What's new

Pink Floyd (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I would hardly call Floyd stoner music. I've seen the Talking Heads and there were plenty of drugs going around for that show too. I guess they are a stoner group as well
Honestly there have been drugs at most concerts I have attended, and probably most concerts in general (well maybe not Barry Manilow). Trust me Dave, Floyd is stoner music, just look at all the replies here testifying to that fact. Here is a test...if you know anyone who smokes the rastaman way, ask them if they enjoy Floyd. In my experiences, I have yet to run into a stoner (young or old) who didn't like Floyd.

Just because it is "stoner" music doesn't make it bad though. I enjoy Floyd immensely and am not an avid drug user by any stretch of the imagination. When a band crosses into mainstream acceptance they begin to draw fans, beyond their initial loyal followers, who may or may not be aware of what was initially involved with the band's scene. Having never attended a Floyd concert mysely (I am too young), I am only speaking from second hand knowledge, but the people I know who went and are now in their 40s and 50s talk about their experiences at Floyd concerts with reference to their drug use during a specific songs, making the two appear to go hand and hand.

J

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
And for those few who say that the meaning of 'Animals' still eludes them, may I point to Orwell's 'Animal Farm' to help you find your way.:D

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Pink Floyd is my favorite group of all time. I love all aspects of their talent: structure, music, lyrics, and concert performances. In my estimation, the best band ever. My personal favorites are (including post-Waters)

WISH YOU WERE HERE
MEDDLE
THE WALL
THE DIVISION BELL
ATOM HEART MOTHER
DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON

My favorite indavidual songs are

WISH YOU WERE HERE
ECHOES
FEARLESS
POLES APART
ONE OF THESE DAYS
YET ANOTHER MOVIE
HEY YOU
SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND
TAKE IT BACK
ON THE TURNING AWAY

JordanS

Second Unit
If you guys think Pink Floyd is "stoner" music, you obviously haven't a clue to what you are talking about.
www.pinkfloyd-co.com
I think everyone should give a listen to a song called "High Hopes" from their live album, "PULSE." It is simply mind-blowing.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
If you guys think Pink Floyd is "stoner" music, you obviously haven't a clue to what you are talking about.
That is a little harsh Jordan. Floyd started out as a drug band, plain and simple. If you followed Floyd in the early days, being a "stoner" was the rule, not the exception.

As they moved into the mainstream their music and fans did indeed change to a degree. Mainstream popularity means you will gain new fans beyond the initial core following. Floyd is still big with their initial followers as well as their mainstream fans. This says alot about their staying power, and quality of music/message.

J

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
To get back to the original topic, you are right, Floyd is a strange choice for a "pop" band. The only way I can account for their "commercial" success, is that they were growing in popularity (with Dark Side) around the same time that FM radio took off and the DJs wanted some great fidelity music to showcase the new clarity of FM. The more radio friendly Floyd tunes were slipped into the play list and "lo and behold"; I grew up listening to Floyd and didn't even realize that they were anything special till I heard the never ending dullness that is Bob Seger. Then I learned to appreciate the uniqueness of Floyd and not take their conceptual brilliance for granted.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
"Was it the drug's?"
It was the drug's!
You have to know there was a counter-culture for PF & PF was for the counter-culture.
People dug it.
The music, the lyrics, the album art, the concerts, everything about the band.
Cause at the time everything about the band was everything many people felt about their existents on earth. PF was it.
People knew what the band looked like, just the people that knew were not teeny-bopper's ready too rip their clothes off!
They did 'raves' in London in '67. Twenty minute and longer songs with 'everyone' on acid.
They were 'big' before DSotM.
They were 'huge' after DSotM.
DSotM was the most 'entertaining' of PF albums. WYWH, told the story of band founder Syd Barrett. Animals gave some insight to the [especially, corporate] world [ala, Animal Farm, which I believe it was based on], The Wall showed the demons of the Floyd personal at the time [frighting film, and their biggest selling album].
But you could checkout, what their five, six [including soundtracks] album's before DSotM, and still be blown away!
Especially the track; One of these day's I'am going to cut you into little pieces!
Wait till the DVD release of "Live at Pompeii" [this March] to get a behind the scenes look at the band in their 'glory day's'.
But, if you think it's 'weird' that they were big, your right. Or maybe, you just had too be there!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Was first a fan of Echoes, from Meddle.
But got to hear "The World Premiere" of DSotM on KSAN.
No way was it the "TWP", but I am sure it was the first playing of the album on FM in PST.
Laid on my bed in the dark, and the music took me on a trip I have never, and refuse to, get off of.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the Talking Heads and there were plenty of drugs going around for that show too. I guess they are a stoner group as well
The Heads [wait a minute] were not a stoner band in '77.
Punk bands weren't stoner bands. They were 'against' stoned out bliss type bands & music.
But of coarse The Ramones did & sang about drugs, and the Pistols second bass player [no, not baseball, cricket. JJ!] OD'd.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I just purchased "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" and the instrumentals sound like the band went into the studio and traded instruments and each did their own thing, no coherence, very strange. I'll bet they couldn't reproduce an instrumental to have it sound like a former performance. Maybe I just need to listen more.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I find it hard to believe that each member could remember their parts when it sounds so jumbled. Reminds me of Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, where they went into the studio without rehearsal and tried to make the music sound cohesive. I feel Miles succeeded and Floyd failed.

Remember, Just my opinion.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I find it hard to believe that each member could remember their parts when it sounds so jumbled.
Believe it. This material was heavily arranged and NOT improvised. The improvisation came later, when Syd was losing his mind & trying to cross up the band members by constantly changing what he was playing on stage. Or just standing there with his hands limp at his sides playing nothing (their Pat Boone Show appearance).

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Thanks for your replies Larry. I'll give this stuff a few more listens. I'm trying to appreciate their "Sid" stuff.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN could be accuratly called "stoner" music. That was their first album, fronted by Syd Barrett who had a notorious drug problem. David Gilmore was his replacement, and was not known for his partying ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks