What's new

Public Domain Titles/Quality on DVD (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The first "precode collection" done by The Roan Group has a superior transfer of the movie Of Human Bondage. WB has a superior transfer of Life With Father, but coincidentally is unable to release the film on home video due to legal reasons. However, they are able to televise it and it does show up on TCM occasionally. The other three, I haven't the foggiest idea where to find a good copy, if possible. WB has stated that it does not own any materials of the film Of Human Bondage, so WB will probably never seek it out unless it somehow regains it copyright or WB finds a previously unknown print by sheer chance among its vaults. I'm not sure about the others Another high profile PD film is Love Affair (1939), which I don't think has ever had a decent home video release. Fox presumably has the negative and original film materials when it bought the rights to remake the film, but I've yet to find any proof if they still even have it or lost it long ago. This might be the same case with The Front Page, which one would assume is now in Columbia's hands due to the Howard Hawks remake.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Joe ... Many thanks for the info! As it happens, I have that Roan pre-code collection, but had forgotten that OHB was included. The LIFE WITH FATHER problem is very frustrating ... this was a big hit, in its day, with four Oscar nominations, including William Powell for Best Actor. I'm guessing that no one really knows who has the rights to THE FRONT PAGE anymore. HIS GIRL FRIDAY was Columbia, as you point out, but the Billy Wilder version in ' 74 was Universal, and SWITCHING CHANNELS was Sony Pictures. And the two foreign films are driving me crazy! I never saw TWO WOMEN, back when it won Loren her Oscar, but the versions now available are all but unwatchable. And the same goes for OLYMPIA. Strange that TRIUMPH OF THE WILL is available, but OLYMPIA, which has influenced the filming of every Olympics since, is equally MIA. I also agree with you about LOVE AFFAIR!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
PODER said:
I think it might be time to revisit this particular forum, since there are still a number of important films that seem to be lost in Public Domain Hell . . . . . . My questions: 2) What other films belong on this list? Thanks in advance for any comments, additions or other contributions.
It is rumoured that Universal's The Hell With Heroes is PD. I don't know for sure if that is correct and it would be astonishing if Universal had forgotten to establish copyright, but certainly this film has disappeared. Considering that it stars Rod Taylor and Claudia Cardinale and is a pretty good movie, there must be some reason that it's missing in action.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I agree with you, Denny. I'm also adding a few other titles that deserve rescuing: ALGIERS BEAT THE DEVIL BULLDOG DRUMMOND (1929) PENNY SERENADE THE SCOUNDREL SMASH-UP: THE STORY OF A WOMAN Again, any input on decent DVD copies of the above would be much appreciated.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Penny Serenade is supposedly coming through a future Olive Films release on both blu-ray and DVD, possibly this year

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Thanks, Joe. You do seem to be the go-to guy with all my questions!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
The excellent film noir, FEAR IN THE NIGHT (1947, starring DeForest Kelley), a staple of P.D. collections, deserves restoration and a proper release, though maybe The Film Noir Foundation has it high on their 'to do' list.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
There's also Juggernaut (1937), a classic Boris Karloff film made in Britain that only seems to be available in the heavily censored U.S. cut. About 1/3 of the movie was cut out compared to the British release.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Amazing Mr. X, available through VCI among others, is one of the best PD noir films I've ever seen. I think this is a title worthy of a Criterion treatment.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A much improved version of MR. X, under the title THE SPIRITUALIST, is available on DVD-R via the Sony Pictures Choice Collection. You can find it on the Warner Archive site.

Kino has released a good-as-it-gets transfer of OF HUMAN BONDAGE on DVD/Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks