What's new

PlayStation Portal. Was Sony Project Q (2 Viewers)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Sony has officially confirmed it’s working on a PlayStation handheld to make it easier to play your PS5 games. “We will launch a dedicated device that enables you to stream any game from your PS5 console using Remote Play over Wi-Fi,” PlayStation boss Jim Ryan said during the PlayStation Showcase. “Internally known as ‘Project Q,’ it has an 8-inch HD screen and all of the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller.”

It’ll have an LCD screen running games at up to 1080p and 60fps over Wi-Fi, according to a Sony press release, and will feature both the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback of the DualSense. The Q handheld is set to launch later this year

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've tried their game streaming via PS+ premium over a hard-wired connection. I wasn't impressed with the stuttering and framedrops that occurred during play. I can just imagine the frustration of streaming to a wireless device over connections of dubious quality.

A handheld that requires a PS5 to stream games over wireless is a solution that no one was looking for. Why would anyone bother buying this when they could just get a steam deck or ROG Ally which doesn't require purchasing another piece of equipment to use?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
An exclusively streaming pad is not the same as the switch. It’s more like the Logitech g cloud
That's what I was thinking, and without the flexibility. I love my Switch, if I get another portable it will most likely be one of those units we're not allowed to talk about.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah, I never understood the appeal of remote play over wifi. If it's wifi, then that means I have to be on the same network as my PS5, which means in the same house as the PS5. So why wouldn't I just play on the actual PS5 then?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What can’t we talk about?
Probably an emulation centric handheld.

If my guess is accurate, you can still talk about such devices here. Patents for classic systems are long expired, many don't have a copyrighted bios, and several platforms have thriving homebrew scenes with games freely distributed by their creators.

There's nothing wrong for instance with downloading an Atari 2600 emulator and a homebrew that's been made available to download by the programmer, both legally and where the forum rules about piracy are concerned. You can even download original Activision and Atari SA properties from AtariAge without breaking the law, since both companies have allowed AA to host their 2600/5200/7800 libraries.

Expired patents is why for instance we see emulated NES games on Xbox and Playstation systems from companies like Capcom (Such as their Disney Afternoon Collection). The NES hardware isn't protected by patents at this point so it's perfectly legal to recreate it. The hardware is in the public domain now and thus isn't Nintendo property anymore.

What would be frowned upon for an example is if you're posting about getting Dolphin up and running, where to download disc ISO's for it, etc. The GameCube and Wii are still protected by patents, both have an internal operating system that's copyrighted and necessary to run software, and there's hardly anything where homebrew is concerned for the system (so it's a foregone conclusion that you're playing copyrighted software on it, which was likely downloaded and not even personally ripped from a legally owned disc).

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Project Q is more like the Wii U than the Switch. It connects to your PS5 over WiFi but can't do cloud gaming from PS+ and every game you play has to be installed and running off your PS5. The Switch is a dedicated console-on-the-go and the G Cloud is a cloud-streaming device; Q is far more limited though there is the possibility that you can connect remotely to your PS5 if your internet connection is strong enough.

That said, I see the appeal of this. The Switch as a portable gaming device that I play handheld in my home has been great and I can see myself wanting to play a PS5 game without being in front of my PS5. For families with a PS5 in the same room as the family TV, this could be really good for anyone who wants to play something while everyone else watches TV or a movie.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Project Q is more like the Wii U than the Switch. It connects to your PS5 over WiFi but can't do cloud gaming from PS+ and every game you play has to be installed and running off your PS5. The Switch is a dedicated console-on-the-go and the G Cloud is a cloud-streaming device; Q is far more limited though there is the possibility that you can connect remotely to your PS5 if your internet connection is strong enough.

That said, I see the appeal of this. The Switch as a portable gaming device that I play handheld in my home has been great and I can see myself wanting to play a PS5 game without being in front of my PS5. For families with a PS5 in the same room as the family TV, this could be really good for anyone who wants to play something while everyone else watches TV or a movie.
Sure, but I still think it is weird. I loved the WiiU and never utilized the handheld feature other than the initial "try out" stage of owning it. My guess is that the unit is insanely cheap to produce, and they will make a killing selling a couple million of them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So this is a way to play a PS5 in bed at night?

I see the appeal for the hardcore PS5 gamer or the “one TV to rule them all” family household.

Not for me — haven’t gotten my PS5 yet. Am curious how this evolves and whether it becomes a truly portable “PS5 Switch” device in a few years.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don‘t understand the pricing. It costs basically the same as the PS5 but is only a streaming device. Presumably the controller ergonomics and screen are top quality. But priced the same as a Switch but unable to leave the home or be used on an airplane, and making for a $700 to $800 PS5 portable console, seems like a niche product.

But…? Maybe there’s pent up demand. And price will get slashed in a year. And more independent gaming features added. Maybe?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dave - wait, what are you referring to? No pricing for Project Q has been announced.

It's a DualSense controller split in half with a 1080p non-OLED screen stuck in the middle and a barebones CPU with a network adapter. I could see it easily being in the $100-150 price range and Sony still making a nice profit on each unit sold. It wouldn't be able to handle independent gaming functions (it's a barebones product solely for streaming) but maybe in the future it could connect to PS+ and do streaming from Sony's servers instead of just your PS5.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave - wait, what are you referring to? No pricing for Project Q has been announced.

It's a DualSense controller split in half with a 1080p non-OLED screen stuck in the middle and a barebones CPU with a network adapter. I could see it easily being in the $100-150 price range and Sony still making a nice profit on each unit sold. It wouldn't be able to handle independent gaming functions (it's a barebones product solely for streaming) but maybe in the future it could connect to PS+ and do streaming from Sony's servers instead of just your PS5.
My mistake then. I thought I’d seen $300 pricing for it. That must be speculation / guesstimates from early reporting and discussions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If it were $99, that would be a steal: Digital PS5 and Q bundle at same price as disc PS5. And you resolve household fights over the TV or play The Last Of Us in bed.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
As one that used the Wii U gamepad an awful lot for off-screen play, I could see going for this if priced well, it works well (I very much wasn't impressed with PS4 streaming to my PSTV), and if compatibility is there.

If some silliness goes on like games having to be whitelisted (something Vita and PSTV owners should remember with their PSP purchases), then forget it.

I imagine at the very least we'll see some non-gaming things like Blu-Ray video playback be disabled. But if the gaming side isn't crippled, I'm intrigued. I like to fire up a handheld in bed and if I could access my Arcade Archives and Pinball Arcade library, this could be very useful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks