What's new

Popcorn Advice (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The theatre in my home town gives the option of real butter now. Costs extra though.

Every time I eat popcorn it seems like I end up with yet another broken tooth, so I try to avoid it. It gets pretty hard to though.......especially when the movie is a long one.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I pre-heat the electric bun prior to placing on the whirley popper.

Oh, and I have the opposite opinion of micro-popcorn. I leave it in longer (not burnt) but to the point of almost burning......to each his own.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
i dont find micorwave popcorn that bad, but its just not that good.

Oil popped on the stove is much better.

The theatre in my home town gives the option of real butter now. Costs extra though.
Hehe, my local theatre tricks people into paying extra for butter....

Actually I hate them. It's a big Collusus theatre. WHen it opened a few years ago ticket were a pricy $10. Then it went up to 11, then 12, and now that all the other theatre are out of buisness, $13.50....

I love home theatre. Cheap movies, cheap popcorn.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Zen - that thing is off the hook. How does it pop?
It's a 4oz. kettle I buy the prepacked popcorn Snap-Pak 5.4 oz. (complete w/ coconut sludge) It does very well. The top part (the popper) is not flush with the cart though. You have to buy the 6oz. popper(like in the link) for perfect fit, but is still cool.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Zen, what's the cleaning ritual like?? (I still remember cleaning up the popper at the theater where I worked as a kid - yuck).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
"1967. I was 16. Worked as an usher at General Cinema Corporation, Big Town Mall in Mesquite, TX. $0.75 an hour."
"On Saturday mornings I would pop about two dozen large trash bags of popcorn in a little room behind the screen. The manager would get mad at me 'cause I used too much coconut oil and yellow seasoning salt. Hey, the yellow is the best part- right? The patrons must have gone nuts from the great smell. Of course it was kind of a rip-off, selling old popcorn all week."
Wow - it was the EXACT same drill when I worked at the GCC in Shreveport from 1974-1977 (only we got a whopping $1.35/hr by then). And yes, it was called Savorol then too. I "appropriated" a can of the stuff when I left that lasted me a good ten years! :D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
It's easy. In the manual it says soft towels and cloth for everywhere including the outside of the kettle. I wet them a bit, and then use a dry one. I have yet to clean the inside of the kettle. You shouldn't have to until it gets carbonized badly.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
I hate microwave popcorn and have tried almost every kind of popper imaginable in the last 25 years. Currently I'm a big fan of the Presto PowerPopper. It's a plastic bowl on a base with a lid, with a paper/coated round disc that you put in the bottom(I guess it has something to do with concentrating the heat). It goes in the mocrowave. Pops regular popcorn with or without oil. It's not expensive, they carry it at WalMart and such places, and it's easy and quick. I haven't found anything better. I even prefer it to movie popcorn.
My Mom and Dad have had one of these for a couple years, and I just got one for Christmas, and I have to agree, that it is just as good as any popcorn I've ever had popped over the stove. Plus, I think it's easier to clean up!

Matt

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
BTW, when they ask if you want butter, SAY NOOOOOO all that shit consists of is oil, butter flavoring, and food coloring.
I don't care what it is, its yummy :)
I don't like my whirlypop very much. It doesn't vent enough steam so the popped stuff turns out chewy. I would love to have a popper that uses oil but doesn't make chewy popcorn.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My Whirly Pop doesn't make chewy corn, I'm not sure why. Maybe they have had different versions with different sized vents?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have only heard how bad it is for you. I'm sure most fans of popcorn are not taking double shots of the stuff. For that theater popcorn taste, coconut oil is vital. In conjunction with Flavacol, you have a winner every time.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Just read that website, the idea its bad for you was from a very old test before they even knew which fats were good or not. In reality its actually good for your health and recudes cholestorel and chnaces of heart disease, just search for "coconut oil bad" on google, without the quotes, and you'll find tons of websites that explain how healthy it is.

Also as mentioned only non-hydrogented coconut oil is healthy, which is what the website where I get my popcorn from sells.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
as mentioned only non-hydrogented coconut oil is healthy, which is what the website where I get my popcorn from sells.
Thanks for the useful information. I stay away from hydrogenated stuff, Unfortunately, a quick glance at the ingredients on a lot of foods says many people don't, and I would think the coconut oil typically used for movie theater popcorn is hydrogenated.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Ive read theaters now use Canola, I hope ours do, meaning the one Ill make at home when I receive the coconut oil I ordered will be even better, and I already have flavacol :D
I also ordered caramel, chocolate and rasberry popcorn glazes, but I dont think those are healty :D

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Yea, I took 2 of those because I read it was good and I've had some pre-made caramel popcorn and really like it.

Did you try any of the other flavors? I took 1 chocolate and 1 rasberry to see if I like it.

BTW, do you think I'd have any problem using the glazes in my stir crazy (which should be delivered any minute now, its 3:45PM and its still not here!)?

The glazes are powder/granular and not like mollases right?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks