What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture Restored Director's Edition and Six-Movie Collection (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think box 1-4 was proof of concept for Paramount and if it didn’t sell, the UHD releases would have been digital only, as has been the case with some of their other catalog titles. They’ve been burned so many times with fans saying they want a thing and then not buying the thing when it comes out. TNG on Blu, for instance, was always highly requested but when they actually did it, it massively underperformed - some of the seasons sold just a thousand or so copies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As an aside, is there a way that HTF can get "credit" for my purchases through Amazon Canada? Routing through Ron's links and then logging into my Canadian account kills the referral.

Josh, I think it's impossible to do it with a Canadian order.

However, really, thank you for thinking of us when planning to place your order. Appreciated!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The more I think about it, the more horrendously disappointed I am that no version of these releases included the SLV of TMP, which is the thing I want most. I’m really sorry but I’m not in a position to upgrade my entire home setup to 4K, and it would have only cost them another fifty cents a unit to throw in that cut on a regular Blu-ray too.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but the box set of I-VI is 15 discs. 3 discs for TMP, then 2 discs each for II-VI adds up to 13. What is on the other 2 discs?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but the box set of I-VI is 15 discs. 3 discs for TMP, then 2 discs each for II-VI adds up to 13. What is on the other 2 discs?
Is it 5 discs for TMP?
1 & 2: Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition – Ultra HD & Blu-ray
3: Additional Blu-ray with bonus content
4 & 5: Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Theatrical Cut) – Ultra HD & Blu-ray

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'll probably avoid the box o' junk and go for the 6 movie edition. The only tidbit I like from the STTMP overlong TV version is when Kirk tells Dr. McCoy to shut up. That line always cracked me up. Robert Wise reportedly hated it.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm gonna go for the Box O Junk because it's classic damned Star Trek and Paramount has my money when it comes to TOS and its films. After that, I'll get the individual volumes on 4k because I hate the box set cover art. I prefer the movie posters.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I will probably do some due diligence on a 4K disc player to see if it’s a viable option for me, to view the UHD version of the Special Longer Version - but there’s something truly absurd about buying a 4K player to downconvert to HD to view something that was only ever intended to be seen in standard definition.

I could be misinformed but everything I’ve read about downconverting UHD to view on an HD screen warns of the perils of converting the wider UHD color gamut to the standard HD color gamut and I just don’t want to spend hundreds on a player to wind up with something that looks terrible on my setup.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I will probably do some due diligence on a 4K disc player to see if it’s a viable option for me, to view the UHD version of the Special Longer Version - but there’s something truly absurd about buying a 4K player to downconvert to HD to view something that was only ever intended to be seen in standard definition.

I could be misinformed but everything I’ve read about downconverting UHD to view on an HD screen warns of the perils of converting the wider UHD color gamut to the standard HD color gamut and I just don’t want to spend hundreds on a player to wind up with something that looks terrible on my setup.
A few years ago, I bought the most basic Panasonic player to watch 4K discs on my plasma. It did a very good job of converting HDR to SDR with the default settings, but it also provides some user settings to tweak the image to your liking. When comparing 4K discs directly to their blu-ray counterparts, I'd give a very slight edge to the blu-ray, but there's very little difference.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A few years ago, I bought the most basic Panasonic player to watch 4K discs on my plasma. It did a very good job of converting HDR to SDR with the default settings, but it also provides some user settings to tweak the image to your liking. When comparing 4K discs directly to their blu-ray counterparts, I'd give a very slight edge to the blu-ray, but there's very little difference.

That’s great to know. I might PM you closer to release date with some questions about your Panny :)

LCD22

Screenwriter
Are they keeping the Star Trek: The Journey to the Silver Screen documentary from the 2016 50th Anniversary set exclusive to this bonus disc?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I got suckered into buying the first 4K set, and I should have known better. Thanks, Paramount.

Yeah, think I might just get/add the standalone Undiscovered Country 4K and call it a day. Not sure I feel like getting the 6-movie set and trying to get rid of my 4-movie set (to recoup some $) -- probably next to impossible to do the latter unless I'm just giving it away for free/charity or something perhaps. And I do have the iTunes digital for all of them, which should likely cover Final Frontier in 4K whenever that upgrades -- and even if it never upgrades, I'm sure I'll make do...

That might gnaw at my slightly OCD/completist side some, but ah well, my (usually stronger) budget-conscious side probably wins out... unless there's some major bargain to be had perhaps, LOL... :lol:

_Man_

Last edited:

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Eh I know me. I’ll buy both sets. I’m such a sucker for all things Trek. :D

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
1657149248649.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks