going to use Atmos-enbled front speakers, Top Fronts, or Top Middles (your AVR manual has connection/setup diagrams for each of these options).
- Are you asking whether or not your room is conducive to an Atmos setup?
- Are you asking where your Atmos speakers should be?
- Are you asking whether or not you should rearrange your furniture for a better Atmos experience?

fito1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/index.html

First of all thanks for helping.

In order for members to help you better, you need to be more specific in your request.

- What configuration of Atmos are you going to use?
I just can use ceiling speakers and ear level front left, right and center speakers plus sub
- Do you already have your receiver/amp equipment? If so, please provide model numbers.Denon 710
If the Denon 710 is your AVR, then you are relegated to a 5.1.2 setup - but are you going to use Atmos-enbled front speakers, Top Fronts, or Top Middles (your AVR manual has connection/setup diagrams for each of these options).I do not have Atmos enabled speakers
- Are you asking whether or not your room is conducive to an Atmos setup?
yes
- Are you asking where your Atmos speakers should be?
yes
- Are you asking whether or not you should rearrange your furniture for a better Atmos experience?
(No, it is not possible to rearrange furniture)

I checked the manual and I think my only option is like in this picture but my fronts are at about ear level.

tops.jpg

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
With the Denon 710 as your receiver, in the picture you posted above, you only get to choose ONE of those speaker options (either the front heights - which is not Atmos) or the top fronts (Atmos), or the top middles (Atmos). See page 36 of your manual - there's a table that outlines each way to use the 7 total channels of amplification the 710 offers.

Unfortunately, you can't go 3 front channels and then 4 Atmos channels. The 710 is not capable of processing 4 Atmos channels, so you are limited to 2 Atmos channels max.

I think in terms of geometry, your room should work fine if you add a pair of ceiling speakers for Atmos, but as Martino alluded to, the hard marble floors, cathedral ceiling, and open floor plan make for a very bright and "active" room, acoustically speaking. Sound reflections/echoes could be a problem.

If doing Atmos, I would probably follow the guidelines for Top Middle speakers, since you have such a deep room. I don't have much firsthand experience with Atmos setups, though. Maybe other members can chime in with their recommendation.

The open side to the left of the seating position makes it difficult to place any traditional surround speakers, however if you could find a way to get surrounds on either side of the listening position, you have a lot of space behind the seating which is perfect for installing surround back speakers for 7.1 on the back wall. Doing that, however, means you can't do Atmos.

fito1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis
Thank you very much Jason and Martino for your input

I think my only option is to install 4 ceiling as the picture above, 2 at sitting position and other two slightly in front of the seating position.

I just order the speakers and I'll let you know how it goes, no idea of when this is gonna be.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks