What's new
World Wide Stereo

Pioneer 703 laserdisc player tech help... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was able to get a used Panasonic D703 laserdisc player. The problem is that when I put a ld or even a cd in. It starts to spin inside then ejects the tray. In the manuel it says in could be moisture. It says to let the machine sit for 1 to 2 hours. I have and it is still doing it. Even with different ld's. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Can it be fixed? And does anyone know of any repair places in the NJ area??

Thanks!!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Take the cover off and close the tray with no disc inside. Lay a sheet of white paper over the top of the unit, and observe [in a darkened room] the presence of a red light spot which will indicate that the laser head assembly is "alive". I forget whether this is a separate LED or visible leakage from the infrared Laser Diode, but it is an observable effect.

For LD player repair on the East Coast, I guess Kurtis Bahr is your man. Unfortunately, unless you paid next to nothing for the player, you're going to find that with the repairs the player gets a lot more expensive. To be honest, I bought my second 704 [the Mitsubishi-nameplate version, actually] from him for less than I spent on the first one, which needed a couple hundred bucks in repairs. A far better deal.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Chris. I actually just emailed Kurtis. He gave me is email address over at the AVS forum. But, I am glad you mentioned him..I wanted to make sure he was legit. I am waiting to hear back from him..I also have a repair place near my house that is pretty good and have been around for years.

greg_t

Screenwriter
For laserdisc on the east coast, I would easily go with Kurtis. He is very good and likely knows much more about laserdisc than the local repair shop. He will get it in peak operating condition for you.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just got my email back from Kurtis. He thinks it could be the "pickup". Which would cost around $200 plus labor. I just got the machine on ebay for $130. Luckily, the guy is very cool about it and will refund me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks