What's new

Paramount+ 1923 (Yellowstone prequel) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

PARAMOUNT+ ANNOUNCES ACADEMY AWARD® WINNER HELEN MIRREN AND
ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE HARRISON FORD WILL STAR IN “1932” (WT), TAYLOR
SHERIDAN’S NEXT INSTALLMENT OF THE “YELLOWSTONE” ORIGIN STORY

From Academy Award Nominee Taylor Sheridan, The New Series Follows the
Record-Breaking Global Performance of “1883” on Paramount+

Produced by MTV Entertainment Studios, 101 Studios and Bosque Ranch Productions, The Series Will Launch in December

PHOTOS HERE
May 17, 2022 – Paramount+ announced today that Academy Award winner Helen Mirren and Academy Award nominee Harrison Ford will star in the highly anticipated next installment of the YELLOWSTONE origin story, previously announced as 1932 (working title). From Academy Award nominee Taylor Sheridan, the new series follows the record-breaking performance of 1883, the most-watched title ever on Paramount+ globally. Produced by MTV Entertainment Studios, 101 Studios and Bosque Ranch Productions, the series will debut on the service in December.

The next YELLOWSTONE origin story will introduce a new generation of the Dutton family and explore the early twentieth century when pandemics, historic drought, the end of Prohibition, and the Great Depression all plague the mountain west, and the Duttons who call it home.

In addition to 1883 being a breakout hit for Paramount+, Sheridan also received a Writers Guild of America Awards nomination for his work on the pilot episode. On Paramount Network, YELLOWSTONE had a record-breaking season four run attracting an average of 11 million total viewers, and recently garnered its first-ever Screen Actors Guild Awards® and Producers Guild Awards® nominations.

The new series is the latest addition to Sheridan’s growing slate on Paramount Network and Paramount+, which in addition to 1883 includes MAYOR OF KINGSTOWN and the upcoming series LIONESS, TULSA KING, 1883: THE BASS REEVES STORY and LAND MAN.

1932 (working title) is executive produced by Taylor Sheridan, John Linson, Art Linson, David C. Glasser, Ron Burkle, Bob Yari and Ben Richardson.

About Paramount+
Paramount+, a direct-to-consumer digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service, combines live sports, breaking news, and a mountain of entertainment. The premium streaming service features an expansive library of original series, hit shows and popular movies across every genre from world-renowned brands and production studios, including BET, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures, and the Smithsonian Channel. The service is also the streaming home to unmatched sports programming, including every CBS Sports event, from golf to football to basketball and more, plus exclusive streaming rights for major sports properties, including some of the world’s biggest and most popular soccer leagues. Paramount+ also enables subscribers to stream local CBS stations live across the U.S. in addition to the ability to stream CBSN for 24/7 news, CBS Sports HQ for sports news and analysis, and ET Live for entertainment coverage.
For more information about Paramount+, please visit www.paramountplus.com and follow @ParamountPlus on social platforms.

About MTV Entertainment
MTV Entertainment Group is one of the preeminent youth media companies in the world that connects with global audiences through its nine iconic brands – MTV, Comedy Central, VH1, CMT, Pop, Logo, Smithsonian, Paramount Network and TV Land – as well as MTV Entertainment Studios which produces acclaimed series and movies and the award-winning, Oscar nominated MTV Documentary Films.

About 101 Studios
101 Studios is a global entertainment company dedicated to the acquisition, financing, development, production and distribution of high-caliber, creator-driven storytelling. 101 empowers content creators through first-class collaboration and innovation. On the television side, 101 produces Taylor Sheridan’s Emmy nominated series “Yellowstone,” “Mayor of Kingstown,” “1883” and the upcoming “George & Tammy,” “Tulsa King,” “Lioness” and “Bass Reeves.” 101 Studios oversees and manages the newly formed Sports Illustrated Studios, a content platform based on the most compelling stories, characters and moments in sports past, present and future. Upcoming projects include “Paradise Found” based on the true story of high school football coach Rick Prinz; a docuseries about the sexual abuse and cover-up at Ohio State University, co-produced by George Clooney and Grant Heslov’s Smokehouse Pictures; and the docuseries “Covers,” a behind-the-scenes look at Sports Illustrated’s top cover stories of all time. SI Studios has also exclusively partnered with iHeartMedia to create and distribute original podcasts through the iHeartPodcast network. On the film side, past releases include “The Current War: Director’s Cut,” the Sundance Audience award winner “Burden” as well as the family comedy “The War with Grandpa.”

Paramount+ Press Contacts:
Morgan Seal – [email protected]
Kate Mann – [email protected]
Natalie Speck – [email protected]

MTV Entertainment Studios Contacts:
Chris Delhomme – [email protected]
Joyia Sandoval – [email protected]

101 Studios Contact:
Heather Phillips – [email protected]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I only saw the first season of Yellowstone, and I did not see the other prequel show. Does anyone have any insight as to whether I can watch/enjoy this series as a standalone endeavor?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I only saw the first season of Yellowstone, and I did not see the other prequel show. Does anyone have any insight as to whether I can watch/enjoy this series as a standalone endeavor?
Same here as I didn’t like any of the characters so I didn’t care what happened to them.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I've never seen Yellowstone but absolutely loved 1883 and so I'll be giving 1923 a go.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So you could watch 1883 as a standalone? I was interested in that one as well.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
1883 was my first exposure to the Yellowstone world. I watched 1883 as I enjoy westerns and this looked to be of the same type of quality story as Lonesome Dove.

It was an excellent story and no knowledge of the current series was needed for me to enjoy. I sought out the current series and quit after 3 episodes as it didn't appeal to me.

I am looking forward to 1923.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Same for me, 1883 was my first "Yellowstone" experience. It is not only a great western but, some of the best TV I have seen in years.

I have been binging Yellowstone for a couple weeks now. I'm near the end of season 3. It's okay, not great. I love Costner's performance though. I'm not sure what I was expecting but a mob show was not on my radar. The body count has to be higher than The Sopranos and I'm only in season 3.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I keep meaning to return to Yellowstone because I am generally a big fan of Taylor Sheridan’s writing and I thought it was great seeing Kevin Costner in that kind of role, but I think what you just said is why it hasn’t really clicked for me - I was expecting a show that would show me a way of life I wasn’t familiar with, not one that was kinda, “gangsters, but with cattle.” What I saw of Yellowstone I thought was well-written, well-acted and well-directed. It just wasn’t quite what I was looking for at the time I watched it. I still may go back one day.

The more historical-fiction bent of 1883 and 1923 seem, based on their promos, to be more of what I’m looking for.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
So you could watch 1883 as a standalone? I was interested in that one as well.

Although it was already answered, but yes, most definitely. I'm not much of a "western" watcher but this was very good. Heck, it was good enough to even attract my wife, who also enjoyed it immensely.

We watched the first ep of 1923, unfortunately my wife quit halfway thru but I stuck it out. I think the first half was a little slow but the second half was much better.

One nit pick with the Paramount+ app; I have the Paramount+ subscription through Amazon Prime and couldn't find the first full episode on it, only the trailer. While doing some Google searching I found you can link your AP Paramount subscription with the Paramount+ app. I installed the app on my new Samsung TV but I could never get the first ep to stream, it would just give a generic error. Anything on the Samsung TV and Paramount app would not stream yet all my other apps work fine. Sooooo, I installed the Paramount+ app on our FireTV stick and that worked perfectly. Apparently not all Samsung TV's work with the Paramount+ app. Grrrrr.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I watched the first episode of 1923 and liked it. An epic Western so far with good performances and impressive period detail. Infused with some violence and tragedy.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
1883 was my first exposure to the Yellowstone world. I watched 1883 as I enjoy westerns and this looked to be of the same type of quality story as Lonesome Dove.

It was an excellent story and no knowledge of the current series was needed for me to enjoy. I sought out the current series and quit after 3 episodes as it didn't appeal to me.

I am looking forward to 1923.

I could've written the above post myself.

I've watched the first two episodes. I'm not giving up yet, but there are aspects to some of the characters (particularly Harrison Ford's) that are more akin to the Yellowstone Duttons than the 1883 Duttons. I also find it difficult to sit through the scenes with Teona in the Catholic boarding school.

That said, Ford and Mirren are doing terrific work in this. And I'm curious about how Shepard's experiences in Africa will connect with the main plot. I suspect, though, that it's more of a parallel story regarding the treatment by "colonizers" of the indigenous people.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
One nit pick with the Paramount+ app; I have the Paramount+ subscription through Amazon Prime and couldn't find the first full episode on it, only the trailer.

I also watch P+ via Prime. When I tried to watch ep1 on its premiere date (the 18th), it wasn't showing up as available. By 3:00am on the 19th, though, it was.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I keep meaning to return to Yellowstone because I am generally a big fan of Taylor Sheridan’s writing and I thought it was great seeing Kevin Costner in that kind of role, but I think what you just said is why it hasn’t really clicked for me - I was expecting a show that would show me a way of life I wasn’t familiar with, not one that was kinda, “gangsters, but with cattle.” What I saw of Yellowstone I thought was well-written, well-acted and well-directed. It just wasn’t quite what I was looking for at the time I watched it. I still may go back one day.

The more historical-fiction bent of 1883 and 1923 seem, based on their promos, to be more of what I’m looking for.

I just found pretty much all of the characters in Yellowstone to be loathsome. So many people refer to them as "the kind of characters you love to hate". But I just hate them.

I kinda liked the youngest son (the one married to an Indian), and I felt kinda sorry for the poor kid who was dragooned into becoming a ranch-hand for the Duttons. But that's about it.

I completely understand what Sheridan is trying to do here. It's all done with deliberate purpose. And there's a kinship with his previous work, especially Wind River and Hell or High Water. So I have to just chalk up Yellowstone as something that I have more admiration for than affection. Maybe some day I'll try re-visiting it, but for now, there are too many other things I want to watch to spend time on something that just angers and upsets me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've never watched "Yellowstone". I enjoyed the first episode of 1923 quite a bit. Harrison Ford is great, as is the rest of the cast. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of this series. Hopefully this week.

I completely forgot that Ford, and Mirren starred together in "The Mosquito Coast". Love that movie.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks