What's new

Please build me a system (1 Viewer)

CuriosityBlue

Auditioning
Real Name
Diane Petersen
Greetings, audiophiles!

I am quite a techie, but a noob when it comes to audio. I am looking to replace an aging Bose with something else. To the credit of Bose, the system has lasted 8 years with only recent signs of imminent demise. I do not, however, want to go there again.

My budget is about what a new Bose would cost, which is about $2-3k or so now? My husband has allowed me to pick what we need as long as we can keep within that price range, or else he'll buy another Bose (nooooo!)

I will be needing the receiver, Blu-ray, and speakers. If I have any left over, I'll be upgrading the HTPC (Mac Mini.)

My configuration:

5 point surround sound wired into the living room (vaulted ceilings, somewhat asymmetrical distribution of speaker zones)

HTPC, Mac Mini

Wii

60" DLP Mitsubishi TV, 1-2 year old technology

Analog TV signal via antenna (it rains on TV all the time) and internet through the computer for TV

Rural residence - this will be a DIY install.

Alesis 4 port USB mixer (for running karaoke through the Mac), Shure PG48 XLR mics X 2

My main problem is when I have girls' night karaoke. Some of us are screamers and we get a lot of clipping currently. We can't seem to get the output loud enough, and I don't have room for a proper amp in the living room so we use the speakers on stereo. Otherwise our setup is adequate for music or movie watching.

I need at least 2 HDMI in, a couple of composites, and a TOSlink for sure (unless I upgrade the Mini, then nix the TOSlink.) I would also like a 7.1 system if possible, for now or for upgrade. Not sure if the extra zones from 7.1 will help balance my asymmetrical placement of speakers?

My speakers need to accommodate at least twice the volume as my current system, and I need some kind of internal mechanism in the receiver which will protect the system from occasional screams into the microphone. I don't need my components to have internet capability since I have the computer. I need to install this myself or pay $250 to fly in an installer. I'm partial to the idea of mounted speakers rather than built in for this reason. Keep in mind I will be ordering all of my components from online sources due to my rural location.

I'm not a big computer gamer anymore, but don't want to rule out that I won't be again. Most of what I do is music, movies, and the karaoke.

Sorry this is so long, but I needed to lay out my unique setup.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For the BluRay player, any models from this list will be just fine with Panasonic, LG, Samsung and Sony getting the most recommendations. The $499 Oppo will beat them all but it's too large a chunk of your budget. If you can find a Pioneer BDP-51FD and send away for the version 1.65 update disk (free from Pioneer and very easy to install) then you will have the audio and video quality of the Oppo without DVD-A/SACD but for much less than 1/2 the price, if you can find one from an authorised dealer. I know this because I own both .

For speakers, most will recommend this set from SVS/SB-01 which comes with a real sub woofer (as opposed to what you're used to ) and it's currently on sale for $999 + shipping. Others to look at are the Enthusiasts1 ($1300 shipped) and Enthusiasts2 ($1400 shipped) from HSU Research. AxiomAudio is another option as is the Polk Monitor-40, Monitor-30 and CS-10, on close-out from Newegg.com They won't sound as good as the svs or hsu but should play loud. Add an SVS/HSU sub woofer.

For the receiver I'd say at least an Onkyo 707 or Denon 2310. Ac4l.com always has great prices on Onkyo factory refurbished models, with a one year warranty, like the 707 ($429 + shipping) and the 876 ($849 +) which is a whale of a receiver. That should get you started.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
While I love the Oppo, your best bet if you're wanting bang/buck for something to get started on a budget is to grab a Sony PS3. You can find them at Gamestops everywhere for $240, and with updates, they are amongst the fastest BD players out there.

Think seriously about grabbing a decent receiver and package. You can grab a 7.1 receiver for around $400 for decent, and get a SVS set as mentioned above for about $1000. Total with those three is going to set you back about $1700.

If this is a DIY project, you're going to be doing your own mounts, etc. Monoprice, etc. have them, but figure you're going to spend $100-$200 on wall mounts, cable, etc. all in.

So there we are at about $2k.

If you want to go more, the first step is to look at speaker packages that are a bit heftier. But judge this carefully based on the room you are in. There is no point at all in spending a ton on huge speakers and systems if your room is not that big. Buy according to the area you are in and the expectations you have.

CuriosityBlue

Auditioning
Real Name
Diane Petersen
Wow, you guys are fast! My room is about 15' x 24' with the main couch smack in the middle. Don't know if that is big, but I think not too big. The Blu-ray can wait, anyway, since I have DVD on my computer. Don't currently have Blu-ray, so what I don't know I can't miss. I was looking for a smaller profile set of speakers, but I probably can't do that without sacrificing output anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion of a PS3. It never occurred to me that it would be a decent player as well as a game system.

I'll check into both of your suggestions. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks