What's new

Peacock Poker Face (2023) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Episode 6 “Exit Stage Death” was mediocre, to be generous. The weakest episode so far, and with a murder scenario even less plausible than “Time of the Monkey”. And two great actors, Ellen Barkin and Tim Meadows, playing bad actors came off as bad actors.

Hope Episode 7 is strong.
I enjoyed it. And I thought Barkin and Meadows were hilarious. But yeah it was the weakest so far with a very abrupt ending.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife is getting tired of Poker Face already. It’s becoming too one-note for her, with it being a ridiculous murder everywhere Charlie goes.

I’m still ok with it. But I think the murder setup needlessly constrains the stories. Charlie’s ability to detect lies offers a lot of story-telling options, so I don’t know why they’re limiting to only solving murders.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It’s becoming too one-note for her, with it being a ridiculous murder everywhere Charlie goes.
Thats my one complaint of the show. But it’s so entertaining I can forgive it.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Great episode 7! I thought it was innovative that
Davis used Charlie’s lie-detecting abilities to his advantage in covering up his own wrong doings. This show knows how to stay fresh while being an episodic series that follows a formula of sorts.
Also super psyched about another season coming!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“The Future of the Sport” is good in all the ways the last episode was bad. Everything about this episode worked, especially the great writing and performance for “Davis” who accepted Charlie’s “Cancer Dog” ability to sniff lies and acted accordingly around her.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“The Orpheus Syndrome” had the most ‘70s or ‘80s retro vibe so far, I think, with its low-light, high grain, zoom shots. And then the ending with the ‘’80s horror vibe.

Another good episode with a satisfying comeuppance ending. Similar in vibe, but different in details, from The Future of the Sport. I liked the overt eye-twitching this episode, a funny quirk to play off of. I trust that’s a one-off, and won’t be a regular character quirk.

Also nice to get Tim Russ on screen.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Have only watched up through episode 5 (the one in the old folks' home, which was the best so far IMO), but am really enjoying this show. At first, I wasn't qute sure what to make of Natasha Lyonne, with her odd mannerisms and 3-pack-a-day voice, but I've gradually warmed to her character, and the writing and guest performances have generally been of a high caliber.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Great episode this week! Probably my favorite one yet. Hopefully the finale goes out strong.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is a great show and ep 9 was fantastic. Had a little different direction and was a nice change. Really dig the Columbo style of the show from title cards through the rest. Ep 5 and 6 were not as good to me, although some people disagree. Has had a great guest cast throughout and really glad it is renewed.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I think this is a great show and ep 9 was fantastic. Had a little different direction and was a nice change. Really dig the Columbo style of the show from title cards through the rest. Ep 5 and 6 were not as good to me, although some people disagree. Has had a great guest cast throughout and really glad it is renewed.
This is really the only show that I think has captured the essence of Columbo and is doing it right!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Escape from Shit Mountain was a crazy episode! I appreciated that this episode was the opposite from the prior episode. The Orpheus Syndrome had Charlie literally eye-twitching. In this one, her sense of lies was almost inconsequential. It was driven more by the straight deduction.

I was confused by the lack of payoff on the drugs in the mug of rum. It was Checkov’s Gun, but the gun wasn’t fired in the third act. Trey drinking down the blues was setup, shown to happen meaningfully, and then…a blurry camera moment and it’s forgotten.

My guess is the plan was for him to die in the woods, falling asleep in the snow. And then in editing, they changed the ending.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
“The Orpheus Syndrome” had the most ‘70s or ‘80s retro vibe so far, I think, with its low-light, high grain, zoom shots. And then the ending with the ‘’80s horror vibe.

Another good episode with a satisfying comeuppance ending. Similar in vibe, but different in details, from The Future of the Sport. I liked the overt eye-twitching this episode, a funny quirk to play off of. I trust that’s a one-off, and won’t be a regular character quirk.

Also nice to get Tim Russ on screen.
I’m catching up on the last couple episodes. “The Orpheus Syndrome“ was fantastic! Being a special effects geek made this one extra special for me. Charlie’s twitch problem made me laugh out loud! This one very much had a classic Columbo vibe to it, except I think the big difference is that Charlie is a regular person who can get more emotionally involved with others in a way Lt. Columbo could not.

Great episode!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My wife wanted to watch this series. Saw them all except the race car driver episode because for whatever reason she started that one, didn't like it, and turned it off. So skipped to the next episode. I thought the series was OK, my wife liked it more than I did. Favorite episode for both of us, by far, was the Nick Nolte episode.

My second favorite episode was probably the Shit Mountain episode, which was not one of my wife's favorites.

I knew nothing about Ms. Lyonne going in so looked her up and read her short bio. She seems to have led a tough life. Wish her success with this.

Definitely not my favorite series, I would not call it must see TV. My wife is a big Columbo fan and so it was sort of like that, the Nolte episode felt like a TV episode right out of the 1970s, which I would say is a part of why we both liked it so much.

Call me not hooked but it is a well made show with plenty of nice Columbo like guest appearances.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Natasha Lyonne's presence alone is enough to make this extremely intriguing to me but not enough to sign up for a streaming service. If it ever makes it's way down the pipeline I'll look forward to seeing it.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed the series, I liked its retro-modern vibe. I like Lyonne. I’m not particularly a murder-mystery enthusiast, but this Poker Face was fun.

It’s not Squid Games, it’s not must-watch. But I’m glad for it and will watch Season 2.

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
I just finished the first season's ten episodes. All were worth watching thanks to innovative scripts, inspired direction and finely tuned performances by every actor. I'm very much looking forward to a second Season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks