What's new

Project Greenlight 2 (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's not too bad. Not fantastic either. I think they were hoping about $13-$20k a screen; which would have been $65,000 for the weekend to $100k. But, the big test will probably be this weekend on 10 screens.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I think that $20,000 per screen is unreasonable. Like they said on the show, it would mean that every seat was filled for every showing, and that each person left $100.00 in their seat when they left.

It has made the following:

Fri - $18k
Sat - $15k
Sun - $8k
Mon - $10k
Tue - $7k
Wed - $6k
Thr - $5k

for $73k since release, and an average of $8513.00 per screen. Not too bad.

I'm anxious to see what it does this weekend.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Is this dead theatrically now? The PG website has not been updated to reflect any more showings and when I checked this out on www.boxofficemojo.com yesterday, there had been a huge dropoff this past weekend from the prior week (still playing in the same 13 theaters so not really a big surprise there).

If it is dead, that's too bad. I would have gone to see this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from the-movie-times.com

Date Released 8.22.03
Opening Weekend Gross $0.048
Total Gross $0.187
Peak # of Screens 12
Weeks in Top 60 2
Rank This Week 44
Studio Miramax

link

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
If you look at the average per screen, it's actually doing very well.

It ranked 8th Saturday, 6th Sunday and 3rd Monday, as far as average income per screen. Not too shabby. Of course, other films have more screens, so they are doing more business, but it is still drawing people to each showing.

All films drop a huge percentage in gross sales from Sunday to Monday. If you look at all of them, Shaker Heights has held pretty firm with the pack.

And the fact that Miramax hasn't pulled it from theaters hopefully shows that they are enjoying the results.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

I believe the figures you quoted were from the prior weekend. According to the mojo website for the 9/5-9/7 weekend, Shaker Heights dropped from #44 to #61 with a total weekend take of $31,816 (-71% from prior weekend).

That's the drop I was referring to. The average per screen of $2,400 by itself is comparable to other pictures. However I doubt Miramax is going to keep this thing going if it's only going to pull $30k per weekend. The fact additional theaters haven't been announced isn't a good sign. If they decide to expand it, they shouldn't wait too long or else this will get lost amongst the late year holiday releases.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think they'll bury it. Project Greenlight box sets return their money, and that's about where their concern level is. It's basically a pet to keep Ben Affleck onboard and doing their projects.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't think PG3 is in jeopardy because of this. They gotta be making money off of this in the end, with the video release, the small budget and the HBO show.

However, I wonder how much interest there will be among talented, non-industry writers and directors now that the first two PG movies have basically tanked. They might not want to be humiliated on the show just to have to go back to delivering pizza afterwards. :)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
However, I wonder how much interest there will be among talented, non-industry writers and directors now that the first two PG movies have basically tanked. They might not want to be humiliated on the show just to have to go back to delivering pizza afterwards.
You're kidding, right? They're going to have to beat them off with a stick faster than they did for PG2. The Project Greenlight contestants are getting work. Even though the movies tanked, they're the best calling card a Hollywood hopeful could ask for.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
The problem with Project Greenlight is getting inexperienced people to direct. It should just be a screenplay contest, with the movie to be directed by a noteworthy director. Pete Jones was a writer, not a director. Kyle and Efram were the wrong choice as directors for Shaker Heights. After seeing the scene they submitted as their "director entry" before they were chosen, I thought it was the worst of all of them.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Well, according to a thread in the "Software" section, this movie has been announced for a December DVD release.

I won't be looking for this at my local multi-plex anytime soon.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree. Even get some up & coming director to handle a script. Get one person in the mix.. the director or the scriptwriter, with at least 1 real credit to them..

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
NEW NEWS

Battle of Shaker Heights is going into wider release, according to the website.

9/26
Cincinnati - Mariemont
Martha's Vineyard - Carawock
Maynard, MA - Fine Arts 3
10/3
Houston - River Oaks
Denver - Chez Artiste
Pittsburgh - Denis Theatre
St. Louis, MO - Plaza Frontenac
Waterville, ME - Railroad Square
10/10
Atlanta, - Landmark Midtown Art
Minneapolis - Landmark Edina
San Diego - Landmark Hillcrest
Raleigh, NC - Colony Theatre
Durham, NC - Carolina Theatre
Cary, NC - Madstone Theatre
Albuquerque - Madstone San Mateo
10/24
Hartford, CT - Cinema City
New Haven - York Square

Still not in Kansas City, but we can hope!

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
My city isn't on the above list, but this past Saturday (10/18) my local theater ran a trailer for "Shaker Heights" for the first time and they're displaying the poster in their lobby as an "upcoming attaction".

The manager indicated that his information indicated that this film was going into wider release in November (kind of odd since the DVD comes in December). He wasn't sure if the theater would actually be able to get it though.

Seeing the trailer was kind of jarring because I had not only assumed that the theatrical run was over, but I also had forgotten about the movie to be honest!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
The current Fade In magazine (with Billy Bob Thornton on the cover) has a five-page article on Project Greenlight. It has some comments from Efram, Erica, Balis and Chris Moore. The article talks about how the drama was fabricated on both seasons and discusses whether this is counter to the stated purpose of the show. Short but interesting read.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks