What's new

Pioneer VSX-53TX Receiver (1 Viewer)

David-A

Auditioning
Hello everyone,

I am a returning member of this forum, I have been visiting here since '99 or 2000.

I was one of the unfortunate owners of a Pioneer VSX-26TX receiver with the dreaded "no sound" problem. It was repaired in August of 2000 (solder connections simply resoldered)and everything was fine until the same failure occurred a couple of months ago. In talking with the repair tech, I discovered that Pioneer issued a service bulletin last year describing a retrofit kit to resolve the problem. My problem was that, as of this Saturday, the unit is two years out of warranty. I called Pioneer Customer Service and after complaining that this was a well documented manufacturing defect, I felt they should still be held responsible for it. They issued a letter authorizing only the evaluation of the unit by a repair center. I dropped the unit off a week ago Monday.

This past Monday, I received a call from Pioneer saying that they will authorize a one-time repair of this unit or they will allow me to upgrade to a current model at a discounted price. Well, after giving them several models I would be interested in, they called back with pricing and it was a no-brainer. After waffling back and forth on a VSX-45TX vs a VSX-53TX, I should be receiving my new VSX-53TX with a 2-year warranty in three weeks or less.

I have read all I could find regarding the MCACC feature and that is where my question lies. My speakers are a Polk RM6500 system and per Polk's recommendation, I did not use the LFE output from my VSX-26TX receiver, instead running the front speaker outputs to my sub, then from the sub to the front speakers. I guess that was ok, as I never tried hooking the sub up directly to the LFE output. If I connect my speaker system to the VSX53 the same as I did on the VSX26, any ideas on how that will affect the MCACC calibration process? If I use the LFE output, how would I connect it to my sub? The output from the receiver is single channel while the input to the sub is two channel. Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator
if you hook it up that way (the old way) I would assume the 53tx will just assign a "NO" status to your sub since it is not coming from the LFE output, and just set main L+R to "Large" during MCACC setup. That being said, you will probably still manage crossover points through the sub's electronics, but may sacrifice some of the EQ and fine tuning that the MCACC can do for you.

I would suggest setting it up BOTH ways and see which you like more. I can't imagine why you would NOT want to use the LFE conneciton and have the MCACC do it all for you. There are Y-adapters for dedicated set up like you describe, butperhaps someone else can shed more light on this. I have trouble articulating what I mean and understand at times. I can assure you the results are pretty darn good through auto MCACC with the LFE I/O, and even tweaking for hours with an SPL I couldn't get it as good. Trust the new receiver... it will serve you well.

On another note: Another AWESOME real life encounter with Pioneer (Elite, anyway)customer service. I have heard nothing but great stories about warranty service through them! :emoji_thumbsup:

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Semi-related; but while not saying the discounted price for each if you don't want to, how much of a price difference was there between the 45tx and 53tx? And why did you decide on one over the other if more than price was a factor?

David-A

Auditioning
My price was exactly the same for each, I chose the VSX53 because the RS232 and USB ports were not important to me, the remote is a learning remote albeit it doesn't have the LCD display, but that wasn't important to me either, as far as I could tell, other than those listed, the features are identical, the 53 is this years new model (replacing the 43) and the 45 is last years model (replaced by the 55), and I figured that between the 45 and the 53, the 53 would be more advanced, IF there are any other differences. But I only spent about 4 hours researching without having actually seen either one.

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick reply. As far as owners of the 53tx state, the 53tx IS a 45tx, same exact guts no differences, without those options. The only upgrade the 53tx has is that it is able to output it's OSD thru component video, no upconversion still though. I like you, had no need for the USB and RS232C ports, although I liked the RS232C option on the chance that Pioneer may offer an upgrade via that port. Otherwise I chose the 45tx for it's backlighted remote.

I am glad to hear their customer service was so accomodating!

David-A

Auditioning
After further review, one of the reasons Polk recommends connecting the sub in parallel with the L&R fronts when using small satellite speakers is that on many receivers, there is no LFE output when in the stereo mode, even with the speaker setting set on "Small". I never bothered to confirm whether my 26TX had an LFE output in stereo mode or not. Can someone confirm whether the 53TX does or not?

Hao P

Auditioning
David-A,

Please check your email. I hope you can help me with the "no sound" problem on my 26TX. Thanks in advance.

Hao

Erik Cartman

Auditioning
I believe there is a difference between the 45tx and the 53tx other than the options mentioned: the 45tx has a five band equalizer while the 53tx has a seven. I didn't realize until after I had ordered by 45 or I would have gotten the 53. Shucks.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
What Erik where did you hear that. I've got to put an end to this rumor. First there is no such thing as a 7-band MCACC it doesn't exist secondly the 53TX was supposed to have 9-band MCACC but Pioneer lied to us those bastards (shaking fist) but instead has a 5-band MCACC. Hear that everybody no such thing as 7-band MCACC. All together now; good, now breath.... and exhale.:D

Daniel Smith

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Yep what Dan said. :emoji_thumbsup:
Only differences are that the 53 doesn't have the RS232 port, the USB port, or the backlit remote. The 45 can't do the OSD through Component vid.

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto on both the last two responses! :emoji_thumbsup:

However, you should be able to get LFE output through a stereo analog source by either, trying speakers all to SMALL with sub as YES (Haven't tried but should work) OR, mains to LARGE and sub to PLUS (this does work for me on my 45tx).

Try the plus setting if you already have them to large... it should send a signal to the sub when listening to stereo, although it may not be indicated on the display's speaker diagram.

vince simonetti

Auditioning
I have a VSX6TX which is about 4 years old(2 years out of warranty). It stopped making sound today. What is the "the dreaded "no sound" problem"?

Erik Cartman

Auditioning
Daniel, I think Pioneer is still changing specifications at the last minute--like the fan that isn't in my 45tx--when I first read about the 53tx on the Pioneer website it said seven channel MCACC but you're right, looking back today they have redone the whole Elite product link section and now it is only five band. I guess that's great as now I'm glad I've got the 45tx after all.

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad I got the 45tx this weekend for a low low of $600 (floor model) with full manufactures warranty at the local Home Theater Store. I love this thing, huge improvement over my 6 year old Kenwood.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Erik that's not possible because there is no such thing 7-band MCACC just as there's no 7,000-band MCACC. It's not debatable that's just the way it is kind of like gravity.

here's the direct quote from the PR and you'll notice it doesn't say seven band it says nine band. You'll never find anything that says 7-band MCACC.

Auto Room Tuning
The VSX-55TXi and VSX-53TX receivers provide a refined multi-channel acoustic calibration system (MCACC) for optimum accuracy in multi-channel sound reproduction. The calibration system works by measuring the acoustic characteristics of the listening area and neutralizing the ambient characteristics that can "color" the original source material. First the MCACC uses the microphone provided to check and test ambient noise levels, the microphone, and speaker level. Once the initial set-up calibration is complete the system automatically confirms size of the speakers that are hooked up to the receiver and distance to the listener, then performs a surround analysis. Finally, MCACC checks the channel delay and channel level, before performing the acoustic calibration. During the acoustic calibration process, the speakers will emit a series of pink noise and timing pulses that are received by the microphone and sent to a nine-band digital equalizer for final calibration of up to seven channels. Both receivers provide an advanced MCACC offering all-channel 96/24 analog to digital conversion allowing for manual settings if preferred.
I believe the idea of 7 band MCACC came when some person got the idea that the model # determines the number MCACC bands like the 45TX has 5 bands the 47TX has 7 bands and 49TX has 9 bands. That wrong. Lastly, these numbers were picked for a reason 5-band is one graphic EQ for every 2 octaves while the 9 band is 1 band for every octave and 7 would be some crazy thing who knows that's why it doesn't exist.

Thank you for your time.

Daniel Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks