What's new

please suggest which one is better (1 Viewer)

bbc300

Auditioning
Real Name
hahse
please suggest which one is better. Where I live there are no shops where I can check them out for myself. So I am asking for someone's expertise who can guide me. Once I decide, i'll be ordering it online. Thanks HT-S3500 http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=f YHT-296 http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/aud...96/?mode=model

bbc300

Auditioning
Real Name
hahse

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We don't get that Yamaha here in the states. Last I checked, we can't even download the manual... But...I would stay away from that Onkyo. The subwoofer is not upgradeable(well it is if you have woodworking skills...cause you'd have to make one). The "least" Onkyo to consider is the 5500. Have no idea what that one will cost you in relation to the Yamaha. But both The 296 and 298 Yamaha get good reviews. The only difference is in the features(and again, in the states...we don't have them). If the 296 does everything you need...and you won't be wishing you bought the 298...sure. Regardless forget the 3500.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
To expand on what Sam said, the 3500 uses a passive subwoofer, which means it's powered by the receiver. Most subs these days have their own power, so you either have to hunt down the rare passive sub, or make you own. On the other hand, if you are treating the purchase as a one-time purchase and don't care about upgrading, then it's not a horrible purchase as there's nothing infoerier about the system. (But I'd go with the Yamaha.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks