What's new

Preamp/processor question Old Highend or new (1 Viewer)

deviate2112

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Cottle
I'm struggling with what to do here. I'm currently using a Sunfire Theater Grand Iv pre/pro. My system is NHT Classic 4's Classic 3 for back, and surround a couple subs Emotiva amps...a OPPO 103 DVD and so on...my question: Should I sell my Sunfire which was a very high end piece back in 2004 selling for over $3500...but which doesn't have the latest dig surround formats nor HDMI switching... and buy something newer...my budget would be about $1500-2000...I listen to 70% music 30% movies...so two channel means a lot to me. Reason for me to even ask...I was over a friends house who had just picked up a new Onkyo 9.2 receiver using it as a pre/pro...we fired up the latest Batman...and it just sounded incredible...better, I think then my system...but I'm just concerned about two channel listening. Emotive is supposed to be coming out with a new pre/pro...but it's been pushed back until who knows...possibly a Onkyo unit? Integra? Is anyone else a two channel fan?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I still like analog for two channel music. Older equipment can still sound great with the right sources (like OPPO) and good speakers. But HDMI does make things easier and it allows the use of the Audyssey, MCACC, YPAO, EZSetEQ, etc. which most people feel can make a big difference. If two channel music is your main concern then another option is a stereo pre-amp with HT Bypass like the Emotiva USP-1 or Parasound 2100 http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/usp1 http://www.parasound.com/nc/2100.php If you really want a surround sound processor then I recommend the Integra 8.9/9.9 or a newer model over the Emotiva offerrings. I've had them both and the Integra's are in a different class. Just my opinion of course. I did like the USP-1 and the 2100 is supposed to be even better.

deviate2112

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Cottle
I just don't think either of those units would be that much of an improvement over my Sunfire....it sounds pretty reasonable in two channel mode....my only reason to upgrade would be for the new surround formats and HDMI, I just don't want a downgrade in two channel mode. I've heard good things about the integra products, I just think they are way over priced/over my budget as well

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo's pure direct mode should quash any issues you might have. I've listened to 2.0 output from an Oppo 970 into my 707...and it is incredible.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I had the UMC-1 and UPS-1 and the USP-1 did make a pretty big difference in two channel audio. Maybe the UMC-1 just wasn't that great. There's a 9.9 on Audiogon for $700 + shipping. It should sound comparable to the Sunfire and give you the HDMI inputs but they're vs 1.3 so no 3D. http://app.audiogon.com/listings/processors-integra-dhc-9-9-pre-pro-2013-01-27-home-theater-98387 You would need the 70.2/80.2 to get 3D. If buying used equipment isn't for you then an entry-level Integra or Onkyo pre-pro would be my next recommendation, but they might not sound as good as your Sunfire. . I just wasn't thrilled with the Emotiva but the new model may be an improvement over the UMC-1. If you do decide to go that way look on ebay for the Emotiva discount card. They're good for 40% off the new model. I'll be listing mine one of these days. They go for about $125-$150. OutlawAudio.com now has a very entry-level processor but it just can't be in the same class as your Sunfire. http://outlawaudio.com/products/975.html You could also buy a regular receiver with pre-outs in your price range and use it as a processor. I'm guessing you don't want to go with a receiver to power your speakers? Too bad your Sunfire doesn't have multi-channel analog inputs. It would have matched well with your OPPO. In any event,TrueHD and Master Audio are worth the effort so I would find something to replace your Sunfire. I also use Pure Direct for two channel audio with my Pioneer Elite and Marantz receivers. BTW, Ac4l.com has listed the Marantz 8002 for $799 as a refurb, with warranty. It's an older model but my 7002 I had a few years ago just sounded wonderfull. And noticably better than my current 6005 :( .

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Im with Gene, the Emotiva UMC1 I owned and reviewed was an amazing two channel performer for a surround processor. I dont think youre far off the mark wanting to stay with Emotiva, they make great stuff. But I do understand the wait. I personally cant wait to see reviews for their new processor, the Sherwood R972 Im running now could well be replaced with an Emotiva someday. That having been said I also loved the sound of my old Marantz SR8002 as a two channel rig. Not positive about the newer models but Marantz has always been strong with two channel, and better than Onkyo IMO.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Type A said:
Im with Gene, the Emotiva UMC1 I owned and reviewed was an amazing two channel performer for a surround processor. I dont think youre far off the mark wanting to stay with Emotiva, they make great stuff. But I do understand the wait. I personally cant wait to see reviews for their new processor, the Sherwood R972 could well be replaced with a Emotiva someday. That having been said I also loved the sound of my old Marantz SR8002 as a two channel rig. Not positive about the newer models but Marantz has always been strong with two channel, and better than Onkyo IMO.
I don't think the newer Marantz receivers a the same as the older ones. They changed the DSP chip with the 5005/6005 and it just isn't the same. A stereo pre-amp does take things a step higher, at least the USP-1 I had did. It made me switch back to analog for two channel audio.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
gene c said:
Marantz 8002 for $799 as a refurb, with warranty. It's an older model but my 7002 I had a few years ago just sounded wonderfull. And noticably better than my current 6005 :( .
Wow. The 8002 was the most stable and reliable HDMI switcher I have ever owned (probably the fact that it was pass through only had something to do with that), and probably one of the best sounding AVRs Ive ever owned too. Thats not a bad deal at all. Also owned the 7002 for a time, it sounded just as good as the 8002, ironic I replaced the 8002 with an Onkyo (Ill never own Onkyo again btw ;) )

deviate2112

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Cottle
gene c said:
I had the UMC-1 and UPS-1 and the USP-1 did make a pretty big difference in two channel audio. Maybe the UMC-1 just wasn't that great. There's a 9.9 on Audiogon for $700 + shipping. It should sound comparable to the Sunfire and give you the HDMI inputs but they're vs 1.3 so no 3D. http://app.audiogon.com/listings/processors-integra-dhc-9-9-pre-pro-2013-01-27-home-theater-98387 You would need the 70.2/80.2 to get 3D. If buying used equipment isn't for you then an entry-level Integra or Onkyo pre-pro would be my next recommendation, but they might not sound as good as your Sunfire. . I just wasn't thrilled with the Emotiva but the new model may be an improvement over the UMC-1. If you do decide to go that way look on ebay for the Emotiva discount card. They're good for 40% off the new model. I'll be listing mine one of these days. They go for about $125-$150. You could also buy a regular receiver with pre-outs in your price range and use it as a processor. I'm guessing you don't want to go with a receiver to power your speakers? Too bad your Sunfire doesn't have multi-channel analog inputs. It would have matched well with your OPPO. In any event,TrueHD and Master Audio are worth the effort so I would find something to replace your Sunfire. I also use Pure Direct for two channel audio with my Pioneer Elite and Marantz receivers. BTW, Ac4l.com has listed the Marantz 8002 for $799 as a refurb, with warranty. It's an older model but my 7002 I had a few years ago just sounded wonderfull. And noticably better than my current 6005 :( .
My Sunfire does have multi-channel inputs, that's how I've got it hooked up now...but will that pass TrueHD and Master Audio? I've only tried it with DVD-audio and SACD?

deviate2112

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Cottle
Well I just answered my own question...duh! Well now that changes everything....so my Sunfire DOES have mulit-channel input...I don't know why I didn't think to use my oppo to process the hi-rez movie track...if it works for sacd and other audio multi-channel...what a huge difference. I just queued up SkyFall...and switched back and forth from multi analog and digital coax...big time...so now I have to watch all my blu-ray disc again....hahaha...and more importantly I'm not in a hurry to upgrade pre/pro's

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
deviate2112 said:
Well I just answered my own question...duh! Well now that changes everything....so my Sunfire DOES have mulit-channel input...I don't know why I didn't think to use my oppo to process the hi-rez movie track...if it works for sacd and other audio multi-channel...what a huge difference. I just queued up SkyFall...and switched back and forth from multi analog and digital coax...big time...so now I have to watch all my blu-ray disc again....hahaha...and more importantly I'm not in a hurry to upgrade pre/pro's
You aren't the first...nor will you be the last to have a D'OH moment...(had them many a time...)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I looked at the back of a picture someone downloaded onto the internet and it didn't show the m/c analog inputs. They must have downloaded a picture of a different Sunfire model. Anyway, glad your happy with what you've got. And yes, they also work for DVD-A/SACD.

patC

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Collins
OR You could get a proper analog Blu-Ray player, the Oppo 105 or the 95. There's quite an improvement on the analog out on these players. Then you could SELL ME YOUR 103!!!!!!!! Just sayin' I'm considering moving my Oppo BDP 83 to another room. New to the forum. So if your interested and reply we can figure out how to hook up.

deviate2112

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Cottle
patC said:
OR You could get a proper analog Blu-Ray player, the Oppo 105 or the 95. There's quite an improvement on the analog out on these players. Then you could SELL ME YOUR 103!!!!!!!! Just sayin' I'm considering moving my Oppo BDP 83 to another room. New to the forum. So if your interested and reply we can figure out how to hook up.
Ya, that's not going to happen...I love the 103.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks