What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Parenthood - Season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A long time ago, I speculated that Corey would discover that the shoe company "got weird" at the same time that Adam joined the company. I thought, at least to myself, that Adam would be fired because of that.

I remain convinced the possible storyline was in the writers' heads. The matter of the company getting weird around '99 was mentioned too many times by Corey for it to be wholly throwaway. But it was ultimately dropped; the issue of the shoe's loss of coolness never explained. Instead, they wrote in Adam digging his own grave. He didn't fit the new culture, pushed too hard (in part because of family stress) and got himself booted.

That's an interesting detail. Because in my expected storyline, the implication would have been that Adam's was actually part of the core problem; he's long-term involvement helped destroy the company. Had he absorbed that, it would have shattered his self-image. Instead, it plays out that primarily, Gordon was a lousy, skeezy owner / boss and Adam did the best he could to keep a sinking ship afloat. And while he's not cool or flexible enough to work for a hipster stoner dotcom zillionaire. Adam's not intrinsically dangerous to a company.

To me, it reveals something about the show's creators and on-the-fly decision about who Adam is, was, and will be as a person. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter C

Having watched this show online, I did not see any previews, but for some reason, I saw the car crash coming, even though a part of me was thinking... Parenthood was not that type of show.

Interesting observation about the crash, Walter.

I've been silent since the finale as I wanted to re-watch it before commenting. I've been mixed on the show this season (as you must know from reading the thread) after being unabashedly enthusiastic during season one. The finale still resides on my DVR.

But I suppose your comment on the crash intrigues me most because--even without the crash being forecast (ruined) for you through an unspoilerized upcoming episode tease--you sensed it coming. Do you suppose that was because the writers/producers have been fairly economical with the use of scenes in moving the plot forward and just the idea of putting the viewer inside the car with Amber and the boy made it obvious what was about to happen? It would make sense to me and would serve, for me, as an indicator of why I believe the show's quality has suffered a sophomore slump.

As I have put distance between myself and the finale, I find I keep remembering those scenes which frustrated me most (the crash, the hospital gathering of family, the sibling gathering at Crosby's new house, the party sequence when Sarah gets the producer to commit to reading her script, the lack of self-guilt on the part of Adam & Kristina in terms of facilitating their 16-year old's sex life) rather than those which moved me.

I am determined to give it another watch so I can sort out my feelings on how things ended (it's kinda sad that I feel strongly enough to want to do this) but I fear that I will only become aggravated again by those instances in which I feel the show came up short.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

just the idea of putting the viewer inside the car with Amber and the boy made it obvious what was about to happen?

Basically that, and the fact the episode was about to end with both of them driving and smoking while driving. I just figure, something bad is gonna happen. I'll have to remember not to watch any previews of episodes from this point on, to avoid being spoiled.

I can also believe Amber's rapid downward spiral, as it is very easy to lose self-control, having been through some myself. The feeling is basically not caring anymore, and trying very hard to forgot our sorrows.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It sucks with so many middling rating shows, seeing them in 1080i on broadcast and knowing you'll probably never see them looking that good again.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Adam Lenhardt said:
It sucks with so many middling rating shows, seeing them in 1080i on broadcast and knowing you'll probably never see them looking that good again.
This is why having an infinite DVR matters. No way I'll give up my hd recordings for a DVD only release. :(

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I understand the latest Motorola box Verizon provides can take an addon HD, but I haven't looked into it too deeply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks