Philips 60PP9601 HD inputs dead

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Greg Lovern, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern Agent

We have a Philips 60PP9601 HDTV. It was working fine for years but recently both HD inputs have gone dead -- no picture. It has two HD inputs; component and VGA.

The standard-def inputs are still working, but not well. I would guess the problem with them started at the same time as the HD inputs, but I'm not sure because I rarely used them until now.

One of the SD inputs is S-Video. It has lots of flashing horizontal lines. Also, blues sort of bloom and take over large areas of the screen. Also the color is not right.

Another SD input is composite. That one has much fewer flashing lines, and I haven't seen the blooming blues. But the color is also not right.

Any suggestions? Is it clear from this description what part or parts probably need replacing? Is it possible for me to get and install those parts myself without having to pay for a pro or replace the TV?

Thanks,

Greg

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I just looked, is that thing 4:3?

IF so...it died.

3. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern Agent

It's a rare 4:3 HDTV. 1080i, 720p.

The only difference between it and its sister 16:9 HDTV model 55PP9701 is that it's taller.

Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin look great on that 60" 4:3 HDTV screen.

Greg

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I get it that it was a great set...Emphasis on was. Being a 4:3, it is old enough i seriously doubt there are parts. Even if shared with the 55...

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    From a cost/benefit standpoint (finding parts/ labour/whether necessary to hire someone to do the work for you), like most technology from the last 20 years or so, it is cheaper to replace it than to repair it. It's called "planned obsolescence."