What's new

Possible to integrate soundbar with existing speakers in new home? (1 Viewer)

vic3038

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor
I recently purchased a home that has built in Polk Rear and Surround speakers in the ceiling and back wall of my living room. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a soundbar that I could use to integrate with these speakers. I'm assuming I'd need to purchase a receiver as well. The reason for the soundbar is that I'd like to reduce clutter and by I I mean my girlfriend. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. I'm a noob so for all I know this might be a horrible idea. Thanks.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
vic3038 said:
I recently purchased a home that has built in Polk Rear and Surround speakers in the ceiling and back wall of my living room. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a soundbar that I could use to integrate with these speakers. I'm assuming I'd need to purchase a receiver as well. The reason for the soundbar is that I'd like to reduce clutter and by I I mean my girlfriend. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. I'm a noob so for all I know this might be a horrible idea. Thanks.
Basically it's an either-or proposition as far as AVR/speakers vs soundbar. A couple of smallish/midsize left/right front speakers doesn't add much to what "clutter" you'd already have with a soundbar, and a powered sub can be placed almost anywhere. If this is indeed a dealbreaker look forward to a lifetime of playing second fiddle to someone else's "decorating sense". That being said there's also the possibity of installing in-wall speakers to complete your array which should contribute to domestic harmony:D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is your budget? There is a bunch of stuff you can "hide"... KEF T-Series Def Tech Mythos Magnepan MMG-W (take the socks off and have her "create her own"...that will make sense when you actually look at Maggies. If she "truly likes to have decorating control"...tell her to learn how to use a sewing machine...and no, that isn't sexist...cause I use one)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
There are a couple of other option if you are set on a soundbar. (1) Some soundbars do not include an amp. Boston Accoustics is the only one I found with a quick search, but there are others. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics_US)&SubCatId=Soundbars(BostonAcoustics_US)&Pid=P4003ChannelSpeakerBK(BostonAcoustics) (2) Get a receiver/amp with preouts, and then use the preouts for the soundbar and the regular speaker connections for the surrounds. I recommend option1, option2 hurts my head (it's kind of the opposite of what should be your front speaers), but both would work.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Al.Anderson said:
There are a couple of other option if you are set on a soundbar. (1) Some soundbars do not include an amp. Boston Accoustics is the only one I found with a quick search, but there are others. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics_US)&SubCatId=Soundbars(BostonAcoustics_US)&Pid=P4003ChannelSpeakerBK(BostonAcoustics) (2) Get a receiver/amp with preouts, and then use the preouts for the soundbar and the regular speaker connections for the surrounds. I recommend option1, option2 hurts my head (it's kind of the opposite of what should be your front speaers), but both would work.
That is "almost" the same blasphemy as buying a $500 AVR with pre-outs so you could use Logitech Z506

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
schan1269 said:
That is "almost" the same blasphemy as buying a $500 AVR with pre-outs so you could use Logitech Z506
I assume you're talking about the second choice. I'd hate it too, but I feel obligated to answer the OP's question. The non-amped soundbar isn't terrible though, not my cup of tea, but not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks