What's new

Popcorn Advice (1 Viewer)

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Okay, I need popcorn advice. I love movie theater popcorn or any oil/kettle style.
The problem is, I can't afford one of those machines. I have tried a few brands of Microwave popcorn and like Orbal Redenbockers Home Theater popcorn with the add on butter kit the best. But, it still doesn't taste quite the same.
I got this as a gift:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=12180500
It makes a great show piece in my theater but the hot air popcorn tastes worse than the micro kind.
Anyone have any comments on how to make the best movie theater tasting popcorn at home without an expensive machine?
I wonder if this is what I'm looking for:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=11827780
Bob

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yes, one of those things will work, but you can get just as good results from a simple stainless steel Dutch oven. Get a largish one, cover the bottom with a couple tbsp of oil, pour in one layer of popcorn, and heat to medium. Shake occasionally and remove from heat when the popping slows.

I wouldn't compare this to movie popcorn though as it tastes a whole lot better. You may vary oil according to taste (I prefer a lot.) Air popcorn - yuck!

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Julie's dutch oven idea is a good one and I agree with Bryan that coconut oil is essential. The final peice of the puzzle is seasoning. Try Flavacol Flavored Butter Seasoned Salt, which can be ordered from most popcorn suppliers and can even be purchased at Sam's Club. It comes in paper cartons, like milk, and is what just about every theater uses to season their popcorn.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Hmm, I looked at some dutch ovens on the net and they would cost more then the whirley popcorn pot. I think I might try it.
Thanks for the links to the popcorn supplys. I saw a bundle for a kettle machine with the coconut oil and seasonings allready mixed. Do you think I can toss one of those packs in the Whirley pop ?(http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=11827780)
Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Do you have any frickkin idea how bad coconut oil is for you?!
Who ever said that popcorn is supposed to be healthy? It's a snack food and should be used accordingly. My friend's theater chain still *proudly* uses coconut oil to pop in and they sell more than ever. That canola oil junk that everyone else uses makes their lobbies smell like a fish fry...

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
The secret to good old fashioned movie theater popcorn is coconut oil as several responses have said.

Popcorn in the theaters has not been the same since the health nuts raised hell a few years ago, and most theaters switched to canola, or whatever.

Oddly enough, the candy sold in theaters is probably as bad, but they didn't switch out Milk Duds for carob coated soybeans.

Again, oddly enough, we tend to idolize persons in our culture that engage in all sort of potentially harmful activity - NFL, NASCAR, etc. but go into a panic if someone wants to eat a few handfuls of popcorn cooked in coconut oil!

Simply watching a movie is less healty than lifting weights, for example, but I don't plan on selling my HT any time soon to buy a set of dumbells.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Popcorn is like chicken - healthy when cooked some ways, unhealty when cooked in other ways.

The most unhealthy (and hence tastiest) version I know was a recipe given to me by a girlfriend. After cooking the popcorn, scatter grated parmesan cheese and salt over it. Then melt some butter in the pan and pour over the popcorn, mixing thoroughly with a spoon (a friend of mine tried mixing with his fingers forgetting that melted butter is just a trifle warm). This can easily add 1000000000000 calories to your daily intake whilst watching a good movie.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I was just online earlier this month looking for a popcorn maker. I saw on Amazon the West Bend 82306X Stir Crazy 6-Quart Popcorn Popper. I checked it out on a few other sites and it seemed to get good reviews. I do not have a dedicated Theater so I am not looking for a big machine, just something to use on a stovetop. Can anyone give me some help?
Jeff_P

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
The most unhealthy (and hence tastiest) version I know was a recipe given to me by a girlfriend. After cooking the popcorn, scatter grated parmesan cheese and salt over it. Then melt some butter in the pan and pour over the popcorn, mixing thoroughly with a spoon (a friend of mine tried mixing with his fingers forgetting that melted butter is just a trifle warm). This can easily add 1000000000000 calories to your daily intake whilst watching a good movie.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I'm so trying this tonight!!

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
Well Robert , thanks to you, I have a Craving for Popcorn now !!:D
Did a quick search for that Second Popper you mentioned. Found a few "Reviews" for it !!
Popcorn Popper
Now I'm going be out running around the stores and try to find one of these !!!!:angry::emoji_thumbsup:
Also:
Coconut Oil

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
coconut oil makes the popcorn MUCH better. When I worked at a theater they'd make popcorn for us with coconut oil sometimes :emoji_thumbsup:
another tasty thing is to dump a bunch of sugar in with the oil, when it pops it's like a light caramel corn almost...
anyway... try to get your hands on some of the powder flavor stuff, and dump that in the oil. You should be able to beat the average theater's popcorn easily.
BTW, when they ask if you want butter, SAY NOOOOOO all that shit consists of is oil, butter flavoring, and food coloring.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Robert and Jeff, I have the whilypop, and love it. I also buy the pre-packaged popcorn from that company, and it makes fantastic popcorn.
I purchased mine at www.popcornpopper.com. You might be able to find one discounted now that the holidays are almost over. Check your local department store (Famous Barr, Macy's, or whatever May company store is in your area). They often mark the poppers and the packaged popcorn down quite a bit.
The online store also sells coconut oil for poppers, and make a great sugar glazed popcorn (Kettle Corn).
The popper works great, keeps the kernals from burning, and is easy to clean.

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
Quote-BTW, when they ask if you want butter, SAY NOOOOOO all that shit consists of is oil, butter flavoring and food coloring.
But it makes the popcorn taste soooo much better.:D
I'm gonna have to try that popcorn thing tonight Andrew. Sounds good.
Dan

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
But it makes the popcorn taste soooo much better.
UGH it's disgusting, it comes in plastic 1 gallon jugs and they pour it into the warmers at open, then at close pour it back into the jug to be reused the next day.
popcorn too, if you go to a theater and the popper isn't on, don't buy it :)
they'd keep popcorn overnight and dump it back in the popcorn warmer the next morning to use before they popped fresh.

Sarah S

Second Unit
My husband makes some of the best popcorn. He takes the Movie-theater type microwave popcorn, and after its popped, adds melted butter & Johnny's Seasoning Salt (yellow cap). Tastes excellent.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Robert,
I have a beer budget priced suggestion...
West Bend Stir Crazy popcorn popper ($25 approx.) at Wal-Mart.
I have owned almost half dozen over the years and they work great and make great popcorn.
My preferred brand is white popcorn (more corn taste) from Pops Rite.
:) Hope this helps!
Lee

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I use a terrific little popper my wife got me, a couple of Christmas' back, from QVC. It's a six quart kettle that you use on the stovetop and has a crank through the handle so you can make it just like the big poppers in the cinemas. You can buy it on the internet for about $30. The address is www.popcornpopper.com. They also sell packets of really good corn and oil and personally I thinks it's a lot better than what they charge $6.00 for at the local multiplex.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks