What's new

Pioneer VP-1000 LaserDisc Shipping Screw? (1 Viewer)

Melanie6045

Auditioning
Real Name
Melanie
Hello, I am new to site,and was wondering if someone might be able to help me or give me some direction
since I am coming up empty with my searches. I recently sold a Pioneer VP-1000 LaserDisc player,and want to make
sure I ship it as protected as possible. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a shipping screw for this model
or if they might know what size screw it would use? I found a site that at one time sold them,but no longer have it available
since 2010.

Any help would be very appreciated!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s a very specific item. It’s not like you can get a replacement anywhere. You really need that exact item.

_vlad

Auditioning
Real Name
Bart
I thought that these screws were not removable from the chassis. They screwed in when needing transport and unscrewed after transport staying loose but being retained in the chassis.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Memory says that Kurtis Bahr (THE Pioneer LD repair and service guys for years) was never especially worried about the screw since packing the player probably was far more important. I've virtually never gotten an undamaged player shipped to me OTHER than the units I sent to/from Kurtis to be fixed after I bought them.

I do know the screw was not a std screw and was designed with only a specific length threaded so it could be overtightened and ruin the transport tracks. After the early 90's they didn't even use them

Somewhere on LDDB forum I ran across a parts numbers, but I'm sure Pioneer likely quit stocking them long ago. I can find Turntable locking screws but I'm fairly sure those are the wrong design and length.

If you could somehow find a scan of the Service Manual for the specific model or even similar generation you might be able to track down a screw of the correct design.

The only LDP I ever had with a screw was the disastrous 3090 which spend 9 months of the 1st 15 in the repair shop and finally Pioneer gave my shop the OK to replace it was the much better 701 (I think it still had a screw, but I just don't remember it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought that these screws were not removable from the chassis. They screwed in when needing transport and unscrewed after transport staying loose but being retained in the chassis.
Some did, but not all. Some could be removed.

Melanie6045

Auditioning
Real Name
Melanie
Memory says that Kurtis Bahr (THE Pioneer LD repair and service guys for years) was never especially worried about the screw since packing the player probably was far more important. I've virtually never gotten an undamaged player shipped to me OTHER than the units I sent to/from Kurtis to be fixed after I bought them.

I do know the screw was not a std screw and was designed with only a specific length threaded so it could be overtightened and ruin the transport tracks. After the early 90's they didn't even use them

Somewhere on LDDB forum I ran across a parts numbers, but I'm sure Pioneer likely quit stocking them long ago. I can find Turntable locking screws but I'm fairly sure those are the wrong design and length.

If you could somehow find a scan of the Service Manual for the specific model or even similar generation you might be able to track down a screw of the correct design.

The only LDP I ever had with a screw was the disastrous 3090 which spend 9 months of the 1st 15 in the repair shop and finally Pioneer gave my shop the OK to replace it was the much better 701 (I think it still had a screw, but I just don't remember it.
Thank you for the reply, the link you provided is how I found this forum. lol I checked,but unfortunately that site no longer sells the part (screw). I plan on packaging it very well with foam,do you think as long as it's packaged well I shouldn't need to worry about having the screw installed?

Melanie6045

Auditioning
Real Name
Melanie
Unfortunately not with this one. The screw would go where the empty hole is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220731-193401~2.png
    Screenshot_20220731-193401~2.png
    33 KB · Views: 71

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for the reply, the link you provided is how I found this forum. lol I checked,but unfortunately that site no longer sells the part (screw). I plan on packaging it very well with foam,do you think as long as it's packaged well I shouldn't need to worry about having the screw installed?

You could try to reach Kurtis directly at [email protected] I haven't contacted him in several years, but I think the email is still active. He was always quite happy to talk players. I don't think he's still active in fixing players but outside possibility he might have some old pieces or knowledge of someone who does or even some advice on secure packing. There is a guy in Michigan with screen name Grasshopper who posted at several LD sites, but I don't know if he ever listed his email publicly -- most of his contacts were via PM at lddb forum.

The LV-1000 is such an old player I don't know if there might be anything special about shipping it. As heavy as the players are and 40 years old now, even if healthily overpacked a legit shipping drop might be problematic with or without the screw intact.

I know when I was shipping things back and forth (maybe 8-10 shipping trips) we just kept re-using the same packaging. The 1st item I bought from him and he initially used a double thickwall heavy-duty box (it was something like 24x24x15) and probably 2 inches of a foam material (a bit firmer than a memory foam mattress topper) on all 4 lateral sides and maybe 3 on the top/bottom -- marked FRAGILE and text/arrows showing to KEEP "THIS SIDE UP" Shipping turning it on the side or worse upside down seems like it would make it far more likely to be damaged.

Melanie6045

Auditioning
Real Name
Melanie
You could try to reach Kurtis directly at [email protected] I haven't contacted him in several years, but I think the email is still active. He was always quite happy to talk players. I don't think he's still active in fixing players but outside possibility he might have some old pieces or knowledge of someone who does or even some advice on secure packing. There is a guy in Michigan with screen name Grasshopper who posted at several LD sites, but I don't know if he ever listed his email publicly -- most of his contacts were via PM at lddb forum.

The LV-1000 is such an old player I don't know if there might be anything special about shipping it. As heavy as the players are and 40 years old now, even if healthily overpacked a legit shipping drop might be problematic with or without the screw intact.

I know when I was shipping things back and forth (maybe 8-10 shipping trips) we just kept re-using the same packaging. The 1st item I bought from him and he initially used a double thickwall heavy-duty box (it was something like 24x24x15) and probably 2 inches of a foam material (a bit firmer than a memory foam mattress topper) on all 4 lateral sides and maybe 3 on the top/bottom -- marked FRAGILE and text/arrows showing to KEEP "THIS SIDE UP" Shipping turning it on the side or worse upside down seems like it would make it far more likely to be damaged.
Thank you for the information. I will try to email him,and see what he thinks or if maybe he has an extra shipping screw laying around. lol

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I am new to site,and was wondering if someone might be able to help me or give me some direction
since I am coming up empty with my searches. I recently sold a Pioneer VP-1000 LaserDisc player,and want to make
sure I ship it as protected as possible. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a shipping screw for this model
or if they might know what size screw it would use? I found a site that at one time sold them,but no longer have it available
since 2010.

Any help would be very appreciated!
I do have the screw, but it is for the Pioneer 3090. I don't know if it's exactly the same or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-03 181846.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-03 181846.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 59

piefurz

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
I'm looking at a Pioneer RP-8210 locally at a thrift shop and it doesn't have the shipping screw. I pointed that out to them. In my research I think I found this model is like the one you have. This machine does work but I haven't talked to the owner to see if it has been shipped without the screw. You could overpack all you want but it would be like overpacking an egg then shaking the container and still breaking the yoke. I looked at a drop-down projection screen about 12 ft wide and the roller was warped so the screen swung back and forth and then banged the opening of the box at the end. I suspect it was shipped without support on the roller and constant banging made it bend. ??? On a train you feel every joint in the track and on a truck ever bump on some without the greatest shock absorbing. I'm supprised to see a current post. The picture one person shows of a screw, it looks like there are shoulders or steps in the shaft that would contact certain parts that need to be locked in place. I'm looking for a program that will actually compile to control via the wired SR jack. I have a remote and tried it on that machine and my CLD-1080 with a TRS cable and neither responded. It does work wireless on the 1080 but not 8210. Good luck in your search. I'll likely not respond but will look around for SR post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks