What's new

Need help with vinyl setup, please help? (1 Viewer)

UKben

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben dot
Im pretty young so i missed out on when vinyls were a big thing so i know nothing. What do i need? My guess is a turntable, amp and speakers... am i right? Can someone list me a good, cheap setup? Im willing to spend.. i dont know maybe £300? I have a lot of friends round mine and i have a free house most of the time so i really want some big speakers to give me a loud but clear sound. Is my budget unrealistic? Im willing to spend a bit more to get some bigger speakers. I dont have any interest in mixing i just wanna listen to tunes. The size of my room is 11ft x 11ft. Bare in mind your speaking to someone who has little experiance in sound systems. Just ever since i went to a free party i wanna rinse some techno and jungle records :D. Thanks

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
That will be rough on that budget. I think a 2.1 or 3.1 would do you good. You will spend 300 pounds on just the receiver and turntable, even used would be rough. To get what you need from that rich sounding vinyl, you want to spend at least as much on your speakers as you do on your amp/receiver, and turntable. Used you may be able to get what. You want for roughly double your budget, maybe a bit less if your good at shopping, and know what to look for.

UKben

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben dot
Whats a 2.1? 3.1? Im definitely going to buy second hand, whats the deal with amps? Does the watt thing have to match the watt of the speakers what else am i supposed to look for to get a good match? If i made my budget to £400 do you think i could scrape by? I found a Technics SL BD-22 Servo Turntable for £50, is that any good? It says perfect condition.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi, Ben, welcome to HTF! Stick to one thread and we will be able to focus our attention to help you. 2.1 means 2 speakers and a subwoofer.

UKben

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben dot
Yeah im sorry about that, i didn't realise one of them actually postem and im finding this very confusing.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
Technic's were known for their turntables. Test it really well before you buy. Make sure the needle is solid, and the servo mechanism works well. It's a good start at 50 pounds. You can find a receiver for the other 150 pounds fairly easy. That leaves you 200 pounds in budget. That's roughly 320 dollars if my conversion is correct. And your located in UK? What part? I have heard of people on the military bases leaving and selling their gear for cheap. Keep an eye out. I have seen Canton towers go for 300 pounds due to orders.

UKben

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben dot
Yeah i will have to bring a friend who knows a bit more to check it out with me. Im from the South West, Near Bristol. Okay that sounds great, what brands shall i look out for that are known to be good for the amp and recievers? Im in no rush to buy the whole set up straight away so im going to keep my eye out. Thanks

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
Okay, start with an entry level 5.1 receiver. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, some Sony ES models. Make sure they have a phono input for that turntable. And at least start with a good set of main speakers. The 5.1 gives you room for 3 more speakers plus a sub. I'm not as familiar with Vinyl, however I will eventually inherit my parents collection of hundreds of records. Including original release : Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Zep, and soooooo many more. So, I may be here asking similar questions about vinyl one day.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
By the way, I am looking at getting back into vinyl. This turntable has piqued my curiosity. http://www.uturnaudio.com/ I have an old Pioneer turntable from a 1986 rack system. It is not very good. I have a few records that survived water damage. I also acquired The Beatles Vinyl box set and am on the mailing lists for a couple of companies that deal in new and used vinyl.

UKben

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben dot
Okay, thanks so much! Hopefully soon ill be spinning some classics. The only record i have is a John Prine one i got from my Grand father

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have half-speed masters of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and Steely Dan Aja that were cleaned up post-water damage. I can also probably clean up a half-speed master of Simon and Garfunkel Bridge over Troubled Water. I am on a mailing list for Acoustic Sounds and they are re-releasing on vinyl and releasing on SACD Roger Waters Amused to Death. I'll probably get the SACD, but this is the sort of vinyl that interests me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks