What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Person of Interest - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If they ever teach a class called "How to Write a Season Finale" they should use this finale as the textbook case. It was perfect on every level; the PoI of the week provided one of the tensest hours of television I've seen this year, and then just when you think you know how things will play out, the show completely pulls the rug out from under you. And then when you don't see where they'll go from there, the show pulls the rug out from under you again.
Wow. That last scene will go down in TV history.
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. " I can't wait to see what voice is on the other side of that pay phone.
The only reason I guessed that the psychiatrist was Root is because they cast Amy Acker, and they wouldn't have wasted her casting on a standard victim/perp of the week.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'd be surprised if they made 'the Machine' self aware to the point to respond to Reese's statement. My best guess is that there is another individual who has some relationship with the Machine in the show's universe who called Reese on the pay phone. (Although that seems wrong when I read the sentence. ???)
I have to admit - the first thing that flashed into my mind was the following moment from William Gibson's Neuromancer in which an A.I. (Wintermute) first contacts the protagonist of the novel:
Automatically, he picked it up.
"Yeah'?"
Faint harmonics. tiny inaudible voices rattling across some orbital link, and then a sound like wind.
"Hello, Case."
A fifty-lirasi coin fell from his hand, bounced, and rolled out of sight across Hilton carpeting.
"Wintermute, Case. It's time we talk."
It was a chip voice.
"Don't you want to talk, Case?"
He hung up.
On his way back to the lobby. his cigarettes forgotten, he had to walk the length of the ranked phones. Each rang in turn, but only once, as he passed.
Great season finale that layered tension upon tension.
- Walter.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Fantastic finale.
And luckily, we will find out what happens next (as opposed to a few other shows).
Everything worked. Loved the chasing me/chasing you exchanges.
David

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess she was bad too, but I did so because of a look she gave earlier to John. Something about her didn't click with me and then I knew what was going to happen in the car.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/180#post_3926850
I'd be surprised if they made 'the Machine' self aware to the point to respond to Reese's statement. My best guess is that there is another individual who has some relationship with the Machine in the show's universe who called Reese on the pay phone. (Although that seems wrong when I read the sentence. ???)
I have to admit - the first thing that flashed into my mind was the following moment from William Gibson's Neuromancer in which an A.I. (Wintermute) first contacts the protagonist of the novel:
Automatically, he picked it up.
"Yeah'?"
Faint harmonics. tiny inaudible voices rattling across some orbital link, and then a sound like wind.
"Hello, Case."
A fifty-lirasi coin fell from his hand, bounced, and rolled out of sight across Hilton carpeting.
"Wintermute, Case. It's time we talk."
It was a chip voice.
"Don't you want to talk, Case?"
He hung up.
On his way back to the lobby. his cigarettes forgotten, he had to walk the length of the ranked phones. Each rang in turn, but only once, as he passed.

Great season finale that layered tension upon tension.
- Walter.
I remembered what Harold told Reese about a contigency plan if anything happen to him. I think it just kicked in.

Crawdaddy

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the person on the phone is Brett Cullen's character. We all assume he is dead. But, to the world. Finch is also dead. I do like that both Carter & Fusco now know they both work with them. Was getting a bit ridiculous.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by todd s /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/180#post_3926906
I wonder if the person on the phone is Brett Cullen's character. We all assume he is dead. But, to the world. Finch is also dead. I do like that both Carter & Fusco now know they both work with them. Was getting a bit ridiculous.

That thought crossed my mind last night.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I do like that both Carter & Fusco now know they both work with them.
Agreed; but I did like Reese's explanation for why he kept them in the dark though; recounting his history with each of them.
I hadn't considered Nathan (Brett Cullen) as the individual on the other end of the line, but that would make sense.
( I have always assumed that Nathan died in whatever event injured Harold; but maybe not.)
- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Could not have been more pleased with the season finale. Suspense was cranked up to the breaking point, and there were surprises that didn't feel like they came out of left field. I think this show has been the most surprising quality addition to network TV this season, and the writing staff is entirely to be praised for keeping things fresh and interesting all season long.

CBS now has two of the best drama series on all of television: The Good Wife and Person of Interest.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Finally got around to watching the finale, and I have to agree that it was excellent.
It's also a little amusing to see how lukewarm I was on this thread after the first episode, but after watching the whole first season I'd say it probably ended up being one of my favorite new network shows.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Acker played yer average monster of the week on Grimm, so that wasn't a clue for me. Good to see a Dallas girl doing well for herself.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One thing I like is that Reese and Finch each have their own nemesis, tailored toward their own personalities. Elias and Root are both intellectual villains, but Elias works on the streets like Reese and operates in the wider realm of crime and punishment. Root likes to hide behind a computer screen, like Finch, and her business concerns are far more esoteric and murky.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
One problem I had was why did Reese have to stay behind for the shootout with HR? Why couldn't he go with the "doctor" to meet Finch? Seemed like a major writing cheat to me and distracted me from the rest of the episode. Overall I enjoyed it though.

Also, I was surprised to see on here that it was the season finale. My recording actually said "Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode" but the recording cut out before I got to see if they showed any.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by ScottH /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/180#post_3927464
One problem I had was why did Reese have to stay behind for the shootout with HR? Why couldn't he go with the "doctor" to meet Finch? Seemed like a major writing cheat to me and distracted me from the rest of the episode. Overall I enjoyed it though.

Also, I was surprised to see on here that it was the season finale. My recording actually said "Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode" but the recording cut out before I got to see if they showed any.
Because he had no car and he had to keep them from following her in the tunnel.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/180#post_3927465
Because he had no car and he had to keep them from following her in the tunnel.

Yeah I considered that but they had time. He could have went with her and fended them off if they got closer. That was the point when I knew she wasn't who we thought she was...she went very willingly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by ScottH /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/180#post_3927469

Yeah I considered that but they had time. He could have went with her and fended them off if they got closer. That was the point when I knew she wasn't who we thought she was...she went very willingly.

Had time? He was in a firefight within seconds of sending her down there. As to going willingly, wouldn't most people do the same? Anyhow, I figured her out before that scene as my red flag indicator was going off earlier. It was just something about her and the way she was looking at him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One thing that did bother me is why a 5M contract to hit her? For a nonfamous person without a security detail that seems like a lot of money for a simple murder for hire which was another red flag that went up the pole for me.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/180#post_3927473

Had time? He was in a firefight within seconds of sending her down there. As to going willingly, wouldn't most people do the same? Anyhow, I figured her out before that scene as my red flag indicator was going off earlier. It was just something about her and the way she was looking at him.

He had plenty of time to at least go down the ladder with her and at that point he didn't know exactly how far behind they were.

I would think most people in that situation would have wanted to stay as close to badass man in suit as possible. I know I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks