What's new

Paramount - DVD Requests - part 2 (1 Viewer)

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
There really isn't an intelligent way to respond to so many requests. I just hate threads with too many pages... Yes we do listen, but usually it comes down to these factors:

(1) has it ever been transferred to a video format? If not, then there's an expense that in itself can wipe out revenues from sales. Truly, the sales of old catalog titles frequently do not cover their costs, especially if there's a lot of clean-up involved.
(2) is it cleared - i.e. do we own it and is the music (in particular) cleared? This too in itself can wipe out revenues. It is no simple thing -- even if we find we do have the rights, records and source materials may no longer exist or we never took delivery of them in the first place.

Some of the titles mentioned above are in the pipeline for 04 and 05 and I will drop a hint of two from time to time.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Apocalypse Now re-issue with the vast deleted footage from 5.5 hour workprint and hearts of darkness doc.
I am anxiously awaiting an Apocalypse Now special edition also. It would be great to finally get Hearts of Darkness on DVD (either separately or in a special edition) so I can finally retire my OOP laserdisc. Unfortunately I have heard rumors that Coppola doesn't want Hearts of Darkness on DVD. Perhaps he would at least be willing to give us a commentary track and allow the additional deleted scenes from the workprint to be available.

I am aware that Paramount usually does not release multi-disc sets, but this is one title that really deserves it. Even though I was disappointed with the lack of extras on the Redux release, I was extremely pleased with the video transfer and the audio quality. I also appreciated the way they were able to fit the entire 3 1/2 hour film on one disc while maintaining excellent audio and video quality.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. Blythe,

Here's hoping one of those 'hints' will be FOUR FLIES! I don't personally care if I have to wait 5 years to buy the dvd or if it costs $10. or $50. I'd just like to know that it's still in the pipeline. :)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
(1) has it ever been transferred to a video format? If not, then there's an expense that in itself can wipe out revenues from sales. Truly, the sales of old catalog titles frequently do not cover their costs, especially if there's a lot of clean-up involved.
(2) is it cleared - i.e. do we own it and is the music (in particular) cleared? This too in itself can wipe out revenues. It is no simple thing -- even if we find we do have the rights, records and source materials may no longer exist or we never took delivery of them in the first place
This is somewhat discouraging info for those of us who like "old" catalog titles, especially titles that are not well know.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Jeff you are not alone and I was thinking the exact thing.

Basically I was taking the statement as meaning that as long as they know that they will get something in return, so be it and you will get your pet project released. If there isn't something in it for them, you are not going to see it come from Paramount.

Please keep in mind as well that I know that it takes money to get these DVD's out with all the work that goes into them. It is a sad statement though when art is continueing to suffer based on the money that it will bring the studio.

Again, it is with this way of thinking about your product Paramount, that if you aren't going to release it because there isn't enough in it for you, give the film to a company that will. Just because you see little motivation in the product doesn't mean the public matches your sentiment.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
if you aren't going to release it because there isn't enough in it for you, give the film to a company that will. Just because you see little motivation in the product doesn't mean the public matches your sentiment
I wish there were more of this "farming out" done with supposedly unprofitable titles. After all the company that "farms out" the product will get their cut as long as they do the contract correctly. Just letting a title sit in the vault forevermore makes no sense to me since it is EARNING Zero $$$$$$.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thank you for Sunset Boulevard. Wonderful DVD Paramount!!!

I would like to see Wings on DVD as well.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
not a specific title request, but more a general "begging" type request. please, please, please let's bring an end to bi-lingual packaging on your dvds. i believe warner, fox, columbia ... provide seperate versions for quebec, how about adding paramount to that list ? or an english only cover on the flip side ? surely there's a better alternative to keep everyone happy.

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
My requests haven't been mentioned, so I've concluded there's little chance of their release, from a profit standpoint; HOWEVER.........

1.Buccaneer, The
2.Last Outpost, The
3.Pony Express
4.Villa Rides!

I'm aware that #2 has been released on DVD under it's alternate title of "Cavalry Charge" by a contract co., however the quality's far below Paramount standards.

Bob Engleman

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
Martin,
Both movies I've been waiting for from Paramount have been released in VHS format. Can't answer if there is any music rights conflicts, but wouldn't think so since neither is a musical.
ENCNANTED APRIL (1992)
SOME KIND OF HERO (1982)
Would love to hear word on either of these.

Matt-Brooks

Agent
The only dvd I want is a Titanic 16:9!!!
I don't care about extra's, just a 16:9 version on a single disc! (Like LOTR).
But it's just not up to paramount, fox have it outside of USA. Most (if not all) of the Paramount titles are 16:9 in R4, but are barebones.

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
Ah well, I'll chime in too...

I'm not even 100% sure this is a Paramount title, but what about Fat Man and Little Boy (Newman)?

Anyhow, just my $0.02...thanks for listening.

-Ross

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Let me chime in by saying that I have been advocating a new 16x9 SE version of Deep Impact for quite some time. Sadly, I have had to bundle National Geographic's Asteroids: Deadly Impact documentary of Earth collisions together with my copy of Deep Impact to create a slightly more comprehensive package.

If you ever re-release this film, please do it right with a new 16x9 transfer and a second disk of extras with the making of features showing how the movie was made but also tie in the connection to real life events. A documentary about collisions of the past (including the E.L.E. 65 million years ago) near Earth misses occurring today, and the impending catastrophe that is waiting to happen in the future would be a nice addition to this set.

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that a lot of classic Paramount product is making its way to DVD this year. Most of this is being released with no extras. My credo with DVDs is I don't ask for much, at least if it included a theatrical trailer rather than a video trailer, the DVD experience would be worth owning rather than renting.

I bought the Peter Bogdanovich film "Targets" and was very impressed by the 15 minute introduction documentary but was sadly disappointed to see evidence of a trailer of this film, but no inclusion of it on DVD. Coincidentally, trailers for both Paper Moon and Rosemary's Baby have made their way onto the airwaves of Turner Classic Movies but not on their respected DVDs. This was a trend last year with your music titles (Flashdance, Footloose, Urban Cowboy) and instead of treating them as worthy buys, they were treated as good rentals and nothing more.

Here's an idea. What I would like to propose, and all the Home Theater Forum can respond to this idea if they wish, is that Paramount have a proof of purchase deal or one similar to that linked to a chain in which if you buy 5 Paramount DVDs or more and you send in the proof of purchase along with the receipt, you will receive by mail a DVD full of the trailers that have not been included on the DVDs released in that year ,say for example 2003, along with upcoming trailers to look forward to of that year and future.

If you can't include it on the DVD, at least give us a bonus for buying your product to show that it won't go overlooked for all trailerphiles and cinephiles and film buffs alike.

Thank you

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Great news about The President's Analyst but too bad we don't have James Coburn around for a commenraty track. I believe it was one of his favorite films.

I'd also like to second Fear Is The Key. It was a highly underated film of the 1970's and I'm afraid the tape I made off TV in 1979 has disintergrated.

Also, is there any chance the pilot for the 1973 aborted TV series version Catch-22 starring Richard Dreyfuss as Yosarian is in the vaults?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks