What's new

premier acoustic pa-150 (1 Viewer)

rayderfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
ive been in the mood for a change and i recentely sold my paradigm ps1200v4 to do a new subwoofer project. i managed a high end store where i bought all of my paradigm reference equipment and hafler amps. i never got the servo 15 that i wanted and after about 6yrs with the ps1200 was ready for something new to blend with my studio reference 100v2 with 550watts per speaker. i was going to build the gr research dual 12" servo set up but got side tracked with the discovery of premier acoustic 15" sub. It arrived today just in time for my 4 day weekend. I was very suprised at the build quality my paradigm sub wieghed in at 65 pound this sub is 10 pounds more with aprox the same size cabinet. this tells me that the box is well dampened and a hard knock on it returns a solid thud. the finish is beautiful and is actual real wood (veneer i presume but still very respectable) i paid extra for veneer from paradigm. so far we are in the break in period.i have been running test tone cycles to break it in. i did watch the begining of saving private ryan and that was very impressive so far the bass was low and fairly tight no port noise that ive heard yet wich will be my next concern being that it only has 1 port. for now im suprised and extremely happy. Happy enough i just ordered another. im genuinely thrilled about this affordable find and am thinking about trying a pair of the pa-8f fronts speakers soon. im not ready to give up the paradigm reference untill i hear the speakers but i have a feeling im going to like them. does anyone else have a set of them or this sub? my main concern with trying the fronts will be can they handle the power that i have and will the be bright and harsh like many cheaper speakers. i just cant imagine that this company would spend the time and money on real wood and not put a good speaker inside of the gorgeous cabinet. I will post more about the sub after break in and i get a chance to listen to some of my reference cds and vinyl.

rayderfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
update on pa-150 i played it hard today and it didnt dissapoint me in the least. it actually sounds better than the paradigm. i ran some test tones and it doesnt play as low as id like but its on par with the paradigm on bass extension. where it shines is its effortless ability to provide detailed bass. i was expecting boomy loose undetailed bass the clarity is there at all levels and the port noise doesnt exist. the 15 is definately a different sound than the 12 and it did take a little tuning and playing with for me to get a smooth blend. but once i got it i was grinning. dont fall into the myth that a bigger name is better as i have for many years. this blows away anything in the same price range. being in and around the retail side i know that spending twice as much will probably not get you any better of a sub maybe just a smaller footprint. not saying that an epik,hsu,svs,or gr research wouldnt be better at twice the price but i will take two of these and live happy for a while untill the bug bites again. cant wait to hear two of these should be here by the end of the week. that has been the biggest problem with the 15 it seems as if standing waves is more of a problem and that bass cancelations are more prevailent. 2 subs will help this problem. Thank paradigm for dicontinuing the ps series or i would have 2 of those. that is what started this change. I could have done the new dsp series or something from b&w.I still am in good standing with the store i managed and pay 5% over cost. but this brand spiked an interest in me and once again im satisfied that its a good product.

rayderfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
ok my final post and it seems as if im the only one interested but i figured id feedback on the 2 subs so for future reference to someone that may take an interest in the post. simply put im blown away i am not gained up at all and at high volumes i move more air than i could have ever thought. the bass is low and very unforgiving to my health on low bass notes my house shakes. This is insane and im loving it. i listen to all music from steely dan to slayer. these subs are tight punchy very detailed for the money. this brand is highly recomended and its no risk to try it if your thinking about it. most ppl will do the 12 as these are huge subs but the foot print takes up much less space than my smile when that low note plays and my couch shakes. i have a birthday coming up and if the fiance is reading please buy me the pa-8f. and if i dont like them they will go back but clear out the back of the room because i will be trading in for a 3rd and maybe 4th pa-150 just because i can and i hate my neighbors......

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, your thread has 75 views so there is some interest. But members seem to like get their subs from a dedicated sub woofer manufacturer so SVS, ED and now Lava get all the sub woofer love around here. And Dayton/BIC if you're on the cheap. But it's nice to know there's an alternative.

I've been using a pair of the original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" in my living room for several years now and I'm quite happy with them. They're listed as going down to 25hz and it seems about right. In my "everyday" room I'm using a Dayton branded HSU knock-off and it's quite the little beast. Way too much sub for what I can really use but when I bought it it was on sale for less than the 8" version. Too bad I can't take advantage of a really good sub

Skally

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Skalland
Well rayderfan I could not agree with you any more as I have had the Pa-150 for about 5 months now as I am VERY impressed with the sub. I am running the PA-150 in the front portion of my HT area as I moved the dual Bic Pl-200s to the back portion ( stacked ). I can say that the PA-150 outperforms the dual Bics without a doubt. I am def. not new to the subwoofer world but by no means an expert eighter! I have had a chance to listen to a few other lines ( due to some good friends) and I would have to say the PA-150 is an excellent sub for the money. Is it compared to the SVS ultra13...no, but then again the Ultra cost $1600.00 too!! For someone on the budget since the Pa-150 is a no brainer. THe Bic Pl-200's are a good budget performer as well but I would have to say the little extra $ is well worth the performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks