What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

PENNIES FROM HEAVEN [1981] (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I just finished watching this work of art on dvd again. All I can say is this transfer looks like one of the worse VHS tapes. This film deserves better.The great work of Gordon Willis is almost ruined by this transfer. Would someone PLEASE release this on bluray..

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did see it in the theater, but I don't remember being bowled over by the looks of it there either. Seems to me the real-life scenes always had slightly orangy skin tones and looked drab. I just got the DVD a couple of months ago after years of just owning the laserdisc, and I wasn't nearly as disappointed as you are with the transfer.

The movie has never been popular, but I wonder if WA would consider it for Blu-ray.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I really like the movie, but can't say I find the picture on the DVD that bad. Only the first big production number seems to really suffer. It was sort of the look it had in the theatre. (Mind you I only have a 42 inch set.)A Blu-ray would be great, but it is a very niche film since a lot of people find it too depressing.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
GlennF said:
A Blu-ray would be great, but it is a very niche film since a lot of people find it too depressing.
I always say it's a better film to remember than to experience :)

That being said, I would STILL probably buy a blu-ray of it (I'm eternally optimistic!)

I didn't think the DVD looked so bad either but I haven't played it in awhile so maybe I'll give it a spin over the weekend (if you don't hear from me come Monday, please somebody feed my cats!)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
First off, the blacks levels are terrible.I accept grain but there are times when it looked like it was shot in 16mm. [look at the shots of the car going down the road against a blue sky] Filtering is something else I accept, but there were times I thought I needed an eye exam. Its been quite a while since I have watched anything on dvd, so maybe I am just spoiled by bluray.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Powell&Pressburger said:
Always wanted to see this film and a proper presentation on BLU would be a worthy blind buy from myself. A perfect WA title.
I think I speak for many when I assure you to rent it first. You will know why when you see it. :huh:

(Let's just say,
it was released during December of 1981, which some critics say went down in history as The Most Depressing Christmas Movie Season of our generation:
Ragtime, Reds, Ghost Story...they all PALED in comparison.)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It is certainly not an "up" movie. But some of the musical numbers are stunning -- beautifully and imaginatively choreographed, costumed, and filmed. The title number, the little kids dancing on their school desks, and several others are alone worth the price of admission. I never saw it theatrically. My first viewings were on small t.v.'s, and it was still an exhilarating experience. I would be delighted by a Blu-ray release.

The dramatic story is somewhat clumsy and ends badly for some characters, so no, it would not have made good fodder for the Christmas crowd. And I guess I would call it a genuine musical, even though actors are all lip-syncing to popular songs of the time period (the depression, which makes the fact that it is a depressing movie pretty appropriate, without all the CINDERELLA MAN kinds of last-minute reprieves from poverty, which rarely happened in real life). The songs quite handily reflect the emotions the characters on screen are feeling. Don't be discouraged by those who tell you to pass this by...you might well find it to be memorable and occasionally great, as I do.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Dick said:
It is certainly not an "up" movie. But some of the musical numbers are stunning -- beautifully and imaginatively choreographed, costumed, and filmed. The title number, the little kids dancing on their school desks, and several others are alone worth the price of admission. I never saw it theatrically. My first viewings were on small t.v.'s, and it was still an exhilarating experience. I would be delighted by a Blu-ray release.

The dramatic story is somewhat clumsy and ends badly for some characters, so no, it would not have made good fodder for the Christmas crowd. And I guess I would call it a genuine musical, even though actors are all lip-syncing to popular songs of the time period (the depression, which makes the fact that it is a depressing movie pretty appropriate, without all the CINDERELLA MAN kinds of last-minute reprieves from poverty, which rarely happened in real life). The songs quite handily reflect the emotions the characters on screen are feeling. Don't be discouraged by those who tell you to pass this by...you might well find it to be memorable and occasionally great, as I do.
The musical numbers are good--at least for the pre-VHS/cable era, when we didn't know our old movies, and thought Old Musicals were all one big Fred Astaire/Esther Williams number directed by Busby Berkley--but Dennis Potter's British-deconstructive purpose was to tell how we were all reality-fleeing fools in that 30's Depression for dreaming of toe-tapping happiness, and that there were Dark Undercurrents under all those happy lyrics. (Again, an RKO Fred & Ginger myth believed by people who never actually sat down and watched gritty, street-smart pre-code-Warner "42nd St." or "Golddiggers of '33", where the Depression, naughty thrills, and unemployed WWI vets were still very real and sung about.)
And which, by putting the audience in the same situation, means the movie almost arrogantly spits on the audience for wanting some light relief moments with its non-stop "realistic" tragedy. Yeah, back at'cha, pal. :angry:
Oh, the sad 80's times we had back before Chicago fixed movie musicals...

For a bit of nostalgic embarrassment, it was Steve Martin's first lead role after "The Jerk" (and before he also wore a 30's suit well in "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid"), and confused critics' one single scapegoat for why the movie didn't do well was "Oh, look, the Wild and Crazy Guy's trying to do a dramatic role!"
Oh, the very idea. :rolleyes:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I saw this in the theater 33 years ago. I was stunned, visually and emotionally. Spectacular and sad movie. I don't think it should be forgotten and lost....

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
It does contains what I think is the second greatest Christopher Walken scene in any movie, after his "Pulp Fiction" scene. Some days I reverse that order in favour of the one I've seen most recently.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
You can rent this in HD from the usual online sources if you're curious about seeing this film.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Yes, the musical numbers really make this film. The Walken routine in the bar is brilliant. And the Vernel Bagneris dance to the title song is unforgettable. This deserves a bluray release, for sure.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I knew Walken was a musical performer since I purchased an original cast recording of Best Foot Forward, where he played a minor part (as a young cadet). However, his song-and-dance number in Pennies from Heaven was a real revelation as to his versatility as an actor and performer. Then I had the pleasure of seeing him live on B'way in the excellent, short-lived and, alas, unrecorded version of Joyce's The Dead. As a lagniappe, Marni Nixon was also on the show.
Pennies from Heaven may be depressing, but it is also an excellent film. I saw it during its original release, and I agree that it would make a splendid BD.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Is there any chance Warner Archive will ever come out with a Blu-ray release of this? It strikes me as a perfect candidate for their niche film releasing structure. It may be a flawed movie but it is still deserving of better treatment than it has so far received on home video.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Is there any chance Warner Archive will ever come out with a Blu-ray release of this? It strikes me as a perfect candidate for their niche film releasing structure.

There's always a chance that Warner Archive, at any random time, will release any film that they control. That's the way the Archive works - one simply cannot predict what they will or will not release, and when they will release it. So, it could be on their next list of releases, or it may never see the light of day in our lifetimes.

I agree that Pennies From Heaven does seem like the type of film (or rather, one of the types of film) they release - a film from the last few decades that was not a big hit but has a niche following, similar to, say, Quick Change or Pump Up The Volume.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
In case anybody doesn't know that this film is a feeble remake of a marvellous tv series I'll mention it now.

If that is available you'll find it infinitely preferable.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Never underestimate the genius of the late Dennis Potter. However, this "feeble remake" does boast a killer Bob Peak poster.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sp2024
Recent bookmarks