What's new
World Wide Stereo

Please help me round out my system (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
The repairs on my home from Hurricane Charley are nearing the phase where I can start shopping for stuff. I have had my contractor build an entertainment center during the process. It has room enough for my components, 17" sub, speakers and the biggest TV on display at Circut City. (should I ever want a RPTV that large) It resembles a stage more than an entertainment center.

Over the top is an overhang where the screen for the projector will drop down in front for when I want to watch a movie on a big screen. I've had a DLP projector for years and am happy with it in all respects. (NEC 260) We usually watch it with about an 8' wide picture.

My regular 27" CRT TV was damaged in the storm, so I have to replace it. I figure it is time to get a widescreen TV. It will be used for regular viewing. Long hours of Nickelodeon, some X-Box time, and occasional movies when I don't feel like messing with the drop-down screen and projector. I plan to upgrade my satalite TV to widescreen signal/surround/Tivo.

So I am in the market for a widescreen RPTV. When I was shopping for a projector I found projectorcentral.com which has a very useful comparison tool for projectors. Is there something similar to that for RPTVs? Any suggestions from members here on what would be a good brand/model?

I have a budget of about $1500, but can stretch it if needed. I want as much screen as possible to fit my purposes. The room can be made fairly dark, but if I do that it is for the projector, so there is quite a bit of ambient sunlight during the day. We seldom need to turn on the lights during the day.

I think that buying at Circut City or Sears is my best choice. At Sears I can get an employee discount through a relative. There is really noplace else locally to buy. My understanding is that the extended warranty is valueable with these things, no? I also understand that I should not pay 'sticker', but any coaching on a fair price would be appreciated.

Any advice here or links to sites with a screening tool similar to the one at projectorcentral? I apprecate whatever advice you could give.

Thanks

728x90

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks