What's new

Popcorn Advice (1 Viewer)

E

Eric Kahn

The first thing I ever learned to cook was popcorn so my dad could tell us kids to make it for him, I think I was 6 at the time

we used an aluminum presto pressure cooker (4 or 6 qt, not sure) with the gasket removed. poor in oil, usually straight vegetable oil till the bottom was covered, heat with 2 or 3 kernals of corn in the bottom till they pop'ed

cover bottom of pot with popcorn and put lid on, then pick up and shake pot every so often untill popping furiously, then unlock the lid so it could finsh popping, usually had to dump some in the big bowl, when the corn was done, throw a stick of butter in the pot and melt it then pour it over the corn and sprinkle some salt on it and mix it up

now I just use microwave popcorn and never buy it at the theator, i usually get red twizzlers at the movie theator on the 1 or 2 times a year I go

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Mark, you and I are on the same page. (See above)

Have you tried their pre-packaged popcorn, with oil and seasoning??? Yummy!

Is there anywhere to get the imitation butter type stuff that the theaters sell? Unfortunately, I like it better than real butter.

John Torrez

Second Unit
I say go with the Whirley-Pop. Read the reviews at amazon.com all of them are 5-stars except for one (which is 4-stars).

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone thanks for your feedback and the links. I have asked my wife to get me the whirley-pop for my 30th B-day.

Jeff_P

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I say go with the Whirley-Pop. Read the reviews at amazon.com all of them are 5-stars except for one (which is 4-stars).

But the West Bend "Earned Popcorn Institute Seal of Quality Performance"!!

The Whirley Pop sounds good though. Too bad you guys didn't start this conversation up earlier, would have made a nice Christmas gift for someone.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Since we're on the subject of popcorn, does anyone else here love the ACTII Kettle Korn (salt and sugared popcorn)? It has become a household favorite around our house!

Alfer

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Okay, I ordered the Whirley-pop stove top pot and a bundle of the pouches from popcornpopper.com. I will post how it tastes as soon as I get it later this week.

Bob

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm suprised Scooter, the King of Leisure himself hasn't shown up here. His popcorn is the best. And he used genuine movie theater butter flavoring ;)

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
well I received a Whirley Pop for my birthday and I have to say it is incredible. If you follow the directions you can have awesome popcorn in 3 minutes. Buying the pouches make it real easy also. The fluffiest, tastiest popcorn I have had in years.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Thanks for the compliment Jeff..JUST saw this thread.

I found that for theater flavor you have to use theater type stuff...like the Flavorcal salt...and I use the same stuff theaters use for topping in my butter topper. I used to use genuine butter...but that was a complete pain and VERY messy! And I use a theater style popcorn maker. Just replaced my old one with a bigger kettle commercial one.

As for coconut oil being bad for you...I mean how often are you gonna eat it??? 3 or 4 helpings of popcorn a day might have some impace..but occasional munching shouldn't create a problem.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I prefer making my own popcorn on the stovetop. Must look into one of these spinning rod type contraptions.
As far as microwave brands...Orville Redenbacher Pour Over Cheddar Butter...Mmmmmm.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Looking through this thread has got me wanting one of those poppers...for microwave I use Orville Redenbacher movie time butter...its pretty good stuff. I used to buy newmans own butter popcorn, but then tried orvilles and it was better.

Janna S

Second Unit
I hate microwave popcorn and have tried almost every kind of popper imaginable in the last 25 years. Currently I'm a big fan of the Presto PowerPopper. It's a plastic bowl on a base with a lid, with a paper/coated round disc that you put in the bottom(I guess it has something to do with concentrating the heat). It goes in the mocrowave. Pops regular popcorn with or without oil. It's not expensive, they carry it at WalMart and such places, and it's easy and quick. I haven't found anything better. I even prefer it to movie popcorn.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Yes, I got it and forgot to post my results.

Basically its worth the money. Using the whirley pot and the pouches makes some really good pop-corn. Much better than microwave brands. But, its not machine quality.

There is a certain taste you get from the machines, hard to describe. I think it has to do with getting extremely hot and when it pops, it cools off emediately when it drops. The whirley pops gets a little more rubbery than I would like (from being in a steamy pot) but its still better than microwave. Some day I'll just shell out the $500 for a machine.

Bob

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Butter is the key.

Have you guys ever been to one of those theaters that let you put your own butter on? One time I put so much on that the bottom of the bag fell out.

At home, I microwave then melt a stick of butter and dump it on.

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
Bringing this thread back with a Flavacol question. Do you add it to the kettle with the oil or sprinkle it on the popcorn after it's popped?

I made some last night and put it in the kettle. It seemed to come out fine but the kettle is a mess.

Anthony

PS - I bought WAAAAY too much oil and flavorings so I'll be selling them off in the "for sale" section soon. I bought so much my wife is still laughing at me(she loves the popcorn though!)

John D.

Auditioning
The ACTII Kettle Korn is awesome. I just discovered it myself. I also tried the Orville Redenbacher (how the heck do you spell that?) Kettle Korn and found it a bit too buttery for kettle Korn.

If you want the most butter flavor in you Microwave popcorn try "Blast O Butter". I'm not kidding thats what its called and its awesome. I cant remember who makes it.

And yes, Parmesan cheese on popcorn rocks.

On a side note, anyone know why you cant find those flavored microwave popcorns anymore? The kind that had the separate flavor packets. I used to love the sour cream & onion and the Carmel corn versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks