What's new

Paramount Announces Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection Fall 2012 (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I tried watching Temple again and after about the 4th whiny ass screaming by Kate Capshaw, which only 15 minutes in, I had to shut it off.

She really ruined the movie.
I think Capshaw was only doing what was being asked of her. Clearly, they wanted her to be the anti-Marion, a girly-girl damsel in distress who needs constant rescuing, and they took it too far. The character may be annoying, but I don't think it's fair to place the blame on Capshaw - it's down to the script and direction.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree that Capshaw's completely annoying character is the worst thing about Temple of Doom, and I also agree that it's not her fault. She was giving Spielberg exactly what he was asking for.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Interestingly enough I've never bothered to upgrade my 2004 DVD set. The blu-ray is one of those sets that I'm always saying to myself, "I'll get it when it goes on a big sale." One of these days I guess..... I did pick up the blu for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull from a thrift store for two dollars. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I happen to like the film quite a bit. I would rank it third overall (so behind Raiders and Last Crusade but long ahead of Temple of Doom).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Interestingly enough I've never bothered to upgrade my 2004 DVD set. The blu-ray is one of those sets that I'm always saying to myself, "I'll get it when it goes on a big sale."

Me too. And then when it does go on sale, I've inevitably just spent a lot of money on some other discs and can't get it right then. One day...

The DVDs look pretty good upscaled though, relatively speaking.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Capshaw was only doing what was being asked of her. Clearly, they wanted her to be the anti-Marion, a girly-girl damsel in distress who needs constant rescuing, and they took it too far. The character may be annoying, but I don't think it's fair to place the blame on Capshaw - it's down to the script and direction.

The funny thing is that despite all her shrieking, Willie actually comes to "save the day" a few times - and people seem to forget that Indy spent much of "Raiders" rescuing Marion!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's true about Marion, but her character was completely different than Wille, in a very good way. Karen Allen was just as important to the success of Raiders as Harrison Ford. You definitely cannot say the same for Kate Capshaw IMO, at all.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's true about Marion, but her character was completely different than Wille, in a very good way. Karen Allen was just as important to the success of Raiders as Harrison Ford. You definitely cannot say the same for Kate Capshaw IMO, at all.

Obviously Marion and Willie were very different, and I don't actually like the Willie character. Always felt phony that Indy went for her because she was such a whiny prima donna.

Just saying that Willie wasn't quite the helpless nothing some imply - and Marion wasn't quite the tough as nails "get it done" babe they imply as well! :D

Can't agree that Allen had as much to do with the movie's success as HF. She contributed but she's not nearly as significant a factor...

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We'll just have to agree to disagree about Marion. IMO her relationship with Indy is the backbone of the film, and the interplay of the two characters helps define the very narrative of the story. The same cannot be said for Willie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
We'll just have to agree to disagree about Marion. IMO her relationship with Indy is the backbone of the film, and the interplay of the two characters helps define the very narrative of the story. The same cannot be said for Willie.

Again, I agree that Marion is important, but not as important as Indy. That's like saying Mary Jane is as important to "Spider-Man" as Peter Parker.

You could lose Marion and still have a great film. You can't lose Indy!

LCD22

Screenwriter
I must be the only one immune to Willie's screaming. The first three films I love equally. I own the 2003 Best Buy DVD set. Between not including the new Raiders' "fly-on-the-wall" documentary on the single Blu-ray and the back-and-forth debate on whether the color timing is accurate, I never bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks