What's new

Is Alice's Adventures In Wonderland (1972) a public domain movie? (1 Viewer)

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but as I have not found a previous thread, I will wade out to the deep end of the pool and plant this thread. I have been baffled that this movie has languished in such awful home video renditions. I'm guessing it may have to do with ownership or copyright? Yes, it's not a masterpiece, but it has a great cast of a veritable Who's Who of British actors: Michael Crawford, The Goons (Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, Roy Kinnear), Sir Ralph Richardson, Flora Robson (The Red Queen), just to name a few. Many great talents behind the camera such as Stuart Freeborn and Geoffrey Unsworth, and a wonderful score by John Barry, in-between Bond films. The 1972 version has always been one of my favorites, having watched it every holiday season airing on the then-independent channel WNEW in New York. Does anyone know if what's currently available on DVD is the best we'll ever see of it? I enjoy having John Barry's score on the Intrada CD, but wish there were an "equivalent" high quality version of the movie available for home viewing. Even if it's not a bona fide classic, I like it.

Also, for many years, on WNEW, another cult movie, Tales From The Crypt (1972) would be shown on weekends from a badly damaged print. Despite this, it became another favorite of mine, but I never expected to see the movie look any better, like the '72 Alice. I was very happy when the Crypt Blu-ray came along, clearing up a lot of what looked murky on TV. I know this isn't a direct comparison, but I have held out hope that something similar could happen for the '72 Alice, given the amazing talents that were associated with the movie. Maybe it's one of those instances where the whole is less than its parts, but I don't think it deserves to be relegated to the cut-out bin of justifiably forgotten movies.
alices-adventures-in-wonderland-and-on-the-screen.jpg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thank you. The last time I bought this movie on DVD it looked like it was merely copied from a VHS with all of the tape defects intact. For a long time I thought this was a video-on-film show, and not an actual filmed movie.
here are some reviews of this edition - Fans of this version should be delighted with the Widescreen presentation here, which is a BIG improvement over the faded prints in other DVD editions. The film seems like something of a revelation, as you can finally see more of the sets, colors, costumes and fantasy atmosphere.

There are some non-US versions out there that do present the movie in widescreen, and a couple are reportedly anamorphic. But now, rejoice! There is an anamorphic widescreen version for the US in this DVD on demand release from Amazon and DigiCom. (I mean, yes, I would have preferred that it be released to Blu-Ray,but you just gotta take what's available.)

The picture seems to be neatly sourced from a clean transfer of the film. The picture is encoded on the disc at 720X480p, but will be presented in full widescreen by your player "stretching" the picture to 854X480p. Chapter marks are every five minutes, there are no subtitles included.

This is, without a doubt, THE edition for any US fan of the movie to get. Until someone (PLEASE?) makes a Blu-Ray.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I remember this film being prominently advertised in cinemas in London when I was there during Christmastime in 1972, along with Lady Caroline Lamb, neither of which got much, if hardly any, release stateside. Both films, with their casts and pedigrees, certainly deserve a proper Blu-ray release from someone.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Second part -- is it Public Domain? No. As best as I can tell it won;t be eligible for PD until 2065 or so -- at least US law.

Outside the US, it might follow different rules.

Even if it's not due to fall into the Public Domain until 2065, it could still end up there if the owners haven't renewed the copyright properly.

Looking at IMDb's "Company Credits" page for this title, I see:

Which looks like it might be P.D., though it's missing the "definitely P.D." labels like Alpha, Madacy, Delta/Laserlight, et alia. So maybe not.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
This is also pretty good.Great cast ,singing and costumes.

I bought this on dvd a few years ago.I think its better than the 1964 bw version.I love these vintage tv productions of fairytales and musicals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks