What's new

Paramount: Wings (1927)? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Any plans to release the silent classic, Wings on DVD?

If Paramount released this, it would be the first silent released to DVD by a major studio (the Chaplins don't really count since Image handled them.)

Also, a digitally recorded score was made, so it would be nice to have it in PCM stereo.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I would buy this. Paramount would also be doing fans of the silent cinema a favor by releasing the original 1925 version of BEN HUR, Von Stroheim's THE WEDDING MARCH(1927), and DeMille's original 1923 version of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.
Edit: Whoops, MGM owns the 1925 BEN HUR! Well, MGM should release that and Paramount should release these other titles.;)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
One more edit, Larry:

I think Warner owns the silent "Ben-Hur" as well. Don't quote me on that, I might be wrong.

Sincerely,

John "Yeah, release 'Wings'. I haven't seen it, but it's film history as the first movie to win the Academy Award for Best Picture" Kilduff

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I think Warner owns the silent "Ben-Hur" as well. Don't quote me on that, I might be wrong.
Whoops...I'm wrong again! I was confused because my VHS copy of the silent BEN HUR was released by MGM/UA, but(unfortunately for movie lovers) the Turner library is now in the hands of Warner. So it'll probably be years before we see this on DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I believe WINGS is now part of the Universal library, as are many pre-1940 Paramount titles.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Paramount, for some reason, kept their silents.

The current VHS tapes for Wings and most of the other Paramount silents are on Paramount home video.

Kino released "It" on DVD, but I think it's because it was in the public domain.

Also...about Ben-Hur. WB just needs to re-transfer the film for DVD. The film was restored about 10 years ago (By Kevin Brownlow, even!) and already has a digitally recorded score by Carl Davis. It's sad they didn't release it at the same time as the 1959 version...unless they're planning to do a wave of silent film on DVD soon. (I'd gladly buy a box set of 8-10 MGM Silents!)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Paramount, we would very much like Wings (and A Kiss for Cinderella, while you're at it). PLEASE!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks