What's new

Pioneer VSX-84TXSI vs. Yamaha RX-V2700? (1 Viewer)

atcskyfox

Auditioning
Real Name
Hunter Clark
Looking to get one of the following to use with my Sony 30" HDTV, Direct TV HD-DVR, PS3, Xbox 360 all connected thru HDMI to my TV.

Speakers I have are Klipsch RXV-54 (fronts) RXV-42 (Center & Rears)

Pioneer VSX-84TXSI
Yamaha RX-V2700

Which one to get since I have narrowed down to two?

I understand the Yamaha does not pass OSD thru HDMI so does the Pioneer Elite pass OSD info thru HDMI?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
At 480i, which will cause issues with some displays.

You must also realize the Pioneers have an LFE channel level issue with PCM audio through HDMI. It isn't mixed properly with the other channels' routed bass resulting in anemic sound levels through your subwoofer.

There are mixed signals as to whether or not Pioneer has totally fixed the problem, or if you have to send it in to a service center for repair work. Some repair centers don't even know what's going on.

The only half way decent receiver that seems to have the least issues with HDMI (and other items) is the Denon 2807. Though, it lacks the better DAC's of its upper teir brethren and only has two HDMI inputs.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
I have a pio 84 and it does pass OSD through HDMI with no problem. I do it all the time. The LFE issue is only a problem when watching HD DVD or Blue Ray content. There is a thread on the VS forum and there is a fix for this coming soon. Yamaha makes good equipment. I have a RX v757 in my living room and it does a great job. I think the sound of the 84 is great and there are a lot of fine tuning options. Not saying that it is better than the yamaha, just saying that I like it. Take a trip to Tweeter if you can and try both of them out. Make sure you take you own CD and dvd to test with.

Happy hunting

I'm with Andrew, I have an 84 and have been pretty happy with it in just two short weeks. The 84 has an overwhelming amount of options. I moved from a B&K Ref 20 to the 84. My issue is that it won't drive 4ohm speakers- so I have a $1500 (paid $1350) PrePro. No worries though.

One minor quibbble- the "trap doors" on the Optical inputs are VERY delicate. They break off it you have to pull out an cable. Be very certain before you plug one in. If they break you will need them to keep the cable in tight. The little buggers can get away from ya.

Scott

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

How often will you actually use the OSD once you have everything set up? You could always run a separate video cable to a different TV input, and change to that input when you needed the OSD.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
If he is anything like some of us..probably a lot. I like fiddling around with my setting on the MCACC settings that I do not use that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks