Planning a new Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Daman, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

I already own a Fuji Finepix S3000 and am planning to upgrade to a better camera. I had Nikon 8700 or 8800 in mind and wanted to get a second opinion about them. These are both normal digi cams with 8MP res. Another friend of mine suggests to go with Canon Rebel instead which is a DigiSLR. Im not sure what to do. I want a good camera and also want to make sure the money im spending is worth it. I am getting the 8700 at a good deal at around 500 bucks from a website. Please advice what should i do.
    Thanks!
    Daman

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Daman,

I suggest taking a look at this old thread to get a better sense of whether you should go w/ a Nikon 8700/8800 (or maybe Canon Pro 1 or Minolta A2) or a DSLR like the D-Rebel (or maybe Nikon D70).

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=202880

The thread doesn't make specific mentions of the 8700/8800, IIRC, but they are comparable to the Canon Pro 1 and Minolta A2. If you do stick w/ a superzoom, all-in-one Nikon, go w/ the 8800 instead of the 8700. The image stabilization of the 8800 should be quite useful unless you normally only shoot moving subjects/objects and changing scenes. The Minolta A2 also has image stabilization. And if I were to choose, I'd probably go w/ the Minolta since it has the brighter lens, more wideangle capability, likely better AF/responsiveness/viewfinder/ergonomics, etc. But personally, I much prefer a DSLR like the Nikon D70 instead.

_Man_