What's new

PlayStation Portal. Was Sony Project Q (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sony already said the video would stream at 1080p. Its just a 1080 LED screen, I believe.

Honestly, I've gotten to the point where I love having pretty games but having something that runs smoothly, conveniently, and is fun will outweigh graphics/resolution/sound. If they can stream every single PS5 game to this thing at 1080p and at least 30 fps, I'll be happy.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've never had any issue with any game running on my PS5. Since I prefer to play sitting in chair in front of a large high quality screen the Q is not a product in my wheelhouse.

A portable is only useful to me if it can be used away from home. I just do not see the point of streaming a lower quality experience to a device when a superior level of quality is just a room away.

I could live.with a reduced resolution of 1080p if the device allowed me to download games from my PS+ account and play them on the go; otherwise, it is useless to me.

However, that is not to say this device should not exist.for those who would find it useful to them.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sony already said the video would stream at 1080p. Its just a 1080 LED screen, I believe.

Honestly, I've gotten to the point where I love having pretty games but having something that runs smoothly, conveniently, and is fun will outweigh graphics/resolution/sound. If they can stream every single PS5 game to this thing at 1080p and at least 30 fps, I'll be happy.
30 fps would be a deal breaker for me.

I'm fine with 1080p on a small handheld display and would be surprised (and find it rather unnecessary) if it did 4k. 480p on the Wii U gamepad for instance looked great and if I didn't know better, I'd of guessed it was 720p.

But I need 60 fps if I'm going to enjoy Arcade Archives downloads and such on this.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The price looks to be no more than $300.

That is about as BS as it gets. Mixes Microsoft's internal estimation of something (which isn't actually happening; they refer to a handheld PS5, not a streaming device) and the writer's personal guess of $200-299.

At that price, a streaming-only device that requires a $400-500 PS5 is DOA.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Although I have no plans to purchase the "Portal U," I'm looking forward to watching people try to modify its guts to play PSP or Vita games instead.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
After some of the Steam deck modifications I've seen over the past year, I'm just counting down the days until I see a YouTube video with a thumbnail of a "shocked"-looking guy and the giant yellow words: "I TURNED MY PORTAL INTO A VITA!"

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I couldn't help but notice no mention of the ability to stream backwards compatible PS4 games. While probably too rich for my blood for what this device is, the ability to play PS4 content off a PS5 will be key if I were to ever acquire this (Arcade Archives and Pinball Arcade on PS4 are two particular targets for me that I could see playing a lot of away from the PS5).

Normally I wouldn't think twice about this, but their limitations and whitelists are still well remembered by me such as on the failed Playstation TV. Hopefully they've updated all their contractual agreements since then, erasing the need for publisher agreements on something as simple as streaming their content to a controller screen.

Perhaps it's such a forgone conclusion here that they don't even feel the need to highlight the ability to play BC PS4 games from this device, but I'm not so sure about that.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Leo - the Portal is just a straight-up remote play device for PS5. If a game is running on PS5 and it's not VR, then you can stream it to the Portal.

I read a rumor online that it will include some sort of dock and I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a way to play PS5 remotely on another TV, like PlayStation TV but...better.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I can promise you that there's going to be limitations. Especially with video playback I'm sure there's going to be tons of restrictions.

I've been here before with Sony. Both with streaming restrictions on the PSP, Vita, and PSTV as well as compatibility whitelists with games that technically had no roadblock preventing compatibility yet weren't allowed to run simply since publisher contracts didn't foresee PS3/PSP compatible content being compatible with successor platforms.

I'm not sure there's going to be PS4 limitations here with games themselves. I suspect you're going to be correct and don't think Sony will likely need permission for PS4/PS5 content to be streamed locally to a controller with a screen. I was just noting that they didn't mention that BC content will be playable with Portal and was recalling past headaches.

For instance of one of the more memorable annoyances that I experienced first hand, I bought the physical cartridge of F1 2011 for the Vita since it was on the compatibility list for the Playstation TV. It didn't work and it turns out Codemasters only had whitelisted the digital PSN download and thus Sony had the physical release blocked.

I'm a bit leery simply because of that debacle that went on with legal silliness with backwards compatible content on the Vita/PSTV (and in the case of the PSTV, just plain old Vita compatibility with scores of Vita games blocked on the consolized counterpart despite no touch screen usage).

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You can't use streaming services (PS+ streaming, Netflix, Apple TV+, etc.) but anything that is installed ON the PS5 should be playable, including PS4 games and any Classics. I believe they confirmed this.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member

I hate to say it, but the more I read and think about it, the more I kind of want the Portal. I don't care about the bluetooth thing so much but the idea of being able to play games in another room without having to use my phone (and crappy controller) or my Steam Deck (which requires a bunch of finagling to get right) is very appealing. The price is higher than I'd like but, I mean, it kind of comes with the territory.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
You can't use streaming services (PS+ streaming, Netflix, Apple TV+, etc.) but anything that is installed ON the PS5 should be playable, including PS4 games and any Classics. I believe they confirmed this.
They might've. I've only read what you've linked to in this thread from the official Playstation blog and there's no mention there.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've gone from thinking this thing stupid to being kind of intrigued by it. Just due to how much I play my Switch in the post-supper evening. Not sure I'll pay whatever the massively inflated Canadian price will be, but if the reviews are decent and I catcc a sale/free with points?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I've gone from thinking this thing stupid to being kind of intrigued by it. Just due to how much I play my Switch in the post-supper evening. Not sure I'll pay whatever the massively inflated Canadian price will be, but if the reviews are decent and I catcc a sale/free with points?
Might want to stick with that Switch. Christ, Sony dropped the ball hard on this one. What were they smoking?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
200US is approximately 272CAN, so most likely a price of 270 to 275. Too much for something as of limited use as this device is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks