What's new

Project Greenlight 2 (1 Viewer)

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Didn't see a thread about this, it just started tonight on HBO. I don't know about the script the chose, but I disagree on the director(s) they chose. The other directors clips looked better in my opinon. But then again, it will probably be more entertaining television with 2 directors. I will be watching the train wreck in the upcoming weeks with great interest.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I loved Ben Affleck's line: "It actually seems like we have a real movie this year."

:laugh:

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I thought the same about the directors, but we only saw small clips. Plus I think they were judging the directors on their talent, and that one director looked like he obviously had more money to be able to put together that piece. Maybe they thought those directors could have done the same with the same money and equipment.

I didn't see it last year, what happens in future episodes.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I didn't see it last year, what happens in future episodes.
Basically we get to watch the movie being made throughout all the stages.

I like the idea of having a separate writer and director for the project. It is more realistic if these people will eventually work in Hollywood. Let's face it it is rare when a director gets to direct what he wrote, most times they are hired to direct other people's scripts.

Also the fisco from last year where the winner was so attached to his script where he was not willing to compromise most of the time, I am sure woke everyone up.

But I agree with the above statement as the 2 guys that won to direct, might not be too great. I think their reels were the most amateurish of all of them, however the two, as people, were the most "real". The rest of the bunch were the typical artsy bunch. "My whole life is art" type ... please :rolleyes. I would have dismissed them too.

Should be an interesting season. Looks like they are jumping into the production quick this year. If I remember correctly last season, it was at least 2 episodes until they even chose a winner.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Just saw all their "movies" in theri entirety at the site. Frankly, I would have Dagen Merrill or Joe Otting win it. Their work was far more original than the actual winners.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think it said a lot when the female director who wanted to direct Shaker Heights or nothing at all said after her interview that she spent all her time talking about herself and forgot to explain her vision for the film. But for the pair of directors who won, it seemed from their interview that they were more down to earth and able to talk about how they would make the film.

The other directors were talented and innovative for sure but perhaps a little too much on the auteur side, while what Affleck and Damon and Miramax and Blockbuster were looking for was more on the commercial side. That's why they picked what they picked.

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldv'e picked the guy who did the psycho ward film. Looked like Fincher did it.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I think they were misguided to go with a two headed monster directing approach. Also I did not get a good sense of what the scripts were about.

Looks lIke we will be seeing more of Matt Damon this year.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I have a sick feeling that in part they choose who they do based not only on their talent, but on their ability to create conflict that will keep the ratings good for the show and make for "Project Greenlight 2" being watchable and a good seller on DVD..

You have to figure, with a budget of $1M for the movie, they make a good deal of kitty (all of them, I loved the inclusion of Blockbuster) on the sell through of the TV show, HBO broadcast rights, etc.. rentals *laugh* even if the movie is an utter flop - and perhaps, they are better off if it is - it works out for them.

This isn't saying it's rigged up, but I agree... I thought the director's choice was non-sensical, and designed to lead to conflict. Then again, I wouldn't have chosen Shaker's Heights.. I think if part of the goal is to present a small script, they are better going with a more out-of-the-norm project that would attract the art house audience or just be "different" I personally liked the script "Cheeks" which I thought reminded me a lot more of Tarrintino then the seeming "wanna-be-adolescent angst" film that Heights is..

Howie A

Second Unit
Do we get to see the final movie on HBO when it's finished?
I would think so but only after it hits theaters and around the same time or just after it comes to video. Take a look at last years winner if you get a chance. It was not bad. The best part was it was meant to be a period piece from say the seventy's and in one scene they did not set up for a closed street for filming and as you drive along in the 70's ish station wagon you notice out the window some jeep Cherokees and Lexus. That was one of the mistakes they were bitched out for in last season. It made for some laughs though. The movie from last season was called Stolen Summer. The episodes them selves are worth the rental and the movie was the bonus.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Do we get to see the final movie on HBO when it's finished?
Actually, last year's winner, Stolen Summer was shown on Starz, not HBO. I was a bit surprised when they chose the pair of directors. In the discussion about the directors someone was questioning whether two directors could be effective.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It annoyed me they never showed the whole clips the directors submitted. I, like the producers got the impression they may have a commercially viable movie this time.

I thought Robert Lynn (Prisoner) was incredibly ballsy in his description of his work. Ben Affleck pretty much summed it up with his reaction.

Leo Beaudet's Order of the Dragon script simply would never work on a million dollar budget. It's too large a scale. Anything that you'd describe as an epic is not Project Greenlight material.

The director choice surprosed me as well. I figured Jessica Landaw was out right off. Like she said, she didn't even talk about her vision. Plus, her sample had some nice shots, but seemed the weakest from a narrative standpoint.

My favorite video story-telling-wise was Dagen's. His was the one that made it seem like this was a regular movie and not a bunch of weird shit strung together. Personally, I would have gone with him.

The producers were talking like it was between him and Joe. I felt Joe was the strongest technically, but didn't exactly show mainstream sensibilities. I think he would have been a good choice for Prisoner, but not so much the others.

As for why Kyle and Efram were chosen, they struck me as the most flexible. They're used to taking input and would probably be easiest to work with. Plus, they seemed to have better commercial sensibilities.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I agree with everything you said, Dan.

Actually, last year's winner, Stolen Summer was shown on Starz, not HBO.
That makes sense. Miramax is the studio that is backing Project Greenlight, and it seems that almost all Miramax movies end up on Starz. The same goes for New Line Cinema. Unfortunately I don't subscribe to Starz, and I'm not going to.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
This is my first time watching the show. For whatever reason, I could never catch it last year.

I thought they were pushing the stripper movie "Cheeks"? a little too much. I never saw anything interesting in what they presented and was shocked that they made the cut.

I'm not sure I agree with the seperate writer/director thing. I would hate to win the director job and be stuck with something like Cheeks. Maybe if they let the director help pick the material.

Doug

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Well, sure. That's the good thing about the winner being selected at Sundance. The ones who don't win can try to sell their idea to someone else before they leave.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I, for one, loved Stolen Summer. Technical gaffs aside, I thought it was a very touching and funny story, well done by a first time director.

I like the idea, though, of seperate director and writer. Makes it more realistic.

I was hoping for Dagen to win. His assignment piece blew me away.

This should be a good 2nd season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks