projector choice HELP!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by eraserpbt, Oct 11, 2010.

1. eraserpbt

eraserpbt Auditioning

hI, I'm new to all this and I need some help. I'm looking to set up a movie screen outside. It will probably get used very little. I definately want to go as cheap as possible. I see projectors priced from 150.00 all the way up to taking a second on your mortgage. I'm going to end up with the projector approx 14 feet from the screen. What do I look for in purchasing a projector. It will be used very little. So I'm lost as far as throw, brightness, bells and whistles. etc. Help!

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Look at something ike the Optoma HD-60, it's only a 720P projectore but it's around $600, if you feel the need, hop up to the hd-66, it's 1080P for about a $1000, but you aren't watching it in a critical fashion the hd-60 would save you $400.

Brent

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I think Brent meant the HD65, around $600. And the HD66 is not 1080p, it's a 720p projector. I think the HD66 is about $700.

What is your budget for projector? Do you have a receiver and speakers for sound?

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Sorry, I should never go by memory:)

Sorry, HD20 is more like it!

Brent

5. ProjectorPPL1

Hi eraserpbt!

We recently put together a Home Theater Projector Cheat Sheet to help customers find the perfect home theater projector. We go in to the four specs beginners should pay attention to: brightness, contrast ratio, display type and resolution. We also tell you how to get the best price on your purchase. You can check it out here: http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/hometheatercheatsheet.asp

As for recommendations, Epson has just released several high quality home theater projectors at a range of prices, from $649 and up. On the lower-priced end, the Epson MovieMate 62 includes a built-in DVD player and speakers, so you won't have to worry about lugging extra equipment outside.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
    Helen Anne