What's new

Please Help - HDMI Splitter (1 Viewer)

Kenny9018

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenny
Here is what I am trying to do. I like to listen to music and watch TV at the same time sometimes (mostly when I have people over and we're watching sports where we don't need sound). With my Denon receiver (and with almost all receivers), I cannot do this and have them both go through my surround. My idea was to get an HDMI splitter and split the signal from my cable box to 1. the TV directly, and 2. the receiver which also goes to the TV. IF I wanted to listen to music through my surround speakers I would switch the HDMI output to the signal split to the TV directly and bascally skip the receiver all together. I have heard some bad things about splitters but as you can see I would never actually be splitting the signal, it would just be directed to the receiver or directly to the TV, depending on which on I needed at the time. I have heard things about passive splitters frying electronics or diminishing picture quality. If I was never actually splitting the signal, just using it at different times would this be a problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Technically, since you wouldn't be watching both "branches" of the HDMI signal at the same time, you would need a switch - not a splitter. Switches should be perfectly safe for all your electronics. There are manual versions that are relatively cheap, or there are more expensive models that are remote-controlled for easier and more convenient use. Check out www.monoprice.com for some HDMI switches. There are probably lots of other resources for them - google is your friend.

Another thought, though:

Are you using a DVD or Blu-Ray player to play music, or a dedicated CD-Player? The reason I ask is that with some recievers, if you are watching/listening to a video source (SAT, for example) and then switch to an audio-only input, (CD is a typical input that by default has no associated video input) then the original video feed is passed, but the new audio feed (CD) is passed as well.

This would be easy to check if you're using the CD inputs for your music, however if you're using a DVD or Blu-Ray player, it may be a bit trickier, since you'll also have a video input associated with the sound.

IN this case, you could try running a second audio connection from your DVD/Blu-Ray: stereo Red/White RCA plugs from the player to the CD inputs on your receiver, and see if that works. It's a shot in the dark, but there's a chance it would work for you.

FWIW, I used to do the exact same thing with my old Onkyo receiver - listen to CDs during sports games. If you're like me, you can probably provide a much more entertaining play-by-play than the TV announcers, anyway.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks