What's new

Please recommend a decent 5 speaker set! Budget ~$400 (1 Viewer)

kehi

Agent
Please let me know what you think is the best package for under $400. I do not need a subwoofer but the speakers have to be small (like satellites) and black in color. Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
What about Athena's (a Canadian speaker company) cheaper line? They're very good sounding, well constructed, low in price from on-line vendors, and come in black. My 0.02 cents...

-THTS

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Hometheaterdirect Level II's. These sound pretty good for the money. The level III's do not for some reason.

David

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I like the Klipsch Quintets. From everything I have heard they are much more comparable to bigger bookshelf speakers and have a much fuller sound I feel. To each his own, they can be found for about $300-350 for the 5 speakers without subwoofer.

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Wharfedale Diamond 8 line at Buy.com .

You can get the 8.1's for fronts and surrounds and Diamond center for a grand total of $320.10.
They're small and come in black too.
Without a doubt the best deal anywhere.

zachary

Auditioning
I bought the Atlantic Technolgy T-70 Sat pack from soundcity.com open box for $400. 5 speaker system that is small and black. They are new but without the sub. These speakers are amazing, but really need a sub.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed today that Fry's is having a one-day only sale and they have an Onkyo 6.1 speaker setup for $99.00. That's hard to beat for value.

brad cook

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
$99 is a steal for what you are getting but it sure tell's you what the markup is on this stuff :angry: . $279 originally.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I second J. Fo. A coworker of mine got a set of the Tykes and the build quality and sound are pretty darn good for the money. For a complete system in the $400 range, they'd be my choice.

Marc H

Second Unit
Let me put a word in for another Canadian speaker set, the Orbit 5.1A from Dahlquist. The sats are about the size of a pound of butter, black and aren't as forward in the treble as a lot of tiny sat speakers are. I think they are fantastic for the price, well made and very nice sound IMHO. They come with a sub and a pretty good one too for a small one but you could always sell that or using two subs is definitely not a bad thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks