What's new

Pennyworth (Epix Series) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone watched this show? It just completed its second season, and the word is that it will move to HBO MAX for its third.

I've only seen the first season, on blu-ray; I confess I have never heard of Epix. The last thing I thought I needed was another show from a DC property, let alone one created by Bruno Heller, whose Gotham left me less than impressed. But I was sucked in by the time period (vaguely late 1950s to mid-1960s) and the very stylish music and opening titles.

The show is about Alfred Pennyworth - eventually to become Bruce Wayne's butler that we know so well - after his stint in the British army and as a British spy. It takes place in and around London, and involves him meeting Thomas Wayne and Martha Kane (who are not yet married). I find the cast to be excellent, and the stories to be very intriguing. They've obviously patterned Alfred after Michael Caine's version (the accent is very similar) and a bit after Sean Pertwee's (from Gotham). (This is not Jeremy Irons, Michael Gough or Alan Napier.) Jack Bannon may seem too young to have served in WWII, but that doesn't matter.

Heller loves the dark stuff, and he went overboard in Gotham, which should have been a Prince of the City-type show about Jim Gordon's one good cop in a corrupt city but instead became a Lovecraftian nightmare of horrors. Pennyworth is a bit more James Bond but still has plenty of horror too, and the violence (as well as the language) can be very graphic. As he often does, I think Heller goes too far. But the show is a lot more gripping than Gotham ever was; the characters feel more real and the stakes are more emotional. The stakes are also political, as we see the modern world reflected in two groups' struggles for power.

This is a very fine show that will hopefully gain a bigger audience if/when it comes to HBO. It's worth a look.

(Has anyone heard of season 2 coming to blu-ray? Season 1 came out about a year ago.)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Catching up with season 2, and I have to say… This is best show yet produced in the DC universe. It’s just great.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Season 3 started today, with three episodes dropping. First one is as gripping and as funny as ever.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone else caught up with season 3? It’s on HBO MAX now, and the latest season was a hoot, and pretty much mandates a season 4. Really fun show.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The show has been canceled by HBO MAX, which is a real shame, especially considering that season 3 ended on a massive cliffhanger. I hope they get some way to conclude it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Been plowing through the "Complete Series" BD set and am early in S3.

Curious about how/when Thomas became a doctor. Did they explain that he had been to med school in Seasons One and/or Two and I missed it? Or was there an explanation that he went between S2 and S3 and I missed it too?

Or did they NEVER explain how a CIA agent became a doctor?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’m pretty sure he was a doctor from the beginning of the series, but it could have happened in one of the series’ time jumps. I believe there is a big gap between seasons 2 and 3.

I enjoyed that series a lot, and I’m sorry there won’t be a season 4.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I’m pretty sure he was a doctor from the beginning of the series, but it could have happened in one of the series’ time jumps. I believe there is a big gap between seasons 2 and 3.

I enjoyed that series a lot, and I’m sorry there won’t be a season 4.

S3 is supposed to be about 5 years after S2.

I don't recall Thomas presented as anything other than a CIA agent in S1 and S2, but I've plowed through 'em quickly enough that I wondered if I missed something.

Anyway, there's space for him to have gone to med school between S2 and S3, but if so, I've not found a discussion of this through 2 S3 episodes.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Updating myself: Thomas's sister makes a crack about how Thomas is a doctor now later in S3 but there's still no explanation of how he got there.

Her remark implies to me that he wasn't a man with medical training in the time span covered in S1/S2, though.

Perhaps this means Thomas wasn't actually a doctor and his status as a physician was just part of his CIA cover?

If so, the show never explored that.

And I'm not surprised given what a mess Season 3 is.

I really liked Seasons 1 and 2 but S3 is a confused muddle that doesn't know where it wants to go.

Felt like they made it up as they went along.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks